What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: Clare on July 24, 2014, 07:34:27 AM
The Hobbit.

And, no, I've not read it before!  :-[

How fun to be able to read it for the first time.

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on July 24, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: Clare on July 24, 2014, 07:34:27 AM
The Hobbit.

And, no, I've not read it before!  :-[

How fun to be able to read it for the first time.
Yes, I'm liking it so far.  :)
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

AugustineA

He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Pheo

Finished The Way of Kings, now onto Words of Radiance.  One of the things I like most about Sanderson so far is the restraint he shows in his storylines.  He really lets the stories unfold naturally, but he gives you more than enough to make them page turners.  At least that's been my experience so far.

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Jacob

The Reverse of the Medal, by O'Brian.  I am getting into unfamiliar territory again.  I have read FSW many times, but not the next one in the series and I've been waiting to see the continuation of events from FSW.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Daniel

I'm just finishing up reading the Apocalypse (in the original 1582 Rheims New Testament).  Does anyone know of a good traditional commentary on it?

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Older Salt

Not reading it yet, but I just ordered "The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde".
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

maryslittlegarden

Rereading the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Gandolf rocks and Frodo Lives!
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Dom Passerini

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on July 30, 2014, 02:42:10 PM

Samwise lives!

Love that story and have read it many, many times.  I was always more enthusiastic about Sam than Frodo to begin with, and then the movies cemented that position even more.  Am not a fan of the Elijah Wood Frodo.

Have you ever read the Silmarillion?
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Pheo

Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 30, 2014, 03:10:23 PMHave you ever read the Silmarillion?

Gotta jump in here and say that this is probably my favourite Tolkien book.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Dom Passerini

Quote from: Pheo on July 30, 2014, 08:09:51 PM
Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 30, 2014, 03:10:23 PMHave you ever read the Silmarillion?

I really really really like it, too.  Not sure if I can definitively say I like it better than lotr, but between the hobbit and the silmarillion, no contest.  It has a biblical feel to it.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Chestertonian

Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 30, 2014, 08:21:02 PM
Quote from: Pheo on July 30, 2014, 08:09:51 PM

I really really really like it, too.  Not sure if I can definitively say I like it better than lotr, but between the hobbit and the silmarillion, no contest.  It has a biblical feel to it.
+1
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 30, 2014, 03:10:23 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on July 30, 2014, 02:42:10 PM

Samwise lives!

Love that story and have read it many, many times.  I was always more enthusiastic about Sam than Frodo to begin with, and then the movies cemented that position even more.  Am not a fan of the Elijah Wood Frodo.

Have you ever read the Silmarillion?

Yeah, I'm more of a Samwise fan than Frodo.  I'm slowly working my way the Silmarillion - I like it very much.