Baronius for Angelus

Started by exultate_Deo, July 27, 2017, 02:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exultate_Deo

Hi Everyone.

I bought a brand new Baronius daily missal two months ago, and honestly, I don't like it. I used an Angelus Press missal for years until I lost it, and it never turned up again.

If there is anyone out there looking for a brand new Baronius missal, and has a new or "like new" Angelus Press missal to trade for it, I will gladly do so. I have used the Baronius missal for about six or seven Sundays and that's it. It is in MINT condition, and comes with the cardboard sleeve to put it in.

Let me know. Thanks.

Pax.

Miriam_M

I am looking for a new missal and am very picky, so definitely want to avoid the wrong one.  Can you tell me what you do not like about the Baronius, and what you did like about the Angelus?

Prayerful

I got an Angelus missal for my mother, although she more often uses her 1960 Roman Missal (an English and Irish published missal with an introduction by Fr Fortescue which describes gives a wonderful of the Mass), and is very compact, not like most doorstopper TLM missals available now. The Angelus Missal has a really well laid out ordinary of the Mass, as good as the St Joseph Daily Missal (available as a reprint I think), Maryknoll Missal (likely not available now except secondhand) or St Andrew Daily Missal (mine is 1940 and the 1945 reprint is probably the same and has a wonderful rubrical, theological and historical text and beautiful b/w art), while I found the Baronius one a bit clunky. The Baronius has a better quality binding, but the Angelus Missal's midway softback-hardback binding looks like something with a great lasting to it.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jacob

Just want to say on Baronius's behalf, I have had mine ten years this March, pre-Motu Proprio, and while I'm not a power user, the binding is just fine.  Make of that what you will.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Prayerful

Quote from: Jacob on July 28, 2017, 08:44:17 PM
Just want to say on Baronius's behalf, I have had mine ten years this March, pre-Motu Proprio, and while I'm not a power user, the binding is just fine.  Make of that what you will.

Baronius books always have fine binding, Dom Prosper Guéranger's The Holy Mass, which I've had for c. 10 years, has lasted fine barring some tea and pen marks, which binding cannot really help against :P.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

exultate_Deo

Objectively, the Baronius missal is a fine missal. The binding is solid, the layout is pleasant, and the artwork is beautiful. My desire to return to the Angelus missal is purely a subjective matter. There are slight variations in the translation in, say, the Canon of the Mass, and these slight differences actually distract me during Mass because my mind is so used to the Angelus version. I am of the opinion that the hand missal you are introduced to, is the one you like the most. I bought the Baronius missal simply for a change, but I regret it because I did not realize how attached I was to the Angelus version. I guess the one main difference is that the Baronius missal is slightly bigger and therefore heavier, but I think this probably makes it more durable as well. My Angelus missal was in poor shape after ten years of use.

CaptCrunch73

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory