Latin prayers

Started by Ascanio1, January 02, 2020, 05:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascanio1

Merry, Holy Christmas and wishes for a prosperous and serene new year.

I am looking either for a missal or for a small prayers booklet, with all the most common prayers in Latin (Doxology, all the Marians, Credo, Lord's Prayer, Gloria, etc.).

If you recommend a missal, then it can have the translation in English, Italian or French but must contain all the correct rubrics to follow FSSPX Mass (1962/1963 imprimatur).

I already have Fr Lasance, St Andrew, Edizione Piane, Quillau (1722) and a few otrher, old, missals but none has all the prayers in Latin and not all in the same place.

I am a recently "reverted" Catholic from reformist Catholicism who, after being raised with proper Catholic catechism and liturgy, culpably accepted V2 reforms without ever questioning them and, by so doing for 40 years at NO mass, I forgot all my prayers in Latin. I downloaded them from the internet but I would like to have a one missal with all the correct rubrics to attend FSSSPX mass and also all the most common prayers in latin.

Thank you in advance to who will invest his time and expertise to help me.
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Daniel

The one from Angelus Press follows the 1962 Mass (Angelus Press is the SSPX's publisher), but I'm not sure what additional prayers it includes. (I don't own a copy, so I can't check.) But the product description sounds like it probably contains all the standard prayers.

Ascanio1

Happy New Year, Daniel, thank you.

Does anyone own an Angelus Press missal? Can anyone tell me if:
i) it contains all the common prayers in Latin and, if yes,
ii) are all these common prayers collected in one place
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Fleur-de-Lys

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, ascaio1,

I own a copy of the Angelus Press missal. It has a section with all of the necessary prayers in Latin side-by-side with a vernacular translation. I recommend it.

But the definitive collection of traditional Catholic prayers in Latin is the Raccolta. Though the missal will meet your needs for now, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Raccolta when you can.

Fleur-de-Lys

The Baronius Press missal likewise offers the usual prayers in both Latin and English in one section preceding the liturgy.

Prayerful

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on January 02, 2020, 02:00:12 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, ascaio1,

I own a copy of the Angelus Press missal. It has a section with all of the necessary prayers in Latin side-by-side with a vernacular translation. I recommend it.

But the definitive collection of traditional Catholic prayers in Latin is the Raccolta. Though the missal will meet your needs for now, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Raccolta when you can.

The Raccolta is an excellent place if you want to go beyond, say, the superb St Andrew's Missal, or the Angelus Missal. The one that is most easily available, or seems so to buy new, is the 1957 edition (1957 hardback). There are various online copies of earlier editions (eg 1910). The Treasury of Latin Prayers is excellent for phone, tablet, and desktop.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Ascanio1

Thank you for investing your time and sharing your knowledge, I apreciate both.

Quote from: Prayerful on January 02, 2020, 04:01:11 PMThe Raccolta is an excellent place if you want to go beyond, say, the superb St Andrew's Missal
I own two St Andrew misslas but they are both in English (with a very few Latin rubrics in the ordinary of the Mass). I seek common prayers in Latin and, possibly, collected together at the end or at the beginning of a Latin/English missal book.

Quote from: Prayerful on January 02, 2020, 04:01:11 PMor the Angelus Missal.
Fleur-de-Lys confirms that this missal would be siutable for this purpose. I will buy one. I hope that it contains the common prayers (i) in Latin and (ii) listed all together.

Quote from: Prayerful on January 02, 2020, 04:01:11 PMThe one that is most easily available, or seems so to buy new, is the 1957 edition (1957 hardback). There are various online copies of earlier editions (eg 1910). The Treasury of Latin Prayers.
I looked through this book (one of the links has the 1910 version in pdf form) but it is not what I am looking for. It does not conatin all the most common prayers in Latin and they are listed separately under different chapters.

Thank you for investing your time and knowledge that I appreciated. But I am looking for a very simple collection of commom prayers, in Latin, listed either alphabetically or by theme. Only the prayers themselves. I want to find each one that I want to pray, quickly, without having to search through pages and pages. I will use this booklet, for example, to recite the Leonine prayers, the rosary or other similar occasions.
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Ascanio1

Thank you for your time and help! I appreciate them.

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on January 02, 2020, 02:00:12 PMI own a copy of the Angelus Press missal. It has a section with all of the necessary prayers in Latin side-by-side with a vernacular translation. I recommend it.
Thank you for your recommendation. I will gladly buy this one or the Baronius.

