What's for dinner?

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, May 11, 2016, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

Who else is frying fish today?  :D

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on February 16, 2018, 09:09:16 AM

Not frying it , but may hit up the drive thru at Burger King.   Fishwich....... .
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Carleendiane

Today?   Pork chop chilli. A creamed salsa based chilli using baked pork tenderloin. Not really chops this time. Making a huge pot so I will have plenty for tomorrow's pot luck. Mixing the pork with a chicken broth and a gallon of salsa makes a quick chilli. Salsa allows for no need to chop veggies. It looks very colorful still, because my home made salsa is anything but dull in appearance. And we all know appearance is as important as flavor...well almost. Chilli beans, black beans, and even corn contribute to the CHILLI-NESS. Always a huge smash and an empty pot. I proudly announce that this is an original, by me, recipe. Inspired by a very bad version of salsa soup I once had in a restraunt!

ETA: ended up using 2 gallons salsa! For a total of approx. 4-5 gallons of chilli. That's a lot of salsa. That's a lot of chilli!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 16, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys link=topic=14452.msg432463#msg432463  date=1518793756

Not frying it , but may hit up the drive thru at Burger King.   Fishwich....... .

Mary, you look so very sober with your Lenten avatar. Perfect.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

PerEvangelicaDicta

I'd love to see one of your favorite fish recipes FdL.

We usually have fish on Fridays throughout the year, but yesterday I crock potted some oatmeal in homemade veg stock - 4 to 1 ratio - with curry powder and green beans for about 6 hours, then topped with some poached eggs.  Delicious.  I think I'll add garlic and maybe fresh lemon squeeze next time.

CD, my dear spouse will flip over your pork tenderloin chili recipe!

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Fleur-de-Lys

This one is simple, PED. You just salt and pepper some catfish fillets, coat them in cornmeal, then fry them in peanut oil.

Carleendiane

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on February 17, 2018, 01:25:47 PM

I'd love to see one of your favorite fish recipes FdL.

We usually have fish on Fridays throughout the year, but yesterday I crock potted some oatmeal in homemade veg stock - 4 to 1 ratio - with curry powder and green beans for about 6 hours, then topped with some poached eggs.  Delicious.  I think I'll add garlic and maybe fresh lemon squeeze next time.

CD, my dear spouse will flip over your pork tenderloin chili recipe!

Per, never would I have conjured that combination in my head. Sounds like something I would like to try. :)

Regina Caeli

I marinate salmon in Italian dressing then cook it under the broiler.

kayla_veronica

May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

MundaCorMeum

Now that Lent is over!! 

For our Easter menu...

appetizer plate for after Mass: 
sliced salami, cheeses, various pickled items, chardonney

dinner:
drunken chicken (per the kids request...I promise, we are really striving to raise holy children here  ;D), sauteed green beans, sourdough artisan bread, macaroni and cheese, and a green salad with homemade vinegrette; wine to accompany the meal

What are y'all having??

Oh yeah...dessert:  free for all Easter candy ;)

Fleur-de-Lys

I made a big brunch with eggs, bacon, biscuits, and fresh cantaloupe.

For dinner I'm making a glazed ham with creamed spinach, macaroni and cheese, and more biscuits.

I also made a lemon tart for dessert, mostly to keep myself from pilfering the children's candy.  :D

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on April 01, 2018, 06:21:44 PM
I made a big brunch with eggs, bacon, biscuits, and fresh cantaloupe.

For dinner I'm making a glazed ham with creamed spinach, macaroni and cheese, and more biscuits.

I also made a lemon tart for dessert, mostly to keep myself from pilfering the children's candy.  :D

Sounds delicious!

MundaCorMeum

Oh!  And, boudin.... always boudin on these big feast days. So good!

LausTibiChriste

Borscht and copious amounts of vodka
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

We cook borscht every two months, but I can never make it taste like it does in Russia.  Even when my mother in law makes it here it does not taste as nice.

It always tastes a bit flat here.  Not sure why.  Might be the herbs or perhaps the difficulty in getting bones for making the stock.

I like most Russian food especially Kefir.  I drink that stuff a carton at a time.

The one I dislike (especially the smell when it cooks) is buckwheat or grechka.  It's very good for you but it tastes like cardboard.  The only way I can eat it is to cover it in Teriyaki sauce.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.