Best biography on St Thomas More?

Started by LausTibiChriste, August 10, 2016, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Was at the bookstore today. They had like 9 different bio's on St Thomas More. I didn't want to just pick up a random one and find it infested with modernist nonsense, so if anyone has any recommendations let me know if you'd be so kind
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Buy all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

I read this one: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Thomas-More-Peter-Ackroyd/dp/0385496931/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1470891372&sr=8-13&keywords=Thomas+More%2C+biography years ago. It was thorough, and good. The author also wrote an excellent biography of Dickens (which I own and love). :)
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on August 10, 2016, 10:58:16 PM
I read this one: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Thomas-More-Peter-Ackroyd/dp/0385496931/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1470891372&sr=8-13&keywords=Thomas+More%2C+biography years ago. It was thorough, and good. The author also wrote an excellent biography of Dickens (which I own and love). :)

I borrowed that one from the library a few weeks ago. It bothered me because every fifth sentence was a quote in Olde English and made it hard to read I found. Maybe I should give it another go. I have his books on London and the Thames and they're fantastic.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 10, 2016, 10:47:43 PM
Buy all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

you're as helpful as a hemorrhoid

- MaximGun

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 10, 2016, 11:02:41 PM

I borrowed that one from the library a few weeks ago. It bothered me because every fifth sentence was a quote in Olde English and made it hard to read I found. Maybe I should give it another go. I have his books on London and the Thames and they're fantastic.

I had to read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in that weird Middle English, and More's Utopia with all of that weird spelling. Nothing fazes me now.  :o And now I want to go find it in my local library.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 10, 2016, 11:02:41 PM

Middle English:

man com & se how schal alle ded li: wen yolk comes bad & bare
moth have ben ve awa? fare: All ?s werm?s yt ve for care:—
bot yt ve do for god ?s luf ve haue nothyng yare:
yis graue l?s John ye sm?th god yif his soule hewn grit

Old English:

Hwæt! We Gar-Dena   in gear-dagum

þeod-cyninga,   þrym gefrunon,

hu ða æþelingas   ellen fremedon!

Oft Scyld Scefing   sceaþena þreatum

monegum mægþum   meodo-setla ofteah;

egsode eorl[as]   syððan ærest wearð

feasceaft funden;   he þæs frofre gebad,

weox under wolcnum,   weorð-myndum þah,

oðæt him æghwylc   þara ymb-sittendra

ofer hron-rade   hyran scolde,

gomban gyldan.   Þæt wæs god cyning!
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

LausTibiChriste

Ok wasnt that whack but it still was enough for me to take it back, considering the pile of books I have lined up to read.

- MaximGun

Non Nobis

Amazon had this listed at 99 cents for Kindle; but when I clicked on the link it took me to Utopia instead (the book Thomas More wrote; Utopia means "no place" so I guess the link took me "no place")

I think I need to go to bed.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Bernadette

Quote from: Non Nobis on August 11, 2016, 12:50:43 AM

Amazon had this listed at 99 cents for Kindle; but when I clicked on the link it took me to Utopia instead (the book Thomas More wrote; Utopia means "no place" so I guess the link took me "no place")

I hate it when Amazon does stuff like this. :(
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on August 11, 2016, 09:01:16 AM
Quote from: Non Nobis on August 11, 2016, 12:50:43 AM

I hate it when Amazon does stuff like this. :(

I found the Kindle version for... $12.99!!!  :o

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Thomas-More-Peter-Ackroyd-ebook/dp/B0089EHJEO/ref=sr_1_5

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Yikes, I'd have to go with the Audible version. Half the price. ;)

Edit: Never mind. That link goes to Utopia, too. :(
My Lord and my God.