What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

The book was very good but kind of challenging to read. Bouyer has a convoluted way of speaking. That combined with it's being translated from the French led me to often reread several previous pages to be sure if he was for or against any particular subject.
He was a Lutheran pastor who converted to Catholicism. He knew Thomas Merton from seminary. Said he was painfully shy. He worked with T.S. Eliot on a journal of religion and philosophy called Dieu Vivant. He was good friends with Tolkein having spent a lot of time in England.
There was also lots of tittle tattle from behind the scenes at Vatican II. Bouyer was always enthusiastic for liturgical reform till he wound up on a committee for that at Vat2. He realized he'd made a terrible mistake when he saw what they wanted to do. He even tried to resign a couple of times but Paul IV wouldn't accept it.
Some of the things were hard to comprehend. At one point there was a serious attempt to remove all the Poles from the list of saints.
Some even considered eliminating Ash Wednesday. When Bouyer referred to Bugnini and his friends he used words such as lunatic and malicious. Bugnini was one of the few who had access to Paul at the time. He would go to Paul and say the cardinals were unanimous on something when in fact they were against it. Then he would go to the cardinals and say that Paul was demanding something the cardinals were against. He played both sides against each other.
Bouyer's contention was that Paul quickly approved everything the council wanted to bring it to a quick end before "the chaos spread".

Arun

i picked up a book that has the magician's nephew, lion the witch and the wardrobe, and the horse and his boy for a couple dollars. never read the first one before, reading it with my children. diggory has just rung the bell... wonder what's coming up lol.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Hannelore

Quote from: Arun on October 04, 2015, 03:38:18 AM
i picked up a book that has the magician's nephew, lion the witch and the wardrobe, and the horse and his boy for a couple dollars. never read the first one before, reading it with my children. diggory has just rung the bell... wonder what's coming up lol.

What a treat. :) My aunt got me the set when I was seven. I read them so many times over the years, that I wore them out! :lol:
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. Very good.

Lynne

Sin Revisited by Solange Hertz, also very good!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Hannelore

Slave Narratives: Arkansas, Volume 4. I'm cleaning it up for the Kindle.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Just finished A Guide to Elegance by Madame Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, a French fashion expert during the 60s and 70s. The book was first published in 1962, but some of the advice that she gives is pretty well timeless. It covers things like accessories, pearls, hairstyle, and generally, how to be an elegant lady. Pretty good little book.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Clare

All For Jesus, by Fr Faber

Read it a few years ago. I like it because it sets the bar lower than Growth In Holiness does!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

MundaCorMeum

queen.saints

Re-reading the short story Where Love Is by Tolstoy and still don't know how to feel about it.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Prayerful

Volume IV of Jonathan Sumption's history of the Hundred Year War Cursed Kings. He is a judge of the UK's Supreme Court, the first I think, and a barrister who charged around 800,000 for a few weeks of work when working as barrister.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace