St. Joseph

Started by Sophia3, March 19, 2018, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia3

Happy Feast of St. Joseph! Does anyone have any particular devotions to him?

Carleendiane

Said St Joseph novena 10 years straight. Love him very much! Happy feast day St. Joseph.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Heinrich

Finishing the 30 Day Prayer this week.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

lauermar

Yes. I used the EWTN novena for nine days straight because we have major structural damage to our home's foundation over the years and we have to get a home equity loan to fix it. We went to mass on the 9th day, the feast day.

For a year before this, I prayed a regular rosary daily to BVM, invoking St. Joseph to help us find a carpenter. I had looked at 2 contractors. One seemed to go out of business, and the other well-known one caused major financial burdens for my neighbor.

How we found our contractor (Steve) is a miracle. I did not know him or his number. I was carrying my cell phone to my car, and I saw it dialing a local phone number all by itself. I didn't know who it was calling. I aborted on the call, thinking my fingers slipped, although I knew they didn't. Later that evening, Steve left me a message saying he was returning my call, without saying who or what he was.  I had a strange feeling about it, so I googled the number to find out. Lo and behold, he's a contractor and his 30 year business record online at BBB was clean.

The workmen were supposed to start over a week ago. For security reasons the bank Steve uses wouldn't let him couldn't cash my check. This was about 7 days into the novena.

I started talking to Steve about how I found him and how I had prayed. Steve pulled out his phone and showed me pictures of his wall at home, covered with Jesus icons. He said, you hired the right carpenter.  Don't worry.

I told him about the miracle of the chapel stairs at Loretto in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  He loved that story. My brother went to school there at St. Michols briefly in 1967, when he thought he wanted to be an architect. He had to visit the chapel and take pictures for a school project.  He was amazed at how it could be built with 1873 technology.

"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

lauermar

"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Sophia3

Quote from: lauermar on March 19, 2018, 09:18:50 PM
Background on this little miracle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretto_Chapel

A friend of mine (in Idaho) was looking at that chapel to get married at, but she ended up going to Colorado Springs to do it.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Sophia3 on March 19, 2018, 04:16:45 PM

I didn't, until a friend of mine encouraged me to learn more about him and pray to him more.

Now, I've got a daily prayer going to him, and I'm trying to just learn more about him.  Using him as a patron for my life, since sometimes the future is fuzzy and I have no idea what I'm doing, is pretty fitting, especially as he led the Holy Family into Egypt, which couldn't have been straightforward, easy, or safe!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

He's awesome

The rad trad can kiss my ass tbh
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

The Curt Jester

When dating, my wife any I said the litany of St. Joseph every day to help us make the right decision.  My son is named after him.   He (my son) was born the day after the feast of St. Joseph.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 19, 2018, 01:44:16 PM

I didn't, until a friend of mine encouraged me to learn more about him and pray to him more.

Now, I've got a daily prayer going to him, and I'm trying to just learn more about him.  Using him as a patron for my life, since sometimes the future is fuzzy and I have no idea what I'm doing, is pretty fitting, especially as he led the Holy Family into Egypt, which couldn't have been straightforward, easy, or safe!

This novena to St. Joseph involves meditating on 4 topics. I find that the novena is its own reward. However, it's also been very effective.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Joseph/joseph12.htm

A Powerful Novena to Saint Joseph

This novena has proven to be highly efficacious. It seems to be pleasing to St. Joseph and helpful to souls. 

