What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannelore

Quote from: angelcookie on April 20, 2017, 06:20:48 PM
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Movie to follow

You listen to the podcast? Either This American Life, or Radiolab, not sure which.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Hannelore

Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine. One of my all-time, desert island-worthy favorite books. Thank God for my kindle: I want to cover this text with annotations!  :swoon:
My Lord and my God.

Hannelore

"Cymbeline," from Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. E. Nesbit's Arden books make so much more sense, now that I see how thoroughly familiar she was with Shakespeare! :)

"That which is lost shall be found; that which came not, shall come again! In this world's goods you shall be blessed, and blessed in the goods of the heart also."

Also:

"All which I took from thee I did but take,   
  Not for thy harms,   
But just that thou might'st seek it in My arms.   
  All which thy child's mistake   
Fancies as lost, I have stored for thee at home:        
  Rise, clasp My hand, and come!' "
- "The Hound of Heaven," by Francis Thompson.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Quote from: Christina_S on April 19, 2016, 09:23:40 PM
Finished Kristin Lavransdatter! There aren't many books that I strongly want to read over and over again, but this is one of the few. What a picture of medieval Christianity it painted, and what a character Kristin is! I can see how reading this book as a teenager is very different from reading it as a young mother, or as a widow, since Kristin faces all of those periods with different attitudes and amounts of grace. Like it or hate it, it's an interesting book.
And...I'm returning to it just over a year later! Reading it during my flight on Wednesday.  :)
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 21, 2017, 08:44:31 AM

Movie to follow

Very good book

Very.  Also a bit unfair to the hospital where Lacks was treated, however.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

clau clau

The Vision of the Anointed - by Thomas Sowell

A nice lady from Gaithersburg, Maryland sent me a copy.  It's a great book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vision_of_the_Anointed
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Clare

Quote from: Christina_S on April 24, 2017, 12:05:37 PM
Quote from: Christina_S on April 19, 2016, 09:23:40 PM
Finished Kristin Lavransdatter! There aren't many books that I strongly want to read over and over again, but this is one of the few. What a picture of medieval Christianity it painted, and what a character Kristin is! I can see how reading this book as a teenager is very different from reading it as a young mother, or as a widow, since Kristin faces all of those periods with different attitudes and amounts of grace. Like it or hate it, it's an interesting book.
And...I'm returning to it just over a year later! Reading it during my flight on Wednesday.  :)
That must be a long flight!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

angelcookie

Quote from: Bernadette on April 21, 2017, 07:44:38 AM

Movie to follow

You listen to the podcast? Either This American Life, or Radiolab, not sure which.

No never heard of it

Hannelore

Just finished The Wonderful Garden. I'm somewhat embarrassed to have to admit that it took about 4 readings for it to dawn on me, what Nesbit was doing in this one. Which means that her target audience probably never would have gotten it, so that's a comfort. ;) The woman deserves a medal, for trying to maintain and foster a sense of wonder in her child readers.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Quote from: Clare on April 25, 2017, 02:19:34 PM
That must be a long flight!
18 hrs. And I'll a couple weeks before spring classes start when I get back, so I'll spend a lot of time reading and drinking tea then  ;D
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Hannelore

Learning to Go to School in Japan: The Transition from Home to Preschool Life, by Lois Peak. Fascinating insight into cultural expectations governing life as a group in Japan, and how these are taught primarily in school, rather than at home. Gives me a lot of insight into my grandma's life.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on April 28, 2017, 11:55:18 AM
Learning to Go to School in Japan: The Transition from Home to Preschool Life, by Lois Peak. Fascinating insight into cultural expectations governing life as a group in Japan, and how these are taught primarily in school, rather than at home. Gives me a lot of insight into my grandma's life.

When was that written?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"