Anyone see “Amadeus”?

Started by TheReturnofLive, June 10, 2021, 06:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReturnofLive

Just saw it a second time - thoughts? Message? Historical accuracy? Overrated / should be seen by everyone?
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Michael Wilson

Some of it, especially the music was fantastic; the enmity between he and Saliery is exagerated (I was told); also Salieri's explanation to the priest why he hated God (because of his one chance to gain renown, co-operating with Mozart's last musical composition), left the priest at a loss for words; just a cheap shot at the Church.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 10, 2021, 08:33:46 AM
Some of it, especially the music was fantastic;
Well, of course, it is all Mozart. :D

the enmity between he and Saliery is exagerated (I was told);
Yes.  In real life they were friends from what can be gleaned from history.

also Salieri's explanation to the priest why he hated God (because of his one chance to gain renown, co-operating with Mozart's last musical composition), left the priest at a loss for words; just a cheap shot at the Church.
Do you mean that Salieri's hate is a cheap shot at the Church?  I'm not sure what you mean here with that last semi colon.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

The mental invalid meekly asking for a blessing was my favorite scene. The scene with a daffy M. and the stern Archbishop resonated, too.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

I found it quite entertaining.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Jacob,
QuoteI'm not sure what you mean here with that last semi colon.
I don't have a clue how to use punctuation marks, so I just throw them in to the sentence randomly, like throwing darts at a target; I hope that at least some of them will find the mark.  :laugh:
Yes, I did mean Salieri's hate and the priest's inability to respond.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

TheSaintsAreComing

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 07:59:26 AM
Jacob,
QuoteI'm not sure what you mean here with that last semi colon.
I don't have a clue how to use punctuation marks, so I just throw them in to the sentence randomly, like throwing darts at a target; I hope that at least some of them will find the mark.  :laugh:
Yes, I did mean Salieri's hate and the priest's inability to respond.

It was several years ago I saw the movie, but that was also something that struck me as just a cheap-shot. Amadeus is mad and thinks God conspires against him, and that makes him reject God. Maybe that would be difficult for the priest to answer to, but it's not like Amadeus have beaten the priest - Amadeus's just a sad man that couldn't deal with reality
I'm gone

Insanis

Quote from: TheSaintsAreComing on June 20, 2021, 10:41:47 AM
It was several years ago I saw the movie, but that was also something that struck me as just a cheap-shot. Amadeus is mad and thinks God conspires against him, and that makes him reject God. Maybe that would be difficult for the priest to answer to, but it's not like Amadeus have beaten the priest - Amadeus's just a sad man that couldn't deal with reality
I think you meant Salieri, not Amadeus.

It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I think I enjoyed it.