What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyfulMother

Quote from: red solo cup on October 27, 2013, 09:34:14 AM
Just finished "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coulombe. This was excellent. From 1492 up to Vatican II.
This was a real eye opener. I had no idea how much FDR changed the way government works.

I read this earlier this year.  Awesome book!  Amazing the puritan influence in America, it goes so deep, and I love how Coulombe shows the ways it affected the Catholic Church here in America.  The roots of Americanism.

He made one comment in the book that blew me away - that most European Catholics see the Baltimore Catechism as too soft and skirting heresy!  I wonder what catechism Coulombe would recommend?  I would love to ask him.

Der Kaiser

"Deep book" Julius Evola Revolt against the Modern World. "Fun Book" Dracula Bram Stoker "School Book" Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Usually I just read two a "deep" and a "fun" one but, now I have a school book
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

erin is nice

Quote from: JoyfulMother on October 27, 2013, 02:31:56 PM
Just finished "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coulombe. This was excellent. From 1492 up to Vatican II.
This was a real eye opener. I had no idea how much FDR changed the way government works.

I read this earlier this year.  Awesome book!  Amazing the puritan influence in America, it goes so deep, and I love how Coulombe shows the ways it affected the Catholic Church here in America.  The roots of Americanism.

He made one comment in the book that blew me away - that most European Catholics see the Baltimore Catechism as too soft and skirting heresy!  I wonder what catechism Coulombe would recommend?  I would love to ask him.

Coulombe doesn't believe in Baptism of desire, so of course he will take issue with the Baltimore. I can find out for you what catechism he thinks people should use.

Larry

Quote from: erin is nice on October 30, 2013, 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: JoyfulMother on October 27, 2013, 02:31:56 PM

Coulombe doesn't believe in Baptism of desire, so of course he will take issue with the Baltimore. I can find out for you what catechism he thinks people should use.

It's probably the Catechism of St. John Neumann. That's the one that the St. Benedict Center recommends.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Othmar

I've been reading from Carl Sagan's Cosmos every now and then. Whenever he mentions historical stuff, it's really annoying. It's as if historiography never moved beyond Gibbon for him.

piabee

Someday, Someday, Maybe, by Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood fame.

I'm also getting my hair chemically straightened right now and I think the stylist forgot about me.

Parresia

I'm working my way through the Navarre Study Bible series, and also reading Christ, the Ideal of the Monk, by Blessed Columba Marimon, OSB. 

dueSicilie

"The Conquest of New Spain" by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, one of the Conquistadores  that conquered Mexico.

ConverteNosDeus

I just finished reading The Scarlet Letter for my English class and I really enjoyed it.

Clare

I've just finished The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Fr Arminjon, and raved about by St Therese of Lisieux.

Lined up next is Archbishop Lefebvre's Pastoral Letters.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Clare on October 31, 2013, 04:28:23 PM
I've just finished The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Fr Arminjon, and raved about by St Therese of Lisieux.

I've been thinking of reading the Fr Arminjon book- did you like it?

Quote from: ConverteNosDeus on October 31, 2013, 01:21:53 PM
I just finished reading The Scarlet Letter for my English class and I really enjoyed it.

Hmmm- I should dig out that book and reread it.  It's been awhile.  Did you know that one of Nathaniel Hawthorne's daughters was a Catholic convert who started a religious community (the Hawthorne Dominicans)?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

JoyfulMother

We really need a book swap...  Some of these books I don't have access to or the money to buy.

I would like to red Abp. Lefevbre's "They Have Uncrowned Him".

Clare

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 31, 2013, 07:50:12 PM
Quote from: Clare on October 31, 2013, 04:28:23 PM

I've been thinking of reading the Fr Arminjon book- did you like it?
Yes, it had some good insights. It doesn't seem to have an imprimatur, unless you count St Therese's endorsement.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Elizabeth

Quote from: ConverteNosDeus on October 31, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

You DID????  Please share why!  My student is doing it for home school and it's killing me.  What am I missing?