Started by TLM424, September 16, 2018, 05:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clau clau

I wish there was a un-thank button.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

mikemac

Quote from: clau clau on September 23, 2018, 05:57:53 AM

There is.  Just click "Withdraw Thanks".
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Daniel

I think he means an anti-thank button.

Miriam_M

You can always criticize the post you wish to criticize.  ;)

clau clau

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 23, 2018, 09:50:56 AM

You can always criticize the post you wish to criticize.  ;)

Good point.

The bottom line is that I think this is a stupid topic.  It seems to come up on a regular basis.  There always seems to be virtue signalling going on all over the place.

When I read some of the posts my eyes gloss over.

Here's how I look at it.  I try to imagine Jesus walking up to me when I am doing something on Sunday that would not be in say the spirit of the law.  If I was not keeping Sunday holy I would get this look from Jesus that said 'Clau Clau, you should not really be doing that, it is Sunday'.  I would then acknowledge his disappointed expression with a look of guilt.  I would then try to do better next time.

Inevitably, I would keep this up for a few weeks/months and then slip back into my old ways; but the point is I need to keep trying and never give up.

I suppose I would describe the above as, following my conscience.

The problem is there are just situations which come up and you are between a rock and a hard place.

Here are 2 recent examples:

1.  I used to work a large insurance company supporting the IT in direct insurance call-centre.  About every 2 months I HAD to work on Sundays.  The only alternative would be to leave.  That was just the nature of the job I had.  I had to work from 7am to 3pm (on Sunday) and it was not possible to get to Mass on these days.  I used to feel emotional pressure that I should not do this.  Zealots on the internet would criticise this because they do not understand the financial pressures I am under.

I absolutely HATED doing that job but I have a large family to support and cannot afford to walk away from my job.  An alternative job may have involved a 2 hour commute and my seeing less of my family by up to 10 hours per week.

2.  I was diagnosed with clinical-depression 2 years ago. One form of therapy I use to deal with this is to go on long bike-rides.  About once a year I go on a 2 day bike ride with some colleagues from my old work (see 1. above).  I find this very helpful but UNFORTUNATELY it makes it very hard to get to Mass on the Sunday.  The first time I did this I actually tried and ended up going to a local New Mass (don't get me started ... I'm never going again).

In the 2 examples shown above I am likely to get a variety of opinions of the rights and wrongs. Everything from; I committed a mortal sin and my soul is in danger to, 'Nothing to worry about .. carry on'.

There you go .... rant over.

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Warwick

Im  new Catholic  I didn't realize it was a sin to buy on sunday. Just  to make  sure, Its always a sin to buy food on sunday? Is it it  a sin to go out to eat on sunday or go out for a drink? I appreciate this thread I work on Plumbing and go on call once a month. So ive had to work Sundays  which  i feel horrible about, but it is an emergency  type situation