so how is sd fairing anyway?

Started by voxxpopulisuxx, May 15, 2013, 10:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm waiting until the end of the month to make a statement on this.  :) 

However, I will say our situation looks a lot better than what smf says, and that I am very pleased.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 17, 2013, 06:21:02 PM
I'm waiting until the end of the month to make a statement on this.  :) 

However, I will say our situation looks a lot better than what smf says, and that I am very pleased.
sorry kk wasnt trying to preempt...I just wanted to be already subscribed to the thread so I dont miss it. Dont forget to add geeky stuff about bandwith and costs and any cyberstuff
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Kaesekopf

No worries.   People seemed to be downplaying the of sd and thought I'd give a brief comment saying I think we are doing well, all things considered.  :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Penelope

If you'll just pardon my intrusion into this thread, I only have a couple more posts to go to reach 1,000, so I thought I'd post this meaningless and irrelevant comment.

That'll be all.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on May 17, 2013, 08:30:33 PM
If you'll just pardon my intrusion into this thread, I only have a couple more posts to go to reach 1,000, so I thought I'd post this meaningless and irrelevant comment.

That'll be all.

Took you long enough....

Penelope

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 17, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

That'll be all.

Took you long enough....

Sorry, chief. I have a life and responsibilities outside of this forum.  ;D

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on May 17, 2013, 08:54:24 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 17, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

That'll be all.

Took you long enough....

Sorry, chief. I have a life and responsibilities outside of this forum.  ;D

And I don't?  :(

voxxpopulisuxx

Will you kids stop bickering   :-\

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Jayne

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 16, 2013, 07:17:29 AM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 16, 2013, 03:40:31 AM
Well all I wanted was a basic rudoen of member counts and if the forum wasnt to burdensom...if there were any tech problems...if there will be any changes....you know...HOW IS SD doing. Just shows you how fast things derail ::)

I think your question was answered.  SD is very much integrally knit to FE.  One might even say they are cosmologically or ontologically knit.  Can't get too far in one direction or another without being reminded of FE, or having it be brought up.

I agree with this comment.  Whatever the numbers show, for SD to really succeed as a forum, it should not be a mere reaction to another forum, but have an independent existence.  The stats don't give enough information because they tell us nothing about quality.  I would like to see SD known as something like the forum with a serious commitment to charitable posting or perhaps as the forum with deep, thoughtful discussions about difference between Sedevacantist and Sedeplenist positions.  I would be disappointed if it were known as the place to go to bash other forums.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

LaramieHirsch

I've been participating there at Fisheaters more than usual lately, but I'd say my participation there has definitely been dwindling.  But I haven't really been over here too often or even at Cathinfo either.  I don't really do too much content-focused discussion on forums lately, I guess because I've been preoccupied with other things.  I was just over there today discussing sociopaths, in fact.

I'm not really looking for an "appropriate banner" to idenify with.  I'm just following conversation I'm interested in.  I think I've actually posted on the Vox Day blog more than anything in the last two months. 

One forum I'd really like to participate on is the Cocoa Lounge.  I've been interested in having some good discussion about race in the last year.  But I find it seems impossible at the moment to even set up an account with them. 

"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Archer

Quote from: RealJayneK on May 18, 2013, 09:50:24 AM
Well all I wanted was a basic rudoen of member counts and if the forum wasnt to burdensom...if there were any tech problems...if there will be any changes....you know...HOW IS SD doing. Just shows you how fast things derail ::)

I think your question was answered.  SD is very much integrally knit to FE.  One might even say they are cosmologically or ontologically knit.  Can't get too far in one direction or another without being reminded of FE, or having it be brought up.

I agree with this comment.  Whatever the numbers show, for SD to really succeed as a forum, it should not be a mere reaction to another forum, but have an independent existence.  The stats don't give enough information because they tell us nothing about quality.  I would like to see SD known as something like the forum with a serious commitment to charitable posting or perhaps as the forum with deep, thoughtful discussions about difference between Sedevacantist and Sedeplenist positions.  I would be disappointed if it were known as the place to go to bash other forums.

A forum cannot be anything more than a conglomeration of the views held by active posters at a given time.  In general it could hold a certain stance, but by it's very nature will reflect the opinions of those posting.   Obviously the administrator and staff will have a say in the direction the forum because they can moderate what is posted.  But it really doesn't matter what you or I or any other regular posters want it to be.

To my knowledge SD was in the works long before it's main members were banned or left the other forum.  Therefore it was not and will never be a reaction to the other forum.   

Lastly, there have only been a few, if any, real instances of SD members actually bashing the other forum.  This is a far cry from the "crunchy trad" smear campaign against SD that the other forum's administration and regular posters have organized and encouraged. 

Your ending comment therefore would be more appropriate if it was posted on that forum.  Before you protest, I understand you've defended SD in the past over there.  That's all well and good, but you know darn well that bashing the other forum is not tolerated here.  You are a top 5 poster and influential over there are you not? Your concern would be better directed at that forum where the bad mouthing occurs regularly. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Jayne

Quote from: Archer on May 18, 2013, 04:18:00 PM
A forum cannot be anything more than a conglomeration of the views held by active posters at a given time.  In general it could hold a certain stance, but by it's very nature will reflect the opinions of those posting.   Obviously the administrator and staff will have a say in the direction the forum because they can moderate what is posted.  But it really doesn't matter what you or I or any other regular posters want it to be.

To my knowledge SD was in the works long before it's main members were banned or left the other forum.  Therefore it was not and will never be a reaction to the other forum.   

As far as the admin and mods are concerned, I think you are right.  However, it seems significant that a thread on the state of SD would end up having several posts about how bad FE is.  SD should not be measuring itself against other forums but against God's will for a Catholic forum. 

Quote from: Archer on May 18, 2013, 04:18:00 PM
Lastly, there have only been a few, if any, real instances of SD members actually bashing the other forum.  This is a far cry from the "crunchy trad" smear campaign against SD that the other forum's administration and regular posters have organized and encouraged. 

Your ending comment therefore would be more appropriate if it was posted on that forum.  Before you protest, I understand you've defended SD in the past over there.  That's all well and good, but you know darn well that bashing the other forum is not tolerated here.  You are a top 5 poster and influential over there are you not? Your concern would be better directed at that forum where the bad mouthing occurs regularly.

I acknowledge that I have some influence there as a top poster.  I have used that influence to the best of my ability to oppose the bashing of SD.  I have lost count of the posts I have made on this topic there.  Some were earlier today, so it is not "in the past" but an ongoing cause.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

voxxpopulisuxx

911!

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: RealJayneK on May 18, 2013, 09:50:24 AM

I know I certainly don't think of us that way -- and we do have posts on a variety of issues, not just other forums, etc.

We are a young forum, but we are growing.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  The Church did not grow one billion strong in a day.

However, when you start talking about how good or bad something is, comparing it to other things makes sense.  For example, if a new taco stand crops up, you might compare their food to the food at the other taco stands in town.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Penelope

Which leaves me wondering... of all things in the universe you could have chosen, why a taco stand?  :P