Buying religious goods from schismatics

Started by NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM, August 11, 2017, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM

I have a general rule not to give any money or support to religious groups or organizations that are not Catholic for obvious reasons. Thus, no charitable contribution or donation to have a pancake breakfast at the local protty church, for instance.

But what about buying religious goods for Catholic purposes while knowing the contribution may aid a schismatic?

Specifically, I wanted to buy some votive candles, although they are overpriced and generally not what I'm looking for from the secular retailers. The Catholic ones are also selling them high and quality is questionable. I found an Orthodox monastery, however, that sells them for a very fair and reasonable price.
Lex inuista non lex est

Daniel

Yeah, I don't know. It sounds kind of scandalous. But then again, I'm not sure that there'd be anything wrong with it.

Gardener

If they are selling them, I don't really see a problem. If they are asking for suggested donations, that would be problematic.

We buy things from questionable sources all the time. When I bought my motorcycle, was I encouraging Japanese kids to kill themselves because they got an A- instead of A+, Zen Buddhism, or a culture which is, at this point, utterly whacked out? Nope. I was buying a motorcycle.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kaesekopf

I know a number of catholic parishes purchase incense from orthodox because it's better...

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

Heck, I know of a FSSP parish who handed out St. Joseph's Cords from Mt. St. Michael.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

christulsa

Heinrich

I wouldn't do it. I had an FSSP priest tell me giving money to the SSPX was sinful.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on August 12, 2017, 01:29:52 PM
I wouldn't do it. I had an FSSP priest tell me giving money to the SSPX was sinful.

Giving money is different from buying something. Where do you think I got the St. Joseph cord? ;)

Heinrich

"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on August 12, 2017, 05:52:39 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on August 12, 2017, 03:38:09 PM
I don't know the context.
Quote from: Gardener on August 11, 2017, 08:48:06 PM
Heck, I know of a FSSP parish who handed out St. Joseph's Cords from Mt. St. Michael.

I don't know what a St. Joseph Cord is nor Mt. St. Michael in the context of schism.

Gardener

NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM

Well that's just plain wrong. I hope he wasn't implying they were schismatics. I'll donate on your behalf and in his honor next Sunday.

Meanwhile I think it's sinful to donate any money to anything connected to the Novus Ordo sacrilege, diocesan, FSSP, etc. Not a dime or a penny to those who weekly tread upon Christ at the Communion line, enable it, or acquiesce to it.
Lex inuista non lex est

OCLittleFlower

I've bought candles, ikons, postcards, etc from the Orthodox, especially when traveling.  No Catholic company makes anything of my daughter's name saint, after all.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Heinrich

Quote from: NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM on August 13, 2017, 11:02:37 PM

Well that's just plain wrong. I hope he wasn't implying they were schismatics. I'll donate on your behalf and in his honor next Sunday.

Meanwhile I think it's sinful to donate any money to anything connected to the Novus Ordo sacrilege, diocesan, FSSP, etc. Not a dime or a penny to those who weekly tread upon Christ at the Communion line, enable it, or acquiesce to it.

1. Why do you care?
2. I will donate to my parish's beautification fund on Christ's and the Blessed Virgin Mary's behalf.