Chat room is now dead

Started by Kaesekopf, February 06, 2013, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Chatroom is live.  Be sure to stop in.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Graham

Was just on but it was empty.

Jacob

We were logged in yesterday.  Sorry you missed us.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Insanis

Odd that such a nice chat was configured and setup with a nice guide stickied to show how to use it and nobody hangs out there.

I'm there so if anybody wants to chat, or at least, prove to me that it is indeed a channel other people can join (so far, no evidence for it).

Insanis

After figuring out how to setup a nick and trying some IRC commands (it has been quite a long while), I found that the channel wasn't registered. Anybody could have taken control (in fact, technically, the first person to join it when it was previous empty would have been temporarily automatically op while in it).

Well, I registered it with my nick and I'll keep it clean (if it ever gets used) while I am around, but watch out for bitrot! You have to maintain and be vigilant!

I just want to be a user, so if anybody in command here wants to be op, let me know and join me for the transfer of op-ship (made that word up).

Insanis

For those reading, the channel is currently moderated and not available for free chat due to spam.

It is currently being investigated, however, it might take some time.

The channel can be used if you register your account, following the instructions here: https://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/Create_your_own_nickname

And let me know what your nick is in a private message on this forum.

(Spam accounts cannot post anything, so it is clean to join and look at and watch.)

Insanis

The chat lives again, however, for the time being, please register your nick and notify me on the forum personal messages so I can grant access.

If you use Tor, please let me know too when you contact me so I am not suspicious. Tor is not restricted, but it was what was used to attempt to spam the channel.

Insanis

Yesterday, the chat was assaulted by a dedicated spamming effort. I set the channel to moderated, and they couldn't do anything. The admin (of the chat service) eventually started recognizing the spammers behavior (through some behind the scene means) and started banning them automatically as they tried to join.

Whatever it was, it seems to be over. It was strange, and seemed to be targeted, however, I haven't used forums or IRC in quite some time so I don't know what the current environment is like.

The channel is going to be opened up soon, but I still recommend you register your nick if you plan on using it.

Insanis

Chat configuration will be set according to circumstances, but it is recommended to register your nick and contact me on the forum letting me know so it can be granted voice (ability to talk when the chat is set to moderated).

dymphnaw

Could there be a limit on how many times a person can post in one day,

Insanis

Quote from: dymphnaw on June 18, 2021, 05:24:27 PM
Could there be a limit on how many times a person can post in one day,

I don't think IRC can be limited that way.

However, it has long periods of inactivity, so it is almost always open for use between two people. Also, one can chat privately in it using private messages.

Insanis

dymphnaw, I see what you mean now. You had the will to post that, and thank attacks on me, but didn't follow up your own statements.

You are not using this as a discussion forum. Maybe there needs to be a minimum posting commitment.

Jacob

--Neal Stephenson

The Curt Jester

There are four people in chat right now.  Remember the days when there were routinely enough people in the chat to have a good discussion?  Why not bring those days back?  Drop on in.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Jacob

Quote from: The Curt Jester on June 28, 2021, 07:41:07 PM
There are four people in chat right now.  Remember the days when there were routinely enough people in the chat to have a good discussion?  Why not bring those days back?  Drop on in.

Yes, do stop on by and hang out.  Chat about heavy stuff or not so heavy stuff.  It's coffee, it's talk, no big whoop.
--Neal Stephenson