"Come Lord Jesus "

Started by Chestertonian, December 18, 2016, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

We missed mass I read the readings at home with my son on my tablet said "Come Lord Jesus

So?lmy son says, "why do we say come Lord Jesus, either he is going to come or he isn't
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Miriam_M

Hello, Ches.

What I would tell my child is the same thing we think when we hear that plea.  It is a plea of the heart, not a plea regarding His actual presence in the world and in the Church.  "Come, Lord Jesus," is a personal invitation to Him to prepare us to allow him to come into our hearts, illuminate our hearts and the world.  It's saying, "Make me (or us) ready for your Divine birth within us."

God never forces Himself upon His creatures; rather, He wants His creatures to invite Him and welcome Him.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Miriam_M on December 18, 2016, 12:31:59 PM
Hello, Ches.

What I would tell my child is the same thing we think when we hear that plea.  It is a plea of the heart, not a plea regarding His actual presence in the world and in the Church.  "Come, Lord Jesus," is a personal invitation to Him to prepare us to allow him to come into our hearts, illuminate our hearts and the world.  It's saying, "Make me (or us) ready for your Divine birth within us."

God never forces Himself upon His creatures; rather, He wants His creatures to invite Him and welcome Him.

Miriam, that's just perfect. If they are of age to understand receiving Christmas at the altar rail, they can understand inviting Him to prepare our hearts to live there. As with Communion, to reside in us and live with us. Your little boy is an old soul Ches, he will get this. He's smart and warm to things of the spirit.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Michael Wilson

It is also the cry of St. John in the Apocalypse ch. 22:
Quote [16] I Jesus have sent my angel, to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the root and stock of David, the bright and morning star. [17] And the spirit and the bride say: Come. And he that heareth, let him say: Come. And he that thirsteth, let him come: and he that will, let him take the water of life, freely. [18] For I testify to every one that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book: If any man shall add to these things, God shall add unto him the plagues written in this book. [19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from these things that are written in this book. [20] He that giveth testimony of these things, saith, Surely I come quickly: Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

[21] The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
The same petition is in the "Our Father": "Thy Kingdom come";
We earnestly beg God to hasten the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ, so that His enemies might be destroyed and His Church may triumph over her persecutors.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M