Electric Vehicles - Next Big Hoax

Started by Bonaventure, August 27, 2023, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

I have not jumped on the EV train because I simply don't see the infrastructure as being there.

I live in a major metropolitan area on the Left Coast. Despite this, 90% of cars are gas/diesel powered. The folks who want to drive a Tesla, Rivian, etc. are either:

1. Elon fan boys and Tesla cultists.
2. Banking on Tesla stock
3. Naively believe that EVs are more "green," despite an overwhelming majority of electricity coming from fossil fuels, not hydro or solar power.

Videos such as this have been interesting:

https://youtu.be/z2HneqfZGsM?si=-3zdjDuVQw_avV4Z

https://youtu.be/7JJHr78Ksx0?si=JnRlIY1Ahoma996x

Thoughts?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The Curt Jester

Taking an hour to charge makes them highly unpractical for road trips.  Could you imagine the lines and recharge centers if everyone drove them?
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Kaesekopf

Utterly unworkable from a power grid standpoint.  The grid does not have the capacity or ability to deliver EV charging power to each home, much less 10% of the homes.  The costs will skyrocket (to upgrade the infrastructure) and then the power plants would need to be ramped up to account for the demand.  But wait, we're shutting down power plants?...
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

drummerboy

Not to mention how unsafe they are.  The additional weight from the battery bank is "messing up the numbers" made for vehicles with combustion engines, so of course they have way more momentum, equalling more damage, more fatalities. 

P.S. I'm not an engineer, if you can't tell....
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

I'm not entirely opposed to EV's however.  I drive electric forklift all day so know how advantageous an EV would be in urban settings with short trips, and lots of stop/start driving.  A combustion engine just can't deliver the torque and acceleration of an electric motor in those settings.  If we come to our senses and start utilizing nuclear power again, and the new sodium hydroxide (I think that its called, I heard about it on talk radio a few weeks ago) batteries relace lithium, I think its feasible.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

james03

If I fried my brain on too much coke and LSD and somehow decided to live in a big leftist city, I'd get an EV with some stipulations:

1.  An overnight charge should give me enough juice to get to work and back, stop off for some chores, and have a little extra left over.

2.  I get a big tax credit so taxpayers pay for a big chunk of my car.

3.  It would be small, so parking is easy.

As a real solution, i.e. replacing reliable and cheap gasoline cars especially WITHOUT taxpayer subsidies, it's a joke.  But there's a niche opportunity for take the sheeples money and come out ahead.  Solar is another way to harvest sheeple money, and is a good way to replace depreciating fiat bucks with assets.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Bonaventure

I live on the outskirts of a Left Coast metro, in a burb.

I do think that it is a fleecing for Normie Conformies.

Young men buy them thinking it will help them get laid.

Unless folks have a garage, they have to drive to a place to charge. Nobody leaves the stupid card out because a degenerate will steal or vandalize it.

The subsidies which float these shit cars don't even make much of a dent.

I get people who have to commute on I-80 and do it for the HOV lane.

Other than that, as I said, it's a fetish for eco nuts or Elon fanboys.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

This is another great vid:

Note that "petrolheads" (as you chaps across the pond call them) usually aren't ZeroHedge reading "conspiracy theorists," but the type of folk that +W has condemned as "living for your motorcar."

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 28, 2023, 08:43:53 AMUtterly unworkable from a power grid standpoint.  The grid does not have the capacity or ability to deliver EV charging power to each home, much less 10% of the homes.  The costs will skyrocket (to upgrade the infrastructure) and then the power plants would need to be ramped up to account for the demand.  But wait, we're shutting down power plants?...

If you want an EV, you need to have solar panels installed on your roof. You'll have excess electricity!

::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Melkor

A v8 on true duals sounds better than anything this side of heaven. Plus, teslas are gay 🤣

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Melkor on August 28, 2023, 05:40:20 PMA v8 on true duals sounds better than anything this side of heaven.

Incorrect. The GE90 sounds better than anything this side of Heaven

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Melkor

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 28, 2023, 05:57:39 PMIncorrect. The GE90 sounds better than anything this side of Heaven

That thing is basically a hot rod.

I can't decide whether I prefer the 777's drag start or the A380's "Do you have any Grey Poupon" takeoff rolls.
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on August 29, 2023, 06:59:57 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 28, 2023, 05:57:39 PMIncorrect. The GE90 sounds better than anything this side of Heaven

That thing is basically a hot rod.

I can't decide whether I prefer the 777's drag start or the A380's "Do you have any Grey Poupon" takeoff rolls.

I HATED the A380 when it first came out....now I am fully enamoured.

Nothing beats the B744 though.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 29, 2023, 07:47:13 AMI HATED the A380 when it first came out....now I am fully enamoured.

Nothing beats the B744 though.

It's really a shame that they can't seem to find a market for it.

With the impending pilot shortage, it seems like a no-brainer to fly larger planes less frequently.
this page left intentionally blank