World Cup 2018

Started by LausTibiChriste, June 17, 2018, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

I enjoy Hockey, Football and real (U.S.A.) Football. Am pulling for Spain; Go Furia Roja!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

With all the American football style wrestling of him to the ground it, would appear that the Tunisian and Panama players HAVE.

Need to start red-carding some of these wogs.  More space on the pitch and better goals.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

A friend of mine has 2 tickets in a corporate box for the next England v Belgium game Thur 28th June in Russia. He paid $1000 each including the flights but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at St George's Church, Portsmouth, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty and is a really good cook.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jacob

Quote from: Greg on June 25, 2018, 09:21:33 AM
It's at St George's Church, Portsmouth, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty and is a really good cook.

If I have a guarantee she'll say yes if I show, maybe I will drop by.  ;)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Greg

You want a guarantee for a maybe?

Tirekicker!

Jacob

Quote from: Greg on June 25, 2018, 11:51:26 AM
You want a guarantee for a maybe?

Tirekicker!

I am, I really am.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

And Korea beat Germany

This tournament is nucking futs.

I'm putting $10 on Croatia for shits n giggles.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

It's great to see England knocked out (they will be) but the Germans knocked out is even more marvelous.

Not the first time the Germans went to Russia unprepared and failed to get to Moscow.

English are playing better than I have ever seen before (including 1986).  They scored some pretty high quality goals in this competition.

Can it last?  No.

Two completely new teams in the final would be my wish.

But now that Wayne Rooney is not playing I am half tempted to watch England's next game.  Can't watch when that meat-head is on the pitch.  My have to listen on the radio to avoid the tattoos.

LausTibiChriste

England's playing terrific. I was supposed to be at the Panama game on Sunday but sadly work got in the way and can't make it.

It's coming home
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

clau clau

Don't mention the VAR.  I did, but I think I got away with it.

auf wiedersehen Germany.

context:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0[/yt]
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Greg

Last time they looked this miserable was when my wife's dedushka saw them in Berlin.

Frank

Quote from: clau clau on June 27, 2018, 12:36:33 PM
Don't mention the VAR.  I did, but I think I got away with it.

auf wiedersehen Germany.

context:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0[/yt]

The pun on VAR (war) is screamingly funny. You should put it on FB. It will go viral.
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Xavier

England huffed and puffed and lost to Belgium! Sure, they were saying this time is different, but then, they say that every time! Few other countries in the world could manage to have players as talented as Gerard, Lampard, Beckham, Rooney, Owen, Cole and others over the last 20 odd years and still lose, no further than the quarterfinals. : D But anyway, they just might get to the semis this time, because the draw gives them easier expected opponents.

So, now that the last 16 are decided, anyone bold enough to venture a prediction for how it will turn out?!

Mine:

Pre-Quarters: Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, in the first half that will play each other; Spain, Croatia, Sweden, England, in the other.
Quarters: Portugal beat Argentina; Brazil edges past Belgium; Spain defeats Croatia; England huff and puff past Sweden
Semis: Portugal beat Brazil, thanks to Ronaldo; Spain sends England home.
Finals: Spain closely beats Portugal in a repeat of the thriller in the group stage.

Ok, maybe some of that is just what I would like to happen. :D Anyone has any other predictions for the knockout stages?
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Greg