A Very Teen explanation of the Byzantine Liturgy.

Started by voxxpopulisuxx, December 23, 2013, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on December 29, 2013, 01:17:37 PM
Is the Hungarian or Greek Divine Liturgy exactly the same (except for the language)?
I doubt it (but I actually dont know for sure). The ukrainian and ruthenian Byzantine DLs have wording variations . But nothing in its essentials.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

per_passionem_eius

Did she say the daily gospel readings are the same in every rite?  I didn't think they were the same even in the '2' Roman rites.  I know the calendars aren't the same; could that be why they seem different?

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on December 29, 2013, 01:48:51 PM
Did she say the daily gospel readings are the same in every rite?  I didn't think they were the same even in the '2' Roman rites.  I know the calendars aren't the same; could that be why they seem different?
I think shes correct we have the same calendar in the east...not with the west (although the uniates share the Holy days)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

spasiisochrani

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on December 29, 2013, 01:17:37 PM
Is the Hungarian or Greek Divine Liturgy exactly the same (except for the language)?

The services were translated into Hungarian from Church Slavonic in the early 20th century, and they are exactly the same as the services celebrated in Church Slavonic by the Carpatho-Rusyns who lived in the Kingdom of Hungary at the time.  The Greeks do things slightly differently, but the essentials are the same.  For instance, the Greeks and the Slavs both tend to abbreviate the Antiphons, but they do it in different ways.  The Byzantine Liturgy is kind of like the Latin Mass before Trent.  There are minor variations between countries, between dioceses, between villages, and even between parishes.

RebornPure

Hi everyone! I am happy to see such acceptance of this video and it's complicated/delicate topic (as in it is hard to please everyone with a video on this subject). I did have to correct myself on a few things like the readings and also when i foolishly thought "orthodox christians" in the prayer meant the orthodox church of the east... when it really meant the dictionary definition of orthodox..an orthodox christian.. hahaha. nevertheless, thank you! I enjoy reading through this forum now and then!

voxxpopulisuxx

911!

RebornPure

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 01, 2014, 11:48:15 PM
Are you the young lady who made the video?

Yes :) nice to meet you. Thank you for sharing it with the people here. My youtube account is RebornPureAdmin. It is called this because my name is Renee Catherine, which translates to 'Reborn' 'Pure'. I saw that i reminded you of your daughter. That really made me smile :)

Parresia

Quote from: RebornPure on February 02, 2014, 12:35:15 PM

Yes :) nice to meet you. Thank you for sharing it with the people here. My youtube account is RebornPureAdmin. It is called this because my name is Renee Catherine, which translates to 'Reborn' 'Pure'. I saw that i reminded you of your daughter. That really made me smile :)

Welcome to the forum! 

voxxpopulisuxx

Well I am cradle Byzantine Ruthenian and  Cantor (in training but almost there) and a Ukrainian Cantor as well. I want you to know you did a very charming and very accurate Job...I was most impressed. Are you eastern rite? Also I noticed the blue book you were singing from in the video is actually the same one I use at the Ukrainian Church as Cantor there. But the Ukrainian and Ruthenian (byzantines) Music and Liturgy have some differences.

911!

RebornPure

Quote from: Parresia on February 02, 2014, 12:39:29 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!!

RebornPure

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 02, 2014, 12:39:50 PM

Well I am cradle Byzantine Ruthenian and  Cantor (in training but almost there) and a Ukrainian Cantor as well. I want you to know you did a very charming and very accurate Job...I was most impressed. Are you eastern rite? Also I noticed the blue book you were singing from in the video is actually the same one I use at the Ukrainian Church as Cantor there. But the Ukrainian and Ruthenian (byzantines) Music and Liturgy have some differences.

Yes i am cradle Byzantine Ukrainian. God bless you for being i assume a very needed cantor for those parishes! There are definitely musical differences between the Ukrainian and the Ruthenian. That is neat you knew first hand the book i was using!

dueSicilie

I would love to go to a Divine Liturgy, especially a Constantinoploean-style Greek one.

Too bad about this whole Schism and irrational hatred of all things Latin,

Do Ukrainian Churches in the US ever use Slavonic in the Liturgy?

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: dueSicilie on February 02, 2014, 02:39:16 PM
I would love to go to a Divine Liturgy, especially a Constantinoploean-style Greek one.

Yes..but some are exclusively Ukrainian.....(remember the Jewish Communists nearly wiped out their nation in the holomador).and the Ukrainians are the Most Roman Catholic Friendly

911!

3Sanctus

Quote from: dueSicilie on February 02, 2014, 02:39:16 PM

I've attended Divine Liturgies was all sort of language thrown in there.  For feasts, the priest at the local Ruthenian parish would use Greek and Church Slavonic in addition to English for a lot of the prayers - luckily Easterners are used to lots of repetition already.   ;)

I was at a local OCA parish for the Dormition of the Theotokos this past year (the parish's patronal feast) and I think the priest used just about every Eastern European/Eastern European language  there is.  Talk about a long Liturgy!  And they don't have pews.   ;)

voxxpopulisuxx

Yeah the nuts that remove the pews in the name of so called tradition.(dubious)..are about dividing the church not unifying it...about trying to keep ethnic connections alive over the sacraments.

911!