You mention, in fact, also the Baronius Press missal. Allow me to ask you if both these two missals (Baronius and Angelus) have the ordinary and all the propers, both in Latin and English (as the Fr Lasance does)? If I understand correctly, you mention that both these missals also contain all the most common prayers, in Latin and that they are grouped and collected, all together, in one place. Sorry for asking, but can you kindly check if the preayers are ordered alphabetically or by theme?

Thank you for investing your time to help me, I appreciate it.

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on January 02, 2020, 02:00:12 PMBut the definitive collection of traditional Catholic prayers in Latin is the Raccolta. Though the missal will meet your needs for now, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Raccolta when you can.
I checked the 1910 publication as recommended also by Prayerful but it is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for a very simple, small, flexible, booklet that contains only all the most common prayers in Latin and nothing else. Period. I wish them to be listed alphabeticall or by theme. The prayers must not be mixed with other rubrics or in between chapters so as to make them easily found when I need them (Rosary, Leonine, etc.).

While I prefer a separate booklet I am happy if they are at the beginning or the end of a missal. As long as they are all collected together and in one place, and listed alphabetically or by theme.

Again, thank you for your time and help!
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Daniel

This book might be overkill, but it might be what you're looking for. It's "pocket-sized" and has many prayers in Latin and English, mostly in one place:

https://angeluspress.org/products/christian-warfare

Has all of the following in English and Latin:

p. 1 - Sign of the Cross; The Our Father; The Hail Mary
p. 2 - The Apostles' Creed; Glory Be
p. 3 - The Confiteor
pp. 4-5 - The Angelus
p. 5 - The Regina Caeli
p. 6 - Prayer to the Holy Ghost; Prayer before Meals
pp. 6-7 - Grace after Meals
p. 7 - The Miraculous Medal Prayer
p. 8 - Daily Consecration to Our Lady

pp. 23-56 - Mass Ordinary
(But it's not a Missal, so it doesn't contain any of the Propers.)

p. 189 - Saint Michael prayer (short version)

p. 195 - Angel of God prayer

It does not contain the Acts of Faith, Hope, Charity, or Contrition in Latin, though it does give these in English (p. 7, 9-10)

Vetus Ordo

Try out this website, Ascaio:

Thesaurus Precum Latinarum.

It has dozens of Latin prayers indexed. You might find it useful.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2020, 07:28:53 AM
Try out this website, Ascaio:

Thesaurus Precum Latinarum.

It has dozens of Latin prayers indexed. You might find it useful.

That does look very useful... Prayerful also recommended it under a different name:

Quote from: Prayerful on January 02, 2020, 04:01:11 PM
The Treasury of Latin Prayers is excellent for phone, tablet, and desktop.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: ascaio1 on January 04, 2020, 06:14:48 AM
Thank you for your time and help! I appreciate them.

My pleasure, ascaio1.

QuoteYou mention, in fact, also the Baronius Press missal. Allow me to ask you if both these two missals (Baronius and Angelus) have the ordinary and all the propers, both in Latin and English (as the Fr Lasance does)? If I understand correctly, you mention that both these missals also contain all the most common prayers, in Latin and that they are grouped and collected, all together, in one place. Sorry for asking, but can you kindly check if the preayers are ordered alphabetically or by theme?

Yes, both the Angelus and Baronius missals have the ordinary and the propers as well as the most common prayers in both Latin and English. The prayers are grouped and collected all together, and they are ordered thematically.

QuoteI checked the 1910 publication as recommended also by Prayerful but it is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for a very simple, small, flexible, booklet that contains only all the most common prayers in Latin and nothing else. Period. I wish them to be listed alphabeticall or by theme. The prayers must not be mixed with other rubrics or in between chapters so as to make them easily found when I need them (Rosary, Leonine, etc.).

While I prefer a separate booklet I am happy if they are at the beginning or the end of a missal. As long as they are all collected together and in one place, and listed alphabetically or by theme.

Again, thank you for your time and help!

I see. Yes, I have some very old prayer books on my shelf, now long out of print, but even they contain a number of prayers in the vernacular. None of them are all in Latin. I believe either the Angelus or Baronius missal is going to be your best bet. I prefer the look of the Angelus myself, but others prefer the Baronius. I haven't made a detailed comparison, but I don't see any substantive difference between them.

Fleur-de-Lys

I know this is a big investment, so I am going to post some photos of my missals. Here is the Angelus, first a page from the table of contents, then a page from the most common prayers.

Fleur-de-Lys

Here are the corresponding pages from Baronius:

Ascanio1

deleted
Tommaso
+ IHSV