Chat FAQs and Tips

Started by TerrorDæmonum, February 08, 2013, 08:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

ADMG

TerrorDæmonum

This is the updated version of this thread.

It sure would be nice to be able to edit all of one's posts...

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 21, 2021, 02:51:57 PM
This is the updated version of this thread.

It sure would be nice to be able to edit all of one's posts...
I tried that and what happens is posters say things, then they get upset at whatever, edit all of their posts to a ".", and then storm off in a huff.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 21, 2021, 03:21:27 PM
I tried that and what happens is posters say things, then they get upset at whatever, edit all of their posts to a ".", and then storm off in a huff.

Are not many posts on this forum worth redaction?

I get your point though.

But you'll find that most people are low effort people, not the sort of insanity that manually engage in a highly repetitive and boring task on a GUI knowing full well the task could have been automated, but not caring.

And reading my old posts...they are somewhat time sensitive most of the time and not worth archival efforts. I found some mistakes thought that are annoying.

Such is life.

queen.saints

Maybe make an option where you need to get moderator's permission before editing posts after the 24 hrs. That way if you really regret something, like slander, and don't want it on the internet forever causing scandal, it can be removed.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: queen.saints on December 22, 2021, 02:33:49 PM
Maybe make an option where you need to get moderator?s permission before editing posts after the 24 hrs. That way if you really regret something, like slander, and don?t want it on the internet forever causing scandal, it can be removed.

One can always ask for one's posts to be removed or redacted. I've done that before on a forum at least once I think. Maybe it was here, but I was on many forums in the past.

But the permissions of SMF to allow a person to edit their own posts isn't that individually tuned. The moderator would have to edit it themselves or change the permissions for everybody in the membergroup, or, create a new membergroup where there are different permissions, and then change that person back and there would be no way to restrict them to a single post.

In practice, the moderator would deal with it themselves or not.

This would work for posts to be removed or redacted fully...but typo-fixing and editing for style would require a full time moderator to be on hand to do it. They'd flip.