Burying St. Joseph: Thoughts?

Started by OCLittleFlower, June 04, 2018, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Elizabeth on June 06, 2018, 07:28:40 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 05, 2018, 10:12:23 PM

Burying medals is an old tradition -- it's actually how the "bury St. Joseph" tradition got started, since it was originally medals and not statues.
Yes it is, for example the St. Benedict Medal buried in the four corners of the fields, house, etc., is very powerful. 
(then of course I'm the type to worry about all of the St. Benedict medals scaring off potential buyers  ::))

Wouldn't they only find them after the fact, if at all? (Since they're buried and all.)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 06, 2018, 02:00:39 PM
Quote from: Elizabeth on June 06, 2018, 07:28:40 AM

Burying medals is an old tradition -- it's actually how the "bury St. Joseph" tradition got started, since it was originally medals and not statues.
Yes it is, for example the St. Benedict Medal buried in the four corners of the fields, house, etc., is very powerful. 
(then of course I'm the type to worry about all of the St. Benedict medals scaring off potential buyers  ::))

Wouldn't they only find them after the fact, if at all? (Since they're buried and all.)
I think Elizabeth means the presence of the medals would drive off the demons, meaning thered be a smaller pool of people actually wanting the house.  Lol

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 05, 2018, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 04, 2018, 03:46:55 PM
Superstitious nonsense and irreverent to bury a statue like that.

Just pray to him with trust.

I think I agree with this, but don't tend to condemn those who do it because they usually mean very well.  I know someone who planted Miraculous Medals around a Church as a way of asking Our Lady to provide extra protection (this concerns the chapel that I mentioned in another thread). They look at it something like sprinkling blessed salt.

There is a little kit called "Saint Joseph, Home Seller" that is available for this purpose. In it, it says,
Quote"The tradition of burying a statue of Saint Joseph finds it's roots in the ancient Catholic custom of burying blessed medals in the ground, invoking God's blessing on the area. It is not the medal, but the blessing, which brings God's power. In 18th century Europe, communities of Nuns would ask Saint Joseph's help to find land for their convents. They would bury a medal of Saint Joseph and ask for his blessing. As the testimonies of God's favor through Saint Joseph spread, the custom changed from burying medals to burying statues."

In the instructions, it says
Quote"4. When your house sells, make sure to bring the statue with you to your new home and place it in a place of honor as a reminder to thank God."
I know of several people who have used this and believe it has helped. I'm not sure if I would use it or not. I don't understand why it would be superstitious to bury a statue but not superstitious to bury a medal. I tend to agree with Non on this one. I won't condemn those who do use it, but I don't think I would myself. Although, if I had a house that had been on the market for years and hadn't sold, I might change my mind and give it a shot.  :shrug:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

OCLittleFlower

If my house is on the market for years, I'd be horrified.  Most places sell within two weeks in the current market here!

dymphna17

I know of people who move down here, buy a house and are still waiting on their previous house to sell. Often the Mom stays with the previous house, the kids come down here with Dad and start school. After a couple of years, Mom goes ahead and moves down to be with the family and they rely on the realtor to make the sale. This has happened many times. The poor people are making 2 house payments on top of everything else. One of our Priests actually gave a talk admonishing people about this. Sell your house BEFORE you move here. Otherwise you are just inviting trouble. It's kind of like the poor people who move down here without Dad having a job. People just have their priorities mixed up.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 06, 2018, 05:30:07 PM
I know of people who move down here, buy a house and are still waiting on their previous house to sell. Often the Mom stays with the previous house, the kids come down here with Dad and start school. After a couple of years, Mom goes ahead and moves down to be with the family and they rely on the realtor to make the sale. This has happened many times. The poor people are making 2 house payments on top of everything else. One of our Priests actually gave a talk admonishing people about this. Sell your house BEFORE you move here. Otherwise you are just inviting trouble. It's kind of like the poor people who move down here without Dad having a job. People just have their priorities mixed up.

Oh my goodness!  That's insane!

Yeah, we're moving about 10 miles from our house.  No major life changes, we just want a bigger yard, etc.  And there's no way we could do two California house payments, believe me!

lauermar

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 05, 2018, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 04, 2018, 03:46:55 PM
Superstitious nonsense and irreverent to bury a statue like that.

Just pray to him with trust.

I think I agree with this, but don't tend to condemn those who do it because they usually mean very well.  I know someone who planted Miraculous Medals around a Church as a way of asking Our Lady to provide extra protection (this concerns the chapel that I mentioned in another thread). They look at it something like sprinkling blessed salt.

