Ideas on How to Petition for the TLM

Started by aseeker, November 06, 2023, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aseeker

I currently reside in the Diocese of Raleigh, and this year our Bishop (Dear Luis Rafael Zarama) basically restricted/limited where and who could offer the TLM.

I want to petition my Bishop to allow more priests to offer the TLM. There is even a wonderful priest within my parish that could offer it (if allowed).

Has anyone tried petitioning their Bishops and requesting the TLM? What were your tactics? Where you successful? And do you have any suggestions?   :confused:

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

I haven't petitioned my bishop because we have a TLM parish that we're happy with.

But if I had to, I would simply beg.  I would not argue, complain, or attempt to litigate.  I would not threaten to withhold my tithe or to skip out and go to the SSPX.  I would not malign his previous decision, his character, or his staff.  I would just beg.

I would also praise the TLM (without comparing it to the Novus Ordo) and tell him how wonderful it has been for our family (without contrasting it against the experience of the Novus Ordo.)

I'd probably start with a letter.  And if I didn't get the answer I want, I'd send another letter.  I'd follow it up with phone calls and attempt to get some time on his calendar as well.  And I'd encourage my friends and family to do the same and in the same manner.
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on November 06, 2023, 10:48:58 AMI haven't petitioned my bishop because we have a TLM parish that we're happy with.

But if I had to, I would simply beg.  I would not argue, complain, or attempt to litigate.  I would not threaten to withhold my tithe or to skip out and go to the SSPX.  I would not malign his previous decision, his character, or his staff.  I would just beg.

I would also praise the TLM (without comparing it to the Novus Ordo) and tell him how wonderful it has been for our family (without contrasting it against the experience of the Novus Ordo.)

I'd probably start with a letter.  And if I didn't get the answer I want, I'd send another letter.  I'd follow it up with phone calls and attempt to get some time on his calendar as well.  And I'd encourage my friends and family to do the same and in the same manner.

This is the way. We don't have the upper hand - appearing aggressive in ANY way, will shoot you/us in the foot.

Beg like the humble, liturgically malnourished humans that we are.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Severinus

If he won't allow the true mass, you should contact the SSPX, SSPV, CMRI, an independent priest, what have you, for a mission in your area.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Acolyte

Quote from: Lynne on November 06, 2023, 03:23:57 PMhttps://fsspx.today/chapel/nc-raleigh/info/

There ya go.

As far as a diocese TLM, I think a priest willing to pray the TLM would have a better chance getting approval. He'd at least have a good chance to ask the Bishop in person.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Michael Wilson

The "winds" are blowing in the wrong direction on this issue since Pope Francis published "Traditio Custodes"; further declarations from him have been even more critical of the TLM. You can petition your bishop all you want, but if a priest who is now celebrating the N.O.M. Desires to celebrate the TLM he needs permission from Rome; and good luck with that.
Quoteยง 6. to take care not to authorize the establishment of new groups.

Art. 4. Priests ordained after the publication of the present Motu Proprio, who wish to celebrate using the Missale Romanum of 1962, should submit a formal request to the diocesan Bishop who shall consult the Apostolic See before granting this authorization.

Art. 5. Priests who already celebrate according to the Missale Romanum of 1962 should request from the diocesan Bishop the authorization to continue to enjoy this faculty.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

benedicite

What I would suggest is that you attend the TLM where it is available. If so many people attend that particular mass then he may out of necessity feel a need to expand.

clau clau

Quote from: Michael Wilson on November 06, 2023, 05:55:54 PMThe "winds" are blowing in the wrong direction on this issue since Pope Francis published "Traditio Custodes"

Yep, nailed it.  Tradition in Custody!

Icon of Jesus Christ in Prison

https://skete.com/product/jesus-christ-in-prison-j74/
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

aseeker

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I apologize for the late response, I have been away for work.

Unfortunately attending a TLM is not possible where I live, the closest is over an hour away. Even though the winds are not blowing in our favor, I will write to my bishop and request (beg). I might also go with Acolyte's suggestion.  :)

QuaeriteDominum

Twenty years ago, because the closest TLM was an hour away, I uprooted my family to move to a different state where the TLM is offered three times each day. My children are now all married and all enjoy daily Mass with their families.

When you put together the pros and cons of making such a drastic move, I'd be interested in seeing the cons that outweigh daily Mass.

EastWest7

I'll reply with the situation in the Cleveland diocese. We have been blessed geographically over the years with 12 diocesan TLMs, three SSPX parishes (Cleveland, Akron, one in the Youngstown diocese, 50 minutes from me). We also have a SSPV and at least one CMRI parish.
Last summer our good bishop (Edward Matesic) appears to have gotten around the Traditiones edict and has kept 2 of 12 diocesan TLMs open (one in Cleveland and one in Akron).
Due to the clustering/shutdowns of parishes over recent years he took two that were in beautiful, historic buildings but that shared a priest with another parish and only offered like, one Mass a weekend.
With the aforementioned two he designated their status as "shrines" I believe. And then he got permission from Rome to keep them open.
The only downside is that I understand Rome's permission was for an extension of two years (which makes me think that in two years, Rome will shut them down, but who knows).
So if there are any small parishes (with reduced attendance over recent years and are at risk to being shut down) perhaps you write a polite letter to your bishop and request that such a parish be designated a shrine and offer the TLM?
I realize that Raleigh is no doubt quite different from Cleveland (plus I think we are blessed with a stand up bishop) however just thought I'd suggest this possible option. Prayers for you and good luck!  :pray2:   

Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.