What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm saying the Irish fascination of low mass and hatred for pomp and ceremony is a bad thing.  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 02, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on July 01, 2015, 09:17:19 AM
Raised Catholic by Ed Stivender

What's it about and how is it?
Growing up Catholic in the 50s. A traddy's dream come true. At parochial school, when a priest or nun entered the room, all the children stood up from their desks. The boys bowed and the girls curtsied. The author remembers a nun who had a lock of hair escape her wimple. He was stunned to realize nuns had hair.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Chestertonian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 03, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 03, 2015, 09:56:11 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 03, 2015, 09:49:03 AM
Finished why Catholics can't sung by Thomas day. 

Great book.

I've heard great things about that. I even read a little bit of it online. What do you think of his thesis? I think it has some merit myself, though I haven't read the book in it's entirety so I can't judge all his opinions on the subject of why singing has never really taken off in the United States.

I generally like it and agree.

It's varied, I think.  American Catholicism suffered by having the heavy irish influence, and that mixed with the Council, helped squash good Catholic singing. 

People also didn't see something as important or necessary for them.  And the postconciliar church has been trying to beat the laity to sing.

Couple that with craptastic hymns that cant be sung by a congregation, along with the OVERBEARING MICROPHONE SHOUTING AT YOU FOR AN HOUR, and it's not a wonder why most catholics dont sing.

Also, JFKs funeral being a paltry Low Mass, the should have been high point of American Catholicism, was no help at all.

i blame the English
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Archer

First time reading Patrick O'Brian and, although I just started, I'm already getting sucked in.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Chestertonian

Quote from: Archer on July 03, 2015, 05:20:54 PM

First time reading Patrick O'Brian and, although I just started, I'm already getting sucked in.
excellent book
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Arun

Quote from: Archer on July 03, 2015, 05:20:54 PM

is that same as the russel crow movie?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Archer

Yeah, the movie is loosely based on this book as well as a book later in the series titled "The Far Side of the World."

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LausTibiChriste

Never knew it was a book. Thanks Archer, I'll have to give it a read
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 04, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
Never knew it was a book. Thanks Archer, I'll have to give it a read

It's a series... which reminds me, I should start rereading those. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

Waiting for the Apocalypse.... 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

JubilateDeo

Obviously it's not a fashion book.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: JubilateDeo on July 06, 2015, 09:01:14 PM

Whadda mean!?! Dad's tie matches the girls' vest/skirt...thingy!

Arun

Quote from: JubilateDeo on July 06, 2015, 09:01:14 PM

that fabric would make nice curtains though, or upholstery fabric.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Chestertonian

they almost look like a family habit