Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »

Source looks like potato

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Zoom in on Saturn and it looks like what nasa claims. 

It's funny you should mention Saturn.  My Dad brought home a fairly powerful telescope from work years ago.  My brother and I set it up in the back garden.  We set the magnification to something fairly high (I think it was 40 times).  Purely by chance we pointed the thing directly at Saturn and it looked exactly like the image below.

Is the Pope Catholic ?  (shouldn't that be: Are the Pope's Catholic ?)

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline inlaetitia

• Hellebardier
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
Well its obvious by your tone, that you don't seriously want the answer, but I will answer for those genuinely curious. The sun expands and contracts its orbit for the seasons. Starting say in the north for the summer solstice, where its orbit is the smallest, it gets faster and faster getting wider and wider, until it gets to the summer solstice where it "turns back" and starts getting slower and slower, until it gets back to the original point.

You are so full of bullshit.  If the sun's orbit were farther away in winter from a flat earth, the entire earth would be colder.  Yet the southern hemisphere is warmer when it is winter in the northern hemisphere.

You're misunderstanding the theory. It is not that it is farther away as a whole, but that the circle with which it orbits expands. North pole in centre, Antarctic around the edges. Did you see the map in the video?

Offline inlaetitia

• Hellebardier
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Zoom in on Saturn and it looks like what nasa claims. 

It's funny you should mention Saturn.  My Dad brought home a fairly powerful telescope from work years ago.  My brother and I set it up in the back garden.  We set the magnification to something fairly high (I think it was 40 times).  Purely by chance we pointed the thing directly at Saturn and it looked exactly like the image below.

If you say so.

Online red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
Well its obvious by your tone, that you don't seriously want the answer, but I will answer for those genuinely curious. The sun expands and contracts its orbit for the seasons. Starting say in the north for the summer solstice, where its orbit is the smallest, it gets faster and faster getting wider and wider, until it gets to the summer solstice where it "turns back" and starts getting slower and slower, until it gets back to the original point.

You are so full of bullshit.  If the sun's orbit were farther away in winter from a flat earth, the entire earth would be colder.  Yet the southern hemisphere is warmer when it is winter in the northern hemisphere.
[/quote

You're misunderstanding the theory. It is not that it is farther away as a whole, but that the circle with which it orbits expands. North pole in centre, Antarctic around the edges. Did you see the map in the video?
Are you saying Flat Earth is only a theory?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:16:06 AM by red solo cup »

Offline inlaetitia

• Hellebardier
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
About the sun and moon it is a theory.

About the earth, no.

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »

Q, are you on the autism spectrum? If so, you get a pass. If not, clean up your act.
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Online red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Chestertonian

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2017, 01:43:25 AM »
If you say so.

Here's a subreddit full of people who like astronomy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Astronomy

Here's a search for people taking amateur photos of Saturn:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Astronomy/search?q=saturn&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Here's a photo of Saturn from some amateur dude:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Kephapaulos

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »
Positions on science today can be analogous to the positions of Catholics today. (Not that Catholics of each position hold to each correlating scientific position necessarily.)

Here we go with each spectrum:

Flat earther                     -    Sedevacantist, Resistance, Feeneyite

Geocentrist                     -    SSPX

Creationist/Acentrist        -    FSSP, ICKSP, Ecclesia Dei, etc.

Theistic Evolutionist         -    Novus Ordo

Atheistic evolutionist        -    Heretic, schismatic, apostate, pagan
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:31:42 PM by Kephapaulos »

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Heinrich, Bl. Karl Hapsburg

Offline John Lamb

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »
If you've never once in your life believed that the earth is flat then you're close minded.
As many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. (John 1:12)

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Clare

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Cafeteria Trad
    • Motes 'n' Beams blog
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:57 AM »
This indicates that the earth was created with the appearance of being older than it actually is.  It is an objective fact, for example, that there are appearances of geological strata.  There are rock formations with lines in them.  Either these rocks were created this way, giving only the appearance of age, or they were formed this way over a long period of time with layers of sediment being deposited gradually. ....
Or cataclysmic events like the Fall and the Flood caused the earth to age considerably in a short space of time. That's what I've always considered possible anyway.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
Keph, love ya man!  But I can assure you that so called "Feeneyites" have no association to the flat earth theory.  At least, not as a group.  Perhaps a rogue  :P
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane

Offline Kephapaulos

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
Keph, love ya man!  But I can assure you that so called "Feeneyites" have no association to the flat earth theory.  At least, not as a group.  Perhaps a rogue  :P

It's not a association I meant necessarily. It has more to do with a correlation of the spectrum of Tradition as analogous to positions of science.

The following users thanked this post: PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »

It's not a association I meant necessarily. It has more to do with a correlation of the spectrum of Tradition as analogous to positions of science.

Got it.   Actually I enjoyed your correlation because, coincidentally, when I began reading this thread I had a similar thought!
But, speaking as one who leans toward the good Fr. F, and those I know who are much more stalwart defenders of him, not a FEer in the bunch.  Just for the record.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19