Fasting with Houseguests

Started by Penitent, March 13, 2018, 05:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penitent

We are to have non-Catholic houseguests for four days, Thursday through Sunday. I am fasting in the traditional manner for Lent. Do you think it is more prudent to explain the practice and go without or with substantially less while my guests eat what I provide them, or is it wiser to discreetly consume less than typical, unseasoned and so forth, without giving the appearance of engaging in any kind of mortification. On the one hand, I don't want my guests to feel uncomfortable eating in front of me, on the other I don't want to suspend some discipline of the fast if I am just overthinking things. What would you do? I hope that I made the situation somewhat clear. Thank you in advance for your input.

Kaesekopf

How close are your friends?

Offer them what you'd normally offer guests, and just continue your fasting, I'd say. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

Just do what you normally would for your guests, but keep what you are doing to yourself.  Don't make your penance theirs, in other words.  :)  If it happens to come up in conversation, then talk about it, but don't make any announcements about what you are doing.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Heinrich

It is your house, your soul. Who cares what they think.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gerard

Quote from: Penitent on March 13, 2018, 05:00:19 PM
We are to have non-Catholic houseguests for four days, Thursday through Sunday. I am fasting in the traditional manner for Lent. Do you think it is more prudent to explain the practice and go without or with substantially less while my guests eat what I provide them, or is it wiser to discreetly consume less than typical, unseasoned and so forth, without giving the appearance of engaging in any kind of mortification. On the one hand, I don't want my guests to feel uncomfortable eating in front of me, on the other I don't want to suspend some discipline of the fast if I am just overthinking things. What would you do? I hope that I made the situation somewhat clear. Thank you in advance for your input.

Treat them to your best hospitality.  Continue with your fast.  Enjoy their company and if you feel the need, just say, "It's Lent and this is my sacrifice. I'm looking forward to enjoying...this or that again...in just a few weeks."

abc123

Choose the course of action that draws the least attention to yourself. Pride is very subtle sometimes and even a seemingly innocent acknowledgement that you are fasting can lead to a feeling of self-satisfaction.

Gerard

Quote from: abc123 on March 14, 2018, 07:30:46 PM
Choose the course of action that draws the least attention to yourself. Pride is very subtle sometimes and even a seemingly innocent acknowledgement that you are fasting can lead to a feeling of self-satisfaction.

A feeling of self-satisfaction is not pride.  Happiness at doing God's will or fulfilling a promise is not the same as a pride which exalts a person into removing themselves from obedience to God. 

The attention given to a person is irrelevant. The desire or fear of attention is the problem of pride.  But if a person simply does something because it is the truth, the right thing to do and they aren't concerned with how they appear, that's humility. 

dymphnaw

Don't say anything. Anything else will come off as prideful  or an attempt to make your guests uncomfortable.

spasiisochrani

Gardener

Quote from: spasiisochrani on March 15, 2018, 12:26:00 PM
The Desert Fathers did not fast when they had guests.

https://erenow.com/common/the-desert-fathers/14.php

Was it St. Charles Borromeo who when he would be invited to dinner would eat all they served and drink what they served, and would engage in the most jovial of conversation -- but day to day he was a fasting, no drinking, no nonsense individual.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe