Explaining Millineals

Started by james03, October 06, 2017, 08:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

I know the greatest generation was not so great. They were the ones that hated what women were required to live like by the male run Church. They were the ones who may have complied, but cheered the boomers on as they limited their families and sought after material wealth, and lived like the laws of the church were suggestions to accept, or not. The greatest generation was bitter, used formula instead of nursing, they cheered on their girls being feminist minded, though many did not have the guts to publicly let their attitudes be known publicly. They did not care that their men run church was crumbling, their Mass and traditions were put away and a kinder more inclusive spirit took its place. No, the greatest generation secretly hated the authority of the Church, and many resented their large families and their necessary sacrifice, imposed sacrifice, and life of being slaves to those large families.

The boomers took their cue and threw off all authority which their parents hated and were bound by. This truly ushered in what we have now. Of course I'm speaking in general terms. You and I know exceptions to this. But that's what those that upheld the truth were, exceptions, a mere remnant. A remnant we owe the saving of our traditions and our liturgy. Just a mere remnant.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

red solo cup

The horrors of WWII cut a lot of them loose from their moorings, spiritual and otherwise. Then the GI Bill gave them a chance to be exposed to nihilism and liberal claptrap in the form of a college education.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Carleendiane

But, does any of this explain millenials? Think about it. Really isn't it just a merry go round. I mean, our fallen nature brings us round and round in our stubborn refusal to accept God's authority. There is nothing new under the sun. No matter the behavior going on, the attitudes behind our behaviors have been seen seen before. The industrial and technical revolution just allows different tools to facilitate the same behaviors.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Gardener

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 15, 2017, 06:28:24 PM
But, does any of this explain millenials? Think about it. Really isn't it just a merry go round. I mean, our fallen nature brings us round and round in our stubborn refusal to accept God's authority. There is nothing new under the sun. No matter the behavior going on, the attitudes behind our behaviors have been seen seen before. The industrial and technical revolution just allows different tools to facilitate the same behaviors.

Yes, it does. Because one can trace the behaviors of each successive generation in a pattern of learned behaviors which are exacerbated by the normalization of deviance.

That the constant is fallen human nature does not change the succession of deviance and its effects from generation to generation, until there is a reset process.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james03

QuotePassing the buck here.

I'm a Baby Boomer.
We speak in generalizations.  Two of my best friends are boomers.  One was a Force Recon Marine that chased the Vietcong around in the jungle and another was at the Khe Sahn seige.  Good guys.  Same with Millennials.  There's some hard working ones out there.

But in general, they are the Daycare Generation.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Carleendiane

Quote from: james03 on October 15, 2017, 07:33:56 PM

I'm a Baby Boomer.
We speak in generalizations.  Two of my best friends are boomers.  One was a Force Recon Marine that chased the Vietcong around in the jungle and another was at the Khe Sahn seige.  Good guys.  Same with Millennials.  There's some hard working ones out there.

Yes, we do speak in generalitizations. All generalizations WILL offend some caught up in these, but do not fit the generalization. Being a boomer myself, born in 58, and not truly fitting the profile for the boomer, I realize that there are no generalizations that fit everyone. My mother, though kind, feminine, and loved having each of her 8 children, serving us and whatnot, found New Church so much more acceptable than old church. She was never confirmed, and not properly catechised. So she did not have the formation or tools many women did have. Still the attitudes of the times infected this naturally virtuous woman. It was almost inevitable. Her infection, could not help but spread to me. It was up to me, when I found tradition, by the grace of God,to stop this progression. To see it did not infect my children. Which, it did not. Again, by the grace of God. But my mother's generation, did grave harm to the trust once possible in the  magisterial teaching of the Church. That generation gave us the belief that everything was up for debate. Everything of solid Catholic teaching was not so very solid, and that we could make our own choices, according to our own wills, and God would accept them as long as we did not forget Him in our chosen lifestyles.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Gardener on October 15, 2017, 05:13:09 PM
Fairly sure Fr. Ripperger pins it on the so-called Greatest Generation as well. They essentially started the snowball fight on top of the avalanche prone mountain. They failed to pass on and demand the adherence to Tradition (Secular and Religious) that they received.

I remember Fr. Ripperger had also talked about the Lost Generation that even before had failed to teach the Greatest Generation how to bear suffering and its value.

Lynne

Quote from: james03 on October 15, 2017, 07:33:56 PM

I'm a Baby Boomer.

I understand... I graduated from high school in 1973, when babies became truly disposable. But abortions happened long before that. Frank Sinatra's mother performed abortions.

And yes, I put my daughter in daycare. I realized, too late, that that wasn't a good thing (although I was very pleased with the type of daycare that we had) but my husband and I were tied into needing 2 incomes so I continued working.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Graham

The Boomer according to God:

QuoteAnd Isaias said to Ezechias: Hear the word of the Lord of hosts. Behold the days shall come, that all that is in thy house, and that thy fathers have laid up in store until this day, shall be carried away into Babylon: there shall not any thing be left, saith the Lord. And of thy children, that shall issue from thee, whom thou shalt beget, they shall take away, and they shall be eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon. And Ezechias said to Isaias: The word of the Lord, which he hath spoken, is good. And he said: Only let peace and truth be in my days.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: red solo cup on October 08, 2017, 08:42:03 AM
Quote from: Gardener on October 08, 2017, 06:35:08 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on October 08, 2017, 04:08:49 AM
I wonder how much of this is the result of the Everyone Gets a Trophy mentality. Being rewarded for no reason at all.

