Shuttering of "Concerns about SD," comment on RealJayneK, comment on tones

Started by Kaesekopf, May 07, 2013, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gottmitunsalex

Since this thread is about Jaynek, she is playing both sides, and taking us for a ride...
That is all I will speak of this topic and under this thread.

OPEN YOUR EYES.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on May 07, 2013, 10:49:38 PM
Ah I see. So for her, the mass that by her own admission, is always defective and that she finds troubling, is...reverent and helpful to her faith?

OK...  ::)

Nah, that is not what I said. Simply that one can get something out of it, if one goes to a serious amount of effort.
After all, it does not logically follow that if the Novus Ordo is defective in some sense as compared to the traditional Mass, that there is no grace whatsoever available to those who attend. It might be reasonable to argue that, but it is not a logical entailment. It would require further unpacking, at the very least.

I would like to explore that quote from Trent further though, especially with regards to what precisely was meant by incentive to impiety. What was the Latin text?
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

LouisIX

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 07, 2013, 10:33:12 PM
I'm interested in what exactly is meant by "some common decency towards the Pope" and "refer to the Novus Ordo in some coherent, mature fashion."

If sedevacantists are allowed to post here, there's no possible way you can expect to call a man they don't think is pope "pope."  Some will and some won't, but none could be expected to as a rule.

As to the Novus Ordo, if this forum holds the position of ABL's society, then it does well to remember that "bastard mass" is a term we got from him.  I've got no problems being precise and concise in my criticisms of the bastard rite, but I'm not going to stop calling it a bastard rite.

"Grow up, learn how to refer to the liturgy in a proper fashion, and try to show a little class."

"The liturgy?"  "Proper fashion?"  You mean show it (the NO) some respect?  Never!

I honestly cannot speak for KK here, but I can guess as to what he means, and I find it to be quite agreeable and important.

You do not have to show respect for the Novus Ordo in any greater sense than a gentleman would show respect for his enemy.  That is to say, vehemently condemn it, fight against it, expose it for what it is, etc., but childish name calling is not necessary.  If anything, it takes away from discussion.

This same decency is given to the pope (or supposed pope, given your personal views).  You do not have to call JPII "pope' but at least refer to him by his papal (or anti-papal) name as we do with the other popes (or anti-popes).  There's really nothing to be gained with things like "VPoo" or "John Paul the Small" or even "0bama".

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 07, 2013, 10:51:43 PM
Council of Trent, re: The Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist, canon 9

"If anyone says that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs which the Catholic Church uses in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety rather than stimulants to piety, let him be anathema."

The idea that the NO is a Catholic rite and lacking in some way, as to be an incentive to impiety, is a condemned proposition.  Either it is Catholic, and beyond reproach, or it is not, and it is worthy of criticism.

I cannot speak for JayneK, but this does seem to leave wiggle room for the proposition that the NO is inherently defective in that it lacks something present in the TLM, but that it still may lead to piety rather than impiety.

I personally find this position untenable, but it's not one that directly contradicts this passage.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LouisIX on May 08, 2013, 12:13:41 AM
I personally find this position untenable, but it's not one that directly contradicts this passage.

Would you care to elaborate?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LouisIX

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 08, 2013, 12:15:33 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on May 08, 2013, 12:13:41 AM

Would you care to elaborate?

Well, there's a number of ways to approach the above proposition.  On the one hand, you may say that, in regards to the faith, something which is defective would necessarily lead to impiety.  I'm not sold on that, but it's an interesting argument.

On the other hand, I think it's quite obvious that the NO is indeed (often or always, take your pick) damaging to the faith, and a source of impiety.  That is evident in its theology, its history, etc.  But that requires a close look at the missal itself.

My point was merely that the quotation which Mith provided isn't sufficient for reproving all those who find the NO both Catholic and yet inferior to the TLM.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 07, 2013, 11:03:26 AM
Finally, a bit on tone.  Sedevacantists are welcome here.  It says so in the rules.  However, posters will begin to start using some common decency towards the Pope.  To my knowledge, Protestants, heretics, and schismatics all use "Pope Francis" when referring to the current pope.  You too can have the decency to do so.  To my mind, it is childish and immature to do otherwise.  Please also refer to the Novus Ordo in some coherent, mature fashion.  Calling it the NewChurch BastardBogusOrdo promulgated by NewHomoPaulVI is just inane.  Grow up, learn how to refer to the liturgy in a proper fashion, and try to show a little class.

The main difference, as I see it, between how non-Catholics view the Pope and how Sedes view him is that the non-Catholics consider him to be Pope and head of the Catholic Church.  They just don't consider themselves part of that Church or subject to it's Pope.  So, in the same way that I, as a American and not an Englishwoman, would refer to the Prime Minister as such, they refer to the Pope as Pope Francis and acknowlege his office, if not it's authority over them.

Sedes, on the other hand, are part of the Church and see themselves as such.  They just don't see the Pope as part of the Church, and as such have trouble referring to a non-Catholic (in their eyes) as Pope.

Sedes -- feel free to correct me on this if I'm misrepresenting your position.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Mithrandylan

You are correct OC, except for one thing: and it's a bit of terminology that many seem to have trouble with.

It is incorrect to say "sedes don't see the pope as part of the Church."  They very much do.  They don't think heretics are part of the church. 
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 08, 2013, 12:31:02 AM
You are correct OC, except for one thing: and it's a bit of terminology that many seem to have trouble with.

It is incorrect to say "sedes don't see the pope as part of the Church."  They very much do.  They don't think heretics are part of the church.