I have planted Miraculous Medals on my property before. I even did it at my last job when the clinic was struggling. This time around with the struggles in my new job, I got a strong push to hand them out to my colleagues rather than bury them. I didn't want to do it but complied anyway. There's redemptive value in evangelizing others with it instead of burying it. 
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

jovan66102

[quote author=OCLittleFlower link=topic=20116.msg444437#msg444437
[/quote]

I'm a bit confused. How is it OK to bury a medal with the image of a Saint, but suddenly superstitious nonsense to bury a statue of the same Saint?
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

lauermar

Because most people burying statues do not honor or practice devotion to St. Joseph. They aren't interested in medals of saints. Instead, they buy a homeseller's statue kit and treat it like a lucky rabbit's foot. I had agnostic neighbors who did that and made fun of their buried statue endlessly.

Intention is everything!!!

Obviously if you are a practicing Catholic at home, you can bury some medals or worn out scapulars. I have many in my yard. We survived a tornado touchdown, a flying giant willow tree pulled up from its roots that missed my car by 6 inches, and many microbursts. Our next door neighbors weren't so lucky---they lost their roofs.

I also have BVM statues in both of my gardens facing the road and the lake, where passers-by can plainly see them.

If you are desperate to sell your house, it is an effective evangelization tool to put the statue on a mantel or prominent place where potential buyers can see it. It will also serve remind you to say your daily novena to St. Joseph.

If a Catholic (who should know better) buries St. Joseph without practicing any prayer or petition, and simply forgets about him, he is no different than my agnostic neighbors.

It's typical for agnostics to insist on burying the statue because they think the house won't sell any other way! As if St. Joseph ignores the prayers of someone who displays the statue. That is where superstitious nonsense comes in.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

dymphna17

None of this is making sense. I don't mean to pick on you, lauermar, yours is just the easiest to bring questions up in.

Quote from: lauermar on June 07, 2018, 06:27:42 PM
Because most people burying statues do not honor or practice devotion to St. Joseph. There is no way you can know this. They aren't interested in medals of saints. Instead, they buy a homeseller's statue kit and treat it like a lucky rabbit's foot. I had agnostic neighbors who did that and made fun of their buried statue endlessly. Then that is on them. That doesn't mean it's not efficacious for people who use it properly. None of this is a reason to believe that burying a statue is superstitious. It may be a reason to consider these people idiots who are being superstitious about the practice, but this doesn't make the practice itself superstitious.

Intention is everything!!!  No, it's not. But if it was, that would mean that good Catholics who employ this practice properly would be just fine in doing so.

Obviously if you are a practicing Catholic at home, you can bury some medals or worn out scapulars or statues. I have many in my yard. We survived a tornado touchdown, a flying giant willow tree pulled up from its roots that missed my car by 6 inches, and many microbursts. Our next door neighbors weren't so lucky not to nitpick or anything...---they lost their roofs.

I also have BVM statues in both of my gardens facing the road and the lake, where passers-by can plainly see them. This has nothing to do with burying a statue to sell your home. You can obviously do both.

If you are desperate to sell your house, it is an effective evangelization tool to put the statue on a mantel or prominent place where potential buyers can see it. It will also serve remind you to say your daily novena to St. Joseph. This doesn't mean you can't bury a statue either.

If a Catholic (who should know better) buries St. Joseph without practicing any prayer or petition, and simply forgets about him, he is no different than my agnostic neighbors. But a Catholic who buries St Joseph and has prayers and petitions that he says is just fine.

It's typical for agnostics to insist on burying the statue because they think the house won't sell any other way! As if St. Joseph ignores the prayers of someone who displays the statue. That is where superstitious nonsense comes in. How many of these agnostics who have done this do you know? I have never met a single one who would bother with such a thing. Why in the world would they? If they think that their house wouldn't sell without having a statue of St Joseph buried in the yard, then they aren't true agnostics. It just doesn't make any sense. And who said anything about St Joseph ignoring the prayers of someone who displays the statue? I'm sorry, but you haven't made the case for this being a superstitious practice. It's no different than burying a medal for the safety of your property.
?

Greg

Whatever you do, don't bury statues of Hilaire Belloc or Gilbert Keith Chesterton or you'll get subsidance.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 06, 2018, 04:20:57 PM

I think Elizabeth means the presence of the medals would drive off the demons, meaning thered be a smaller pool of people actually wanting the house.  Lol

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
:tinfoil:
mind reader you
:laugh:

kayla_veronica

Novena to St. Joseph did wonders for us (when buying)!
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: kayla_veronica on June 10, 2018, 08:18:17 PM
Novena to St. Joseph did wonders for us (when buying)!

Us too, apparently!

We are going to finish it up, but it worked in about 2 days...  :o (at least for the buying part -- we haven't started showing the house yet as we are moving all our stuff out)

Greg

1000 years after the EMP doomsday some archiologist is going to win a Kardashian Prize of a  lifetime research grant with his discovery of the 'St. Joseph Rain Cult"

"It is thought most experts of the late Trump period that many Californians, driven mad by social media, believed that burying a Statue of Saint Joseph would protect them from drought."
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.