Whose generation was it that came up with that, btw? Wasn't the mil's, but the baby boomers.
Your right. I personally caused it and even though I was only twelve at the time I'm also responsible for Vatican II. I'm so ashamed.

Millenials are the sensitive ones tho, amirite?!  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on October 15, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: james03 on October 15, 2017, 08:35:07 AM
QuoteI resent the older generations abusing millennials.  We were robbed of our inheritance, now told how entitled we are. We were deprived of any real purpose to live, now told how lazy we are.

I chalk it up to Gen X fear that we are seeing the echo bubble of the baby boomers.  Gen X was the most conservative of the recent generations. We built the Trad movement.  We had the Trad babies.

No.  It's the result of the Boomers breaking the social contract and now fearing they are going to be made to pay the price, now that they are aging and becoming dependent on the younger generation.  Thus, the younger generation is all "Me Me Me" according to them.  But that's mere projection.  Every generation (insofar as it is possible) is supposed to make life better for the succeeding one.  Except the Boomers.  Cause they're special.  How dare their children expect of them what every generation in history has expected of its parents?

They're the ones that pushed outsourcing, mass immigration, ran up the debt to obscene levels which WE will have to pay off, caused the real estate and financial collapse which the government (that means US) were forced to bail out, since they refused to enforce anti-trust laws such that no enterprise would ever get "too big to fail", raised college tuition to obscene levels as well, making higher education a racket, and lots of other things.  But HEAVEN FORBID the bill be paid partly by reducing Social Security and Medicare.  No, we're not going to pay for a $15M hospital bill just so you can (maybe) live for another month, say Gen X and Millenials. HOW DARE YOU???

This is a great post. 

And, it's so very true.  Boomers will go to their death pissing away as much money as they can, because it is, and always has been, about themselves. 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 15, 2017, 10:29:22 PM
Quote from: Gardener on October 15, 2017, 05:13:09 PM
Fairly sure Fr. Ripperger pins it on the so-called Greatest Generation as well. They essentially started the snowball fight on top of the avalanche prone mountain. They failed to pass on and demand the adherence to Tradition (Secular and Religious) that they received.

I remember Fr. Ripperger had also talked about the Lost Generation that even before had failed to teach the Greatest Generation how to bear suffering and its value.

The suicide of Europe destroyed Western Civilization, and we're still living in the midst of it.

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 01, 2017, 09:04:25 AM
Quote from: james03 on October 15, 2017, 08:35:07 AM
QuoteI resent the older generations abusing millennials.  We were robbed of our inheritance, now told how entitled we are. We were deprived of any real purpose to live, now told how lazy we are.

I chalk it up to Gen X fear that we are seeing the echo bubble of the baby boomers.  Gen X was the most conservative of the recent generations. We built the Trad movement.  We had the Trad babies.

No.  It's the result of the Boomers breaking the social contract and now fearing they are going to be made to pay the price, now that they are aging and becoming dependent on the younger generation.  Thus, the younger generation is all "Me Me Me" according to them.  But that's mere projection.  Every generation (insofar as it is possible) is supposed to make life better for the succeeding one.  Except the Boomers.  Cause they're special.  How dare their children expect of them what every generation in history has expected of its parents?

They're the ones that pushed outsourcing, mass immigration, ran up the debt to obscene levels which WE will have to pay off, caused the real estate and financial collapse which the government (that means US) were forced to bail out, since they refused to enforce anti-trust laws such that no enterprise would ever get "too big to fail", raised college tuition to obscene levels as well, making higher education a racket, and lots of other things.  But HEAVEN FORBID the bill be paid partly by reducing Social Security and Medicare.  No, we're not going to pay for a $15M hospital bill just so you can (maybe) live for another month, say Gen X and Millenials. HOW DARE YOU???

This is a great post. 

And, it's so very true.  Boomers will go to their death pissing away as much money as they can, because it is, and always has been, about themselves.

I didn't vote for any of Ted Kennedy's stupid ideas. I didn't vote to outsource, it hurt my job chances more than it helped as I work in IT. I wanted, when I was in my 50's for Bush 43 to work on reforming SS. It went nowhere. By the way, I've contributed to SS for over 40 years and when I was self-employed, I paid for both the employee's and the employer's share. I hope to be able to retire when I'm 70 (although it's not looking good) and hopefully, I'll just live 5 or so years after retirement. I'll pay taxes on my SS income too. There! Are you happy?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on November 01, 2017, 10:16:53 AM
I didn't vote for any of Ted Kennedy's stupid ideas. I didn't vote to outsource, it hurt my job chances more than it helped as I work in IT. I wanted, when I was in my 50's for Bush 43 to work on reforming SS. It went nowhere. By the way, I've contributed to SS for over 40 years and when I was self-employed, I paid for both the employee's and the employer's share. I hope to be able to retire when I'm 70 (although it's not looking good) and hopefully, I'll just live 5 or so years after retirement. I'll pay taxes on my SS income too. There! Are you happy?

Nope.

:lol:

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 01, 2017, 10:25:21 AM
Quote from: Lynne on November 01, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Nope.

:lol:

What are you doing about SS? Are you writing to your Rep and Senator about it?

It's easy to blame others.