The "man calling himself the Pope" then...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Jayne

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on May 07, 2013, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on May 07, 2013, 10:49:38 PM
Ah I see. So for her, the mass that by her own admission, is always defective and that she finds troubling, is...reverent and helpful to her faith?

OK...  ::)

Nah, that is not what I said. Simply that one can get something out of it, if one goes to a serious amount of effort.
After all, it does not logically follow that if the Novus Ordo is defective in some sense as compared to the traditional Mass, that there is no grace whatsoever available to those who attend. It might be reasonable to argue that, but it is not a logical entailment. It would require further unpacking, at the very least.

I am trying to avoid discussions of the NO in which I might make comments that come across as a defense of the NO.  So about all I have to say is that you seem to understand my position well.  Thank you.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on May 07, 2013, 10:10:51 PM
Something is not right with these responses.
Under the "Will you attend the NO?" thread, JayneK declared:

Quote from: RealJayneK on April 23, 2013, 01:08:31 PM
For the record, I have attended the NO  in Latin, ad orientem, with no altar girls, lay readers, nor EMHCs, with orthodox homilies and traditional music and accompanied by sound catechesis.  I thought it was reverent and found it helpful to my faith.

Quote from: RealJayneK on May 07, 2013, 05:28:01 PM
Quote from: CoolCat on May 07, 2013, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 07, 2013, 05:12:39 PM
Quote from: CoolCat on May 07, 2013, 05:06:54 PM
Quote from: RealJayneK on May 07, 2013, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 07, 2013, 11:03:26 AMThe entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is in some way defective.

I do agree with this statement, in case anyone is wondering.  Of course, you were wondering.  It is all about me.

Wait a moment.  Part of that post really was about me.  Thanks for clarifying my status, KK.   :)

Glad the word -always- is not in that sentence.

Am I to assume you would both agree that:  The entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is in some way defective only when celebrated incorrectly.

No, I would not agree with that.
Interesting.

Do you both agree that:  The entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is ALWAYS in some way defective.

Yes.  I would agree with that.  I find the the theological shift even in the correctly celebrated New Mass quite troubling.

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 07, 2013, 11:03:26 AM
Forum...

On the topic of RealJayneK.  Jayne is welcome to post here at Suscipe Domine.  From what I've seen and had reported (oh, who am I kidding, hardly anyone reports threads), Jayne has broken no rules here.  She is welcome to continue posting here at Suscipe Domine.  Take her words and posts at face value.  From what I know of and about her, she is sincere in her posting. 

It doesn't seem that way KK.

I have thought of something I can say about this that does not require specific discussion about the NO.  You are comparing my comments about my subjective experience of worship to my comments regarding my objective analysis of theological implications.  There is nothing strange or insincere about two such different perspectives yielding different results.

Perhaps we should instead consider the sincerity of a person who in PM claims to accept my apology and that he has forgiven my fault and says "I will pray for you" and yet in public has a pattern of posting a "me too" type message whenever anyone writes anything negative about me and over a year later complains about what I did and that I did not apologize in public.  How was I to know you wanted a public apology when you claimed that you had forgiven me?  You also claim that I did nothing to make amends.  I have tried to be patient and uncomplaining in putting up with your nasty treatment of me for over a year.  I did that because I was conscious of having wronged you and I wanted to make amends.

CoolCat

Quote from: LouisIX on May 07, 2013, 09:32:32 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 07, 2013, 11:03:26 AMThe entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is in some way defective.

I do agree with this statement, in case anyone is wondering.  Of course, you were wondering.  It is all about me.

Wait a moment.  Part of that post really was about me.  Thanks for clarifying my status, KK.   :)

Am I to assume you would both agree that:  The entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is in some way defective only when celebrated incorrectly.

Interesting.

Do you both agree that:  The entire basis of traditionalism is there is something wrong with the post-conciliar Church and that the Novus Ordo is ALWAYS in some way defective.

Do you agree with that, CoolCat?
I do not. Sorry.

LouisIX

Quote from: CoolCat on May 08, 2013, 01:11:41 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on May 07, 2013, 09:32:32 PM

Interesting.

Do you agree with that, CoolCat?
I do not. Sorry.

No problem.  Just keep in mind that those who do agree with that, per forum rules, are not any less Catholic.  Indeed, that is the theological slant of this forum.

Jayne

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on May 07, 2013, 10:55:55 PM
Since this thread is about Jaynek, she is playing both sides, and taking us for a ride...
That is all I will speak of this topic and under this thread.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

You are an expert on playing both sides.  In PM you accepted my apology that I made immediately after offending you.  Months later, you were still being noticeably hostile toward me in your posts, so I sent another PM to ask if you had a problem with me.  You reassured me that everything was fine.  You even said that you thought we would be friends if we knew each other in real life.

Yet here you are, still hostile, still maligning me.  Where is the friendly, forgiving fellow of the PMs?  Where is your evidence that I am "taking us for a ride"?  My PMs are consistent with my posts and my posts are consistent with each other.  That is more than some can say.

I admit that, since some people claim it is trolling whenever anyone disagrees with the theological slant of the forum, I do try to avoid doing that.   So there are things I believe that I do not mention often.  It looks like I can't win.  If I keep quiet about them, I am accused of being sneaky and deceptive.  If I speak, then I am accused of being a troll.

While I may avoid some topics out of a desire to keep the peace, everything that I write is true and can be taken at face value.

Kaesekopf

This forum can't have nice things, it seems.

Are we adults here or are we flipping children?  Some days I can hardly tell.

Oh look, another locked thread.

:rolleyes:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.