Favorite Oriental Rite?

Started by Livenotonevil, April 22, 2018, 10:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livenotonevil

Specifically, those that have origins in the Oriental Orthodox tradition.

That is,

Coptic
Armenian
Syriac
Ethiopian
Eritrean
Malankara
Jacobite

Which of these do you like the most and why?

The Ethiopian is really, really cool.

But I still personally like the Armenians the most.

May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

aquinas138

I have the most familiarity with the Coptic and the East Syriac (Assyrian/Chaldean). I've translated several hymns from the East Syriac tradition which are pretty interesting. They are very much like the psalms and are completely suffused with scriptural language. Trying to footnote such a composition is hard work! The Coptic Agpeya (their Divine Office) is amazing, and I'm humbled by the number of lay Copts who actually pray it. It's pretty intense compared to the Roman Office, both the traditional and especially the LOTH.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Livenotonevil

May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Patriarch

Maronite (if "ad orientem" and a good deal of Aramaic in it, like the good Monsignor does at the Basilica. :) ). It's Oriental or "Eastern". :) Byzantine after that.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Livenotonevil

Quote from: Patriarch on April 24, 2018, 05:26:17 PM
Maronite (if "ad orientem" and a good deal of Aramaic in it, like the good Monsignor does at the Basilica. :) ). It's Oriental or "Eastern". :) Byzantine after that.

Maronite is weird, because it is something that uniquely sprung up under Rome and didn't break away from an Orthodox Church, like the other Eastern Catholic Churches.

I tend to see Maronite and Armenian as similar simply because they were both Eastern liturgical rites that have been heavily Latinized.

Xavier

I like the Syrian Catholic rites. Many of my friends are Syrian Catholics. There are many rites celebrated within the universal Church of East and West united to the Apostolic See. Our Syrian Catholic brethren call Holy Mass the "Holy Qurbana". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_Catholic_Church

N.B: For those who may not know, those who call themselves Oriental Orthodox broke off after 3 Ecumenical Councils of the Catholic Church. Those who call themselves Greek Orthodox broke off after 7. You have certain other separated jurisdictions, like the Assyrian Church of the East, which broke off after 2. Eastern Catholics returned after the Ecumenical Council of Florence to Catholic communion.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

aquinas138

Quote from: Livenotonevil on April 24, 2018, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: Patriarch on April 24, 2018, 05:26:17 PM

Maronite is weird, because it is something that uniquely sprung up under Rome and didn't break away from an Orthodox Church, like the other Eastern Catholic Churches.

I tend to see Maronite and Armenian as similar simply because they were both Eastern liturgical rites that have been heavily Latinized.

The Maronite relationship to the Syrian Orthodox/Catholics is probably analogous to the relationship between certain Western religious rites and uses and the Roman rite. It's clearly a West Syrian rite; the monastery of Saint Maron from which they descend probably just developed some peculiarities. The Maronite rite has sadly been heavily Novus Ordoized.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Green

The Assyrian Rite since they recieve communion in the hand which triggers the rad trads