Vocations Explained: Matrimony, Virginity, Religious State, and Priesthood

Started by Geremia, September 20, 2017, 11:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

This is the best, clearest vocations catechism I've seen (which I discovered on the SSPX vocations page):

Vocations Explained: Matrimony, Virginity, Religious State, and Priesthood (1897)
by a Vincentian Father

It was approved by Cdl. Gibbons.

It is vehemently against mixed marriages, and it unequivocally states that it is de fide that the state of virginity or celibacy is better and more blessed than that of marriage (cf. 24th session of the Council of Trent on matrimony).

Maximilian

Quote from: Geremia on September 20, 2017, 11:22:47 AM

It is vehemently against mixed marriages,

It makes a very good point:

Q. Are not conversions often brought about by mixed marriages?
A. Misplaced affections often make candidates for marriage think so, but this is not their chief reason for insisting on such marriages. Temptation, passion, and personal preference have more to do with them than the will of God. Conversions from the faith are more frequent in mixed marriages than conversions to the faith. God's will is not their foundation, and yet, "unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it." God and the Church desire and teach Catholics to take no such risks.

This reminds me of the way that neo-Catholics like EWTN want us to be so ecstatic about such persons as Scott Hahn joining the Church, but they never mention the millions of Catholics walking out the door and going the other way at the same time that one or two are coming in.

Geremia

Quote from: Maximilian on September 20, 2017, 02:18:17 PMIt makes a very good point:

Q. Are not conversions often brought about by mixed marriages?
A. Misplaced affections often make candidates for marriage think so, but this is not their chief reason for insisting on such marriages. Temptation, passion, and personal preference have more to do with them than the will of God. Conversions from the faith are more frequent in mixed marriages than conversions to the faith. God's will is not their foundation, and yet, "unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it." God and the Church desire and teach Catholics to take no such risks.
Yes, that answered the question well. Catholics are not to take rash risks.

Maximilian

I had read only the first page or two when I posted my previous reply, but now that I have read more of it, I am impressed by how excellent it is in general.

The writing is so simple, in the same style as the Baltimore Catechism, and yet it contains so many profound truths.

I especially like the fact that hiding under the simplicity is a completely different world view in so many ways that would not immediately be evident just from the topic.

A society (including the small societies of our families) that is ordered towards a supernatural end is so radically different from one that is fundamentally ordered towards the world, even if it retains some religious elements.