Loss of bookmarks! [Read me]

Started by Kaesekopf, September 05, 2022, 08:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 17, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
Hello KK & everyone on this thread,

I personally really like the forum the way it is.
I am not crazy about changes. I really like this format. It is easy to read.

In my experience whenever forums do updates & or major changes, lots of items get lost along the way.
I was locked out of 2 other forums in the past & just got tired of having to start all over again.
Threads were lost, the wall on each account vanished, as well as the stored private messages. And of course, the bookmarks.

So, I am wondering, besides the bookmarks, what other items will disappear during these updates?

Will the Mary's Garden, Prayer threads be kept?
If we have private messages stored/saved, will they transfer over?
Will every single thread & post transfer over? Along with videos, pictures, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 05, 2022, 08:32:35 PM
Hello!
As part of the Forum Upgrade that I am going to roll out, some features will be lost.

The most notable feature to be lost will be the "My Bookmarks" feature.  You will have to migrate those over to your own bookmark keeper!

Please do that! 

To ensure people don't lose their saved threads in that modification, I will not begin the upgrade of the Forum until after September 15th, the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows.   So, you have 10 days from right now.  Hopefully that is sufficient. 

That's the biggest feature loss. 

If more time is needed or desired, please reach out to me.  Otherwise... you've been warned!

Hi Christe Eleison!

We've missed you! I believe that KK is sticking with the SMF software so there shouldn't be a lot of changes. SMF may be retiring the Bookmark feature but KK would have told us if other features were changing.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Lynne on September 17, 2022, 09:45:12 AM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 17, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
Hello KK & everyone on this thread,

I personally really like the forum the way it is.
I am not crazy about changes. I really like this format. It is easy to read.

In my experience whenever forums do updates & or major changes, lots of items get lost along the way.
I was locked out of 2 other forums in the past & just got tired of having to start all over again.
Threads were lost, the wall on each account vanished, as well as the stored private messages. And of course, the bookmarks.

So, I am wondering, besides the bookmarks, what other items will disappear during these updates?

Will the Mary's Garden, Prayer threads be kept?
If we have private messages stored/saved, will they transfer over?
Will every single thread & post transfer over? Along with videos, pictures, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 05, 2022, 08:32:35 PM
Hello!
As part of the Forum Upgrade that I am going to roll out, some features will be lost.

The most notable feature to be lost will be the "My Bookmarks" feature.  You will have to migrate those over to your own bookmark keeper!

Please do that! 

To ensure people don't lose their saved threads in that modification, I will not begin the upgrade of the Forum until after September 15th, the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows.   So, you have 10 days from right now.  Hopefully that is sufficient. 

That's the biggest feature loss. 

If more time is needed or desired, please reach out to me.  Otherwise... you've been warned!

Hi Christe Eleison!

We've missed you! I believe that KK is sticking with the SMF software so there shouldn't be a lot of changes. SMF may be retiring the Bookmark feature but KK would have told us if other features were changing.

Dear Lynne,

I have missed you & everyone as well! Thanks for your kind words!

I appreciate your prompt reply!

I am not great with changes  :-[  And this year has not been what I expected....

And I have several messages that I need to answer & or write down the information that was sent to me. And the prayer section is so important to me!

Oh, I forgot, will the forum go down for several hours whenever this takes place?

Anyway, thanks so much for your help!
God Bless! :pray1:

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on September 17, 2022, 09:45:12 AM
Hi Christe Eleison!

Yea, we're sticking with SMF.  There will be some interface changes and upgrades, but it will all be for the better.  The Bookmark feature was a mod I liked, but it hasn't been updated in a decade, so I have to get rid of it (it's not compatible with the latest version of SMF). 

There should be* no detrimental changes to user experience.

*famous last words
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 17, 2022, 10:04:23 AM

Oh, I forgot, will the forum go down for several hours whenever this takes place?

I will place the Forum into Maintenance Mode for the upgrade.  I will likely do it in the late hours of the day/early hours of the evening because I hate myself I appreciate the users so much, I want to alleviate any Forum downtime.  :)

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

The Curt Jester

You can just use your browser to bookmark stuff and organize it that way.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Lynne

Quote from: The Curt Jester on September 17, 2022, 12:06:23 PM
You can just use your browser to bookmark stuff and organize it that way.

And with the last(?) maintenance  :cheeseheadbeer:, the email function began to work again so you can email a thread to yourself.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Acolyte

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Acolyte on September 23, 2022, 10:47:00 AM
Will the update be this weekend ?

The answer to that was obviously no :lol:

This weekend is a maybe.  Should have a bit more free-time than this past one, but we'll see.  I'll keep people posted, either way!

Acolyte

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 26, 2022, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: Acolyte on September 23, 2022, 10:47:00 AM
Will the update be this weekend ?

The answer to that was obviously no :lol:

This weekend is a maybe.  Should have a bit more free-time than this past one, but we'll see.  I'll keep people posted, either way!
I know, but when I posted the question the weekend we thought it would happen had passed.

No hurry, new baby comes first !
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

Kaesekopf

Bookmarks are going away on Dec 8 at 10p Central.  You've had sufficient time!  :lol:

Update is coming nearer and nearer!  :lol:

Acolyte

St Alphonsus

Lynne

Acolyte

St Alphonsus

Lynne

Quote from: Acolyte on December 15, 2022, 08:29:34 PM
I still have bookmarks !

He's very busy! Baby's first Christmas, etc...  :)

I hope he waits, now, till after Christmas.

Kaesekopf