Jesus crucified / hands or wrist?

Started by HolyAina, April 08, 2013, 01:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolyAina

What is the churches teaching?  Also, what location did the 60 saints that received the stigmata get it, wrist or hands?

PatrickG

I don't know exactly, but this photograph of Padre Pio indicates his stigmata were received on the hand:

Furthermore, in the Bible, Our Lord gives Doubting Thomas his hand (as ever, the Doauy Bible)
Quote from: John Ch. 20 v. 27Then he saith to Thomas: Put in thy finger hither, and see my hands; and bring hither thy hand, and put it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.
I should think the inerrant proof from the Bible makes it plain the Holy Nails passed through Our Lord's hands, not his wrists.

PS: The Arma Christi, my own crucifix and every other depiction I have seen have the Holy Nails passing through Our Lord's hands, but if anyone knows?

PPS: Sorry to digress, but what of Triclavianism? A Protestant scholar called George Stanley Faber apparently alleged that Pope Innocent III decreed it was heretical to hold that only three nails were used in the Crucifixion. I do not, but a good deal of traditional art and the Arma Christi shows but three nails, indeed, as does the Jesuit symbol? sigil?

Hawaii Five-0

According to the evidence found on the Holy Shroud, Our Lord was nailed to the cross through the wrist.  On the Shroud you can see that the nail struck the nerve which runs through the wrist and made His thumb curl into His palm and the blood stream originates at His wrist.
Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer. - Padre Pio

Bonaventure

Quote from: Hawaii Five-0 on April 08, 2013, 02:42:59 PM
According to the evidence found on the Holy Shroud, Our Lord was nailed to the cross through the wrist.  On the Shroud you can see that the nail struck the nerve which runs through the wrist and made His thumb curl into His palm and the blood stream originates at His wrist.

Yep.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

ts aquinas

Quote from: PatrickG on April 08, 2013, 02:41:21 PM
Furthermore, in the Bible, Our Lord gives Doubting Thomas his hand (as ever, the Doauy Bible)
Quote from: John Ch. 20 v. 27Then he saith to Thomas: Put in thy finger hither, and see my hands; and bring hither thy hand, and put it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.
I should think the inerrant proof from the Bible makes it plain the Holy Nails passed through Our Lord's hands, not his wrists.

I remember reading somewhere that the Greek for "hand", cheira, was descriptive of not just an actual hand but also the wrist as well. Don't have a source though.

Mr. Mysterious

If He had nails driven thru his palms, His flesh would've torn away, but nails driven thru the wrists would have supported it.

One famous Stigmatist (it may have been Padre Pio) asked Our Lord why they bled from the palms and not the wrists as shown on the Shroud of Turin and Our Lord is said to have replied that no one could have endured the pain He went thru if they had the Stigmata on their wrists.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GbmyjvW3Nk[/yt]
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

angelcookie

I always wondered this because: the stigmata and crucifixion  is usually shown on palms, but I think the weight would just rip through where the wrist would be able to support more. Also, if you puncture the artery that runs in the wrist, you would bleed out and go into shock quickly. You would really have to know anatomy to not hit one of 2 arteries that run in the wrist. If you hit a wrist artery I would think you would die in a few hours or less. Plus the nails in the ankles- there's arteries there as well.
I know it sounds morbid to think, but I think Jesus died of a slow shock on top of having to endure the tortures. I can't help but feel so sad, He was probably so weak, air hungry, clammy and cold.
May the Most Precious Blood of Jesus cover us.

ts aquinas

The weight argument always forgets a) that crucified victims were always tied to the cross by rope (the Romans knew how to kill and most likely witnessed what happens when those nailed to a cross, hence rope and nail) and b) Christ most likely pushed off a piece of wood beneath the feet like shown in Mel Gibson's "Passion" or He pushed off the nail itself to relieve His hands (also would've been necessary to do so when He spoke seven times due to asphyxiation and hanging.)

The puncturing the arteries wouldn't necessarily matter since no ordinary man, in his natural ability to withstand pain, could endure half of what Christ endured and lived. That His body was able to carry on by supernatural means, we can conclude that this means would not have ceased with injuries that would normally kill men. He chose when to die as He stated "I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it away from me: but I lay it down of myself, and I have power to lay it down: and I have power to take it up again. This commandment have I received of my Father." If the blood loss would kill a normal man due to punctured arteries, this was then suspended so that He may die when He chose that justice maybe fulfilled.

Archer

Quote from: ts aquinas on April 14, 2013, 01:24:48 AM
The weight argument always forgets a) that crucified victims were always tied to the cross by rope (the Romans knew how to kill and most likely witnessed what happens when those nailed to a cross, hence rope and nail) and b) Christ most likely pushed off a piece of wood beneath the feet like shown in Mel Gibson's "Passion" or He pushed off the nail itself to relieve His hands (also would've been necessary to do so when He spoke seven times due to asphyxiation and hanging.)

I was actually thinking about both those points earlier tonight but didn't have a chance to post.  Thanks for bringing them up. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

angelcookie

Quote from: ts aquinas on April 14, 2013, 01:24:48 AM

The puncturing the arteries wouldn't necessarily matter since no ordinary man, in his natural ability to withstand pain, could endure half of what Christ endured and lived. That His body was able to carry on by supernatural means, we can conclude that this means would not have ceased with injuries that would normally kill men. He chose when to die as He stated "I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it away from me: but I lay it down of myself, and I have power to lay it down: and I have power to take it up again. This commandment have I received of my Father." If the blood loss would kill a normal man due to punctured arteries, this was then suspended so that He may die when He chose that justice maybe fulfilled.

Thank you for clearing this up and reminding us not to focus on just the human aspect.