This form of novena was originally devised by the celebrated Fr. Louis Lallemant, S. J. [1587-1633]. It has proved particularly effective in obtaining favors through the intercession of St. Joseph. In the biography of this saintly priest , Life, we learn that the Saint never refused him anything he asked; the story is told that on one occasion he urged two young priests to make this novena, promising that they would obtain everything they asked through the intercession of St. Joseph if, in turn, they would show him special honor and spread devotion to him among others. Both did as Fr. Lallemant suggested. One of them asked for grace to speak and write worthily of Our Lord. But the next day he came to Fr. Lallemant to tell him that, upon reflection, he wished to ask for a different grace, which he considered more conducive to his perfection. Fr. Lallemant replied, "It is too late now to ask for another grace. The first one has already been granted." This grace was conspicuously displayed throughout the whole course of the priest's life, as he became one of the most noted preachers and writers of his day.
HOW TO MAKE THIS NOVENA

NO PARTICULAR PRAYERS NEED BE SAID FOR THIS NOVENA.
EVERYDAY FOR NINE DAYS, TURN TO ST. JOSEPH IN SPIRIT FOUR TIMES (CALLED A "VISIT")
DURING THE DAY AND HONOR HIM IN THE FOLLOWING FOUR POINTS:

1. During the first visit, consider ST. JOSEPH'S FIDELITY TO GRACE.
Reflect upon the action of the Holy Ghost in his soul. At the conclusion
of this brief meditation, thank god for so honoring St. Joseph,
and ask, through his intercession for a similar grace.

2. Later in the day, consider ST. JOSEPH'S FIDELITY
TO THE INTERIOR LIFE.
Study his spirit of recollection. Think, thank God, and ask.

3. Later still, consider ST. JOSEPH'S LOVE FOR OUR LADY.
Think, thank God, and ask.

4. Finally, in a fourth visit, reflect upon ST. JOSEPH'S LOVE
FOR THE DIVINE CHILD.

PRAYER WHICH MAY BE SAID AT THE CONCLUSION OF
THE VISITS EACH DAY

O MY GOD, I thank Thee and bless Thee for St. Joseph's great
faithfulness to grace.  Grant that, through his loving intercession
and the power of his example. I too may be faithful to grace.
O St. Joseph, intercede for me, and obtain for me this favor
I ask. [Name your request.]

faithfulness to the interior life. Grant that, through his loving intercession
and the power of his example. I too may be faithful to the interior life.

love of Our Lady. Grant that, through his loving intercession
and the power of his example. I too may truly love the Blessed Virgin Mary.

love for the Divine Child. Grant that, through his loving intercession
and the power of his example. I too may truly love the Child Jesus.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Maximilian on April 19, 2018, 02:54:49 PM

This novena to St. Joseph involves meditating on 4 topics. I find that the novena is its own reward. However, it's also been very effective.

This novena has proven to be highly efficacious. It seems to be pleasing to St. Joseph and helpful to souls. 

This form of novena was originally devised by the celebrated Fr. Louis Lallemant, S. J. [1587-1633]. It has proved particularly effective in obtaining favors through the intercession of St. Joseph. In the biography of this saintly priest , Life, we learn that the Saint never refused him anything he asked; the story is told that on one occasion he urged two young priests to make this novena, promising that they would obtain everything they asked through the intercession of St. Joseph if, in turn, they would show him special honor and spread devotion to him among others. Both did as Fr. Lallemant suggested. One of them asked for grace to speak and write worthily of Our Lord. But the next day he came to Fr. Lallemant to tell him that, upon reflection, he wished to ask for a different grace, which he considered more conducive to his perfection. Fr. Lallemant replied, "It is too late now to ask for another grace. The first one has already been granted." This grace was conspicuously displayed throughout the whole course of the priest's life, as he became one of the most noted preachers and writers of his day.
HOW TO MAKE THIS NOVENA

EVERYDAY FOR NINE DAYS, TURN TO ST. JOSEPH IN SPIRIT FOUR TIMES (CALLED A "VISIT")

TO THE INTERIOR LIFE.

FOR THE DIVINE CHILD.

THE VISITS EACH DAY

This is my go-to novena. I love novenas, find them very effective and this one is the be all and end all for me. It's effectiveness is beyond words.

Well put M, "it is it's own reward" - it's a spiritual treasure.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Maximilian on April 19, 2018, 02:54:49 PM

HOW TO MAKE THIS NOVENA

TO THE INTERIOR LIFE.

FOR THE DIVINE CHILD.

THE VISITS EACH DAY

Thanks for this.  I may incorporate it.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.