Healing suggestion for depreason and anxiety

Started by martin88nyc, December 13, 2017, 03:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Akathisia is what I am currently going through. This means inner restlessness, anxiety, depression and at times inner terror. What sound or healing music could help. I know there are healing vibrations but they usually are new age or something. This is very traumatic and only God can heal my mind but there are other simple methods to speed up the process. I jut heard about tapping.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Chestertonian

Cognitive behavioral therapy is very effective as far as the statistics go.  From what I've done it is very consistent with Catholic thought.  The relationship between the client and therapist will make or break it.

My therapist is not straight up CBT based he is more eclectic but the cbt techniques we have gone over together have been helpful
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Carleendiane

I find Byrds 3 part Mass setting very soothing. St. John the Baptist 3 part. Is that Byrd?. Now I am not sure. But pretty much anything Byrd, or Palestina is very beautiful.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Lumen Christi

You could try journaling, either by writing down how you're feeling in order to detect harmful patterns of thinking or behavior, or in the form of a gratitude journal, so you're focused on what you're grateful for.

Carleendiane

Martin, I would NOT be looking for any thing going on that seems concerning, but saturate my mind with soothing sounds and nothing that would provoke anxiety, which is the crux of the matter. For your normal Joe Journaling is a very good thing to do. But you are anything but average. You do not need anything that zeros in on the fears and worry over your well being. You need all that is soothing right now. All that is mellow, and nothing that could provoke anxiety. If you concentrate hard enough, you may find things that provoke fears about your well being. You job is to relax you mind. I in no way find lumens suggestion inappropriate for your average sickie, but for the anxiety riddden, such as you, I think I would concentrate even more on soothing your fears.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

Writing can be a way of externalizing thoughts for some.  It's on paper which can give you detachment from the thoughts
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

ServusMariae

Martin, I know things are really, really, really tough on your side right now. Take some of my poor prayers (& some hugs) to help you through. :pray1::pray2: :pray3:

First & foremost - As what Ches suggested, seeing a psychotherapist for CBT can be an effective avenue to help you tame the horrifying anxiety that you experience on a daily basis. It has helped me twice in conquering General Anxiety Disorder & PTSD/grief in breaking up with a certain "transgender" friend - & I testify to its efficacy. It really works. (but it also depends on your rapport with the psychotherapist, which can indeed "make or break" the therapy as a whole.) If you need emotional backing, you can also seek help from a (Catholic) counsellor. :)

Secondly, you can keep a physical journal to monitor anxiety attacks - its frequency & severity. Jot down on what triggered the attack, what you thought & what you felt. Best to present journal entries with a psychotherapist so that he/she can best advise you on how to better handle emergency attacks in the near future - & who knows, she/he can even teach you some relaxation techniques that can be really useful & quick to execute in the most horrible of times. & oh yeah! I think I forgot to add this in, but in the event of a legit anxiety emergency & you have no one to call for help: stop, drop & take DEEEEEEP breaths. (Inhale for 20 seconds, exhale 20 seconds) Your breathing is the first & foremost thing to attend because you whole being will be thrown out of whack & you will have the tendency to hyperventilate in an anxiety crisis. Once you tackle the breathing, ground yourself in the present. Be aware of your surroundings. Look up to things that you can immediately see with your sight. Take a glimpse of the colour of your shirt. Then be at peace. :)

Last but not least, continue to stick to your akathisia & anxiety medication. If they help, stick to it. If they don't do anything, heckle your doctor for a stronger change. I hope that whatever I have just typed here may be of some use to you, & remember that you are never alone. Never. Our Lord & Our Lady loves you, & in all your helplessness that you are in, do offer your sufferings for the salvation of souls & for the conversion of sinners. A suffering soul is never far from the Sacred Heart of Christ - even at your doorstep. :grouphug:

(P.S: listen to some upbeat yet soothing classical music. It helps. ;) )

mikemac

I see Akathisia is associated with Parkinson's disease.  Medical marijuana helps people with Parkinson's disease.  So I did a search for 'medical marijuana for Akathisia patients' and found this video.  Notice how quick it takes him to stop shaking.  Folks don't call me evil for suggesting this.  God love ya Martin.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAi0N2cL3yA[/yt]
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Older Salt

Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Carleendiane

I stand corrected, Martin, it seems several here find Journaling a good thing. As if you can just play music to calm the anxiety you are dealing with. Getting it out probably is better than keeping it in. There are many here who know by experience and I would rather you listen to them. Apologies Lumen. :)

MundaCorMeum

I agree with journaling.  It's helpful to just get the thoughts OUT of your brain, so they stop swarming, circling, and tormenting.  What I do not recommend is keeping the journals afterwards, and revisiting that frame of mind over and over again.  Instead, I find it helpful (though I'm not return good at this part), is to refill the gap with better thinking.  Maybe look up all the Scripture verses on healing, or God's love, or encouragement, self-worth, joy, etc.... whatever it is you feel you are lacking.  It can really help change thought patterns for some people.

martin88nyc

Thanks for good suggestions. However I now suffer mainly from internal akathisia. Internal fear anxiety that starts when my bowel is moving. I noticed the pattern. Am of my internal muscles and guts fell tense. Even my chest and heart. I worry this could become irreversible or something. I know I cannot focus on this because it will only prolong my suffering. Please keep me in your prayers. I will start praying to St. Charbel and Our Lady of Lourdes. If you have any suggestions my dear friend as to which saint I should pray for healing let me know. May God Bless you all.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Lumen Christi

St. Dymphna is another good saint to consult when it comes to mental health.

You could also unite your anxieties with Our Lord's when He suffered in the garden of Gethsemane.