Why Do People Do This?

Started by Bonaventure, May 12, 2024, 09:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

I've noticed several instances of:

- Crypto-Protestants/Orthos posting to undermine Catholicism in a subtle way

- People dealing with issues seemingly in their own personal life (or as many in the NO say, their "faith journey") who seem to use the forum as their padded cell (GoG/Boniface VIII/AlfredtheGreat and Justin Martyr/Jean Carrier/Kharim)

-People asking for a ban or otherwise being banned, sometimes years ago, and then creating another account to resume posting (GoG/BVIII/AtG, Poche/benedicite, and Petrie/2Vermont/Baylee come to mind)

Why do these people do this?

Boredom?

Undiagnosed mental illness?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Michael Wilson

There was a man that had a talk show on the radio and latter on T.V. The tittle of one of his shows, and what latter would become his moto was: "People are Funny".
But seriously, the crisis in the Church affects all of us in different ways; with the "North Star" of the Pope and Magisterium having been eclipsed for some time, all of us have been forced to certain degree to become "our own Popes"; which is very conducive to a loss of perspective not only our spiritual life but also our natural every day coping mechanisms.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Isn't ,,tittle" the dot above a letter?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melkor

I honestly don't know. I'd have to go with a combination of lack of social awareness, boredom, trolling,and maybe a slight touch of the 'tism.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

Sometimes people want to say something about themselves or about other people on the forum but want to hide identities (theirs, the other person's, or both).  It would be better to just not say it.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Bonaventure

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 12, 2024, 12:49:29 PMSometimes people want to say something about themselves or about other people on the forum but want to hide identities (theirs, the other person's, or both).  It would be better to just not say it.

Agreed, but to make alt accounts with hundreds or even thousands of posts.

Like the AlNg person. Extremely well read on traditionalism with an agenda that seemed to be to get people to leave Catholicism.

Same with Justin Martyr. That's super weird.

I couldn't imagine a trad doing that on CAF or an Ortho Forum or a Reformed Forum. I guess Joao/Vetus/Goldfinch was the exception.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."