One Car Families?

Started by drummerboy, November 12, 2017, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

How many families/couples here get by with one car?  Having a car for every member of the family it seems has become standard in the past 20 some years, I'm curious how many still get by with one.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

kayla_veronica

We did until very recently. It was doable, but definitely a sacrifice.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

JubilateDeo

I wouldn't mind if I lived in an urban area where I could walk everywhere and school, the library, the grocery store, church and friends were all in walking distance.  As it stands, having 2 kids at 2 different schools would not be doable if I was home all day with no car. 

dymphna17

We are a couple with only one car.  But, we have motorcycles and a dune buggy that he can take to work if I have a doctors appointment or something along those lines.  I don't like it, but I know that we just don't have the extra money to spend on me getting a car.  If I was working, it would be an entirely different situation.   :shrug:  :)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Maximilian

One car. 2001 model. We'll see how much longer it lasts.
No other vehicles, not even a riding lawnmower.

The Curt Jester

My family is a one car family until I go pick up the second one from the shop tomorrow.   That lasted one day.   Where I live, it would not be too much inconvenience to do with only one vehicle since I could easily walk to work if I wanted to.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

MundaCorMeum

We have a family vehicle that fits all 9 of us; and then my husband has a little commuter car for work.  It wouldn't be very economical for him to drive the family vehicle to work everyday, even though I don't need it every day.  I do need it on some days, though, for school commitments and various doctor's appointments and whatnot.  I don't see anything wrong with having more than one vehicle, if you really need it; however, there's no way we will have one car for each person in the family as the kids start driving.  Insanity. 

piabee

My friend does. They bus/Lyft when the other has it.

Chestertonian

if it wasn't for the fact that the NYC subway system is only 24% wheelchair accessible, we could have gotten away with being a zero car family.  The minivan primarily is for transporting me.. the mrs and the children get around better without it
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Non Nobis

I probably shouldn't be posting here since I've never married (= NOT family).  But the story of my (only) car is a little curious.  I totaled my previous car 10 years ago (when I hit a tree, breaking my back).  But (by chance)  I found another car with the same make, model, year, and paint color (plus lower mileage). I think it is the ghost of the first car :ghost1:. I hope so, because then it is immortal!!   :D  So far so good.  Well, ghosts do get dents, don't they?
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Carleendiane

The only type public transportation I am familiar with is the school bus. There was no other forms where I grew Up. My town was very small you could easily walk from one end to the other. N S E W. It was not until I moved near Detroit that I saw public transportation. And yet, I never used it.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

There were 8 kids in my family, but I can never remember having more than one car. But again, we lived in a small town.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

JubilateDeo

Public transportation definitely makes it easier to be a one car family, but it has its own cost associated with it.  I'm friends with the Catholic family around the corner from me with 6 children.  They get by with a Honda Odyssey and that's it.  But her husband works in the city and we have a Jitney stop right in front of our house.  A monthly commuter pass from our town to Penn Station is about the cost of a car payment on a small commuter car.  The Jitney pass is $80/year, which has stops throughout the town that take you directly to the train station. 

Akavit

I'll be doing a one truck household next year.  Getting a home near the workplace and close to a grocery store and post office minimizes the need for trips out of town.

drummerboy

Thanks all for the replies so far.  I am toying with the idea of selling one of our cars, since my wife will be bumping down to part time soon and its not a big problem for me to drop/pick her up.  But since we own both cars completely the savings would only be the insurance and any potential repairs (which have actually added up ALOT over the years!), which isn't really worth it.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne