What are your thoughts on Jordan B Peterson?

Started by Matto, February 24, 2018, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: abc123 on February 26, 2018, 05:23:26 AM
As others have pointed out, he makes a lot of practical sense regarding various social ills of the day.

Though raised in a Christian (protestant) home he is not a Christian. I'm currently reading his: Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief which seems to be heavily influenced by Carl Jung. I'm not very far into it but his conception of God seems to be along the lines of a collective subconscious 'archetype' which is neither personal nor almighty. Instead, concepts such as 'god' and 'religion' arise from needs deep within the human psyche. He acknowledges the benefits of religion and ritual as a way to ground man as a person and in turn the larger society.

I doubt he is on his way to embracing small (o) orthodox Christianity but who am I to guess at the ways of the Holy Spirit?

I came across a video in which he discusses his religious views.  He is not a Christian now, but does seem to be open to it.   That topic starts at about 33 minutes and goes to 48 min.:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iaERTETvE[/yt]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: grids7 on March 14, 2018, 01:03:50 PM
I enjoy watching the reactions to his responses, when an interviewer asks Peterson a question of the form, "Surely, you don't mean <X>?", wherein the interviewer and/or audience is expecting the hedge of "Well, not quite that, let me explain what I really mean..."  And he simply responds with, "Yes, I do."

I understand that the example you give is very refreshing and is apt to build confidence in those who understand something is very wrong in our society and look for explanations and solutions.

I have not had occasion to listen to, or read, Peterson. In fact, I never even heard of him until others have brought up the idea that what he offers is possibly what we might label a limited hangout.

There was much discussion on youtube about a question Jordan Peterson was asked about Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn with follow-up concerning  the starvation and genocide that occurred at Holodomor in the 1930's. Apparently Peterson could not bring himself to comment and he seemed to be agitated and displayed physical stress at his inability to do so. He eventually said, "I can't do this".

One would be justified to ask, "why can't he do this?". 

E. Michael Jones was asked his opinion on Peterson and this clip is taken from a recent interview. 

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pf1cRQiDSM[/yt]
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Gerard

Peterson has to be really careful of what he says due to Canadian laws against hate speech. He could end up in jail penniless and destroyed very quickly.  There is a lot of speculation about him entering into politics.  I wouldn't be surprised if the question was a planted one in order to paint him with the "Nazi" brush. 

bigbadtrad

The man uses frequently blasphemy and the sad reality is we are trying to cleave to people who are seemingly on our side because they are clever with their phrases, but anyone who uses blasphemy frequently, no matter how much people like his clever responses, is still an enemy of society.

1 word of blasphemy is worse than murder.

He's also pro-homo.

Part of the problem, not the solution, and worse confirming 1 person to the homo religion is worse than anyone can imagine.

And yet we look to men like him? I hope not.

(if someone excuses this due to subjective culpability of habit misses the point and strengthens my own to what he's doing to society and strengthens the common use of blasphemy)
"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

Gerard

Quote from: bigbadtrad on April 12, 2018, 04:50:47 AM
The man uses frequently blasphemy and the sad reality is we are trying to cleave to people who are seemingly on our side because they are clever with their phrases, but anyone who uses blasphemy frequently, no matter how much people like his clever responses, is still an enemy of society.

He's also pro-homo.

Part of the problem, not the solution, and worse confirming 1 person to the homo religion is worse than anyone can imagine.

(if someone excuses this due to subjective culpability of habit misses the point and strengthens my own to what he's doing to society and strengthens the common use of blasphemy)

What specifically are you referring to?  I'm not challenging you, I'm genuinely unaware of what particular blasphemy he's uttered.  I know he's not Catholic and subscribes to a lot of evolutionary nonsense and bogus scientific studies.  But I've never hear him heap abuse upon God or particular belief systems or Catholicism. 

Livenotonevil

Quote from: bigbadtrad on April 12, 2018, 04:50:47 AM

He's also pro-homo.

Well,

1. You have a pretty nice icon as your profile picture. CHRISTOS VOSKRESE!

2. He's one of the few people who have managed to speak up to the lawlessness of the West and gather a significant following (not to mention help change the lives of several of his followers). There's an invisible social algorithm in place that's meant to demonize anybody who disagrees with this lawlessness, and he is one of the first major people to overcome it, literally using this algorithm of demonization to reveal those people for what they are - literal lawlessness - but unlike a lot of people who succumb to it, he has stood up to it and withstands it.

If perhaps more Christian people were to be brave, show more intellectual honesty and willingness to have a discussion (considering that apostasy has prevented them from believing in the 10 Commandments) withstanding this demonic algorithm, perhaps we would have better alternatives.

It is better to be Cyrus of Persia than it is to be Nebuchadnezzar. Neither are Moses or David, but perhaps we should work on ourselves so that we are capable to God to have a Moses or David.
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Kreuzritter

He's a man searching. Whether he can use his strong capacity for reason to overcome his enslavement to it is going to be a matter of His good will and God's grace. One real encounter with the supernatural  will shatter a man's view of reality.

bigbadtrad

Quote from: Gerard on April 12, 2018, 12:21:05 PM

What specifically are you referring to?  I'm not challenging you, I'm genuinely unaware of what particular blasphemy he's uttered.  I know he's not Catholic and subscribes to a lot of evolutionary nonsense and bogus scientific studies.  But I've never hear him heap abuse upon God or particular belief systems or Catholicism.

His non-TV interviews with Youtube personalities, or some of his lectures. The fact he doesn't use it on TV but uses it liberally when being interviewed informally shows me he knows when and how he uses it.

I've known about him about 6 months ago and watched a few videos and I discovered he's against multiple genders, pro-homo, uses frequent blasphemy, and pro-feminism. Yes, he does make some good points, don't deny it, but uses vicious language. When he knows it's not being used for TV he turns it on.

"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

Gerard

Quote from: bigbadtrad on April 12, 2018, 07:43:22 PM
Quote from: Gerard on April 12, 2018, 12:21:05 PM

His non-TV interviews with Youtube personalities, or some of his lectures. The fact he doesn't use it on TV but uses it liberally when being interviewed informally shows me he knows when and how he uses it.

I've known about him about 6 months ago and watched a few videos and I discovered he's against multiple genders, pro-homo, uses frequent blasphemy, and pro-feminism. Yes, he does make some good points, don't deny it, but uses vicious language. When he knows it's not being used for TV he turns it on.

What specifically do you mean by "uses frequent blasphemy?"  Can you cite a few examples? 

bigbadtrad

I don't have time to listen to videos but he'll say "Jesus Christ" at the beginning of a sentence.

Elizabeth

Lamentable use of the Holy Name, but sometimes people do that unconsciously -- but not to blaspheme.  Sometimes it's a plea.  (for all my colorful language, I don't use profane Our Lord's name, thankfully, but sometimes ignorant people do not intend mortal sins.)

I loved some of his thoughts on sociopathy and the like.  He's got a lot of charisma.