Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on December 18, 2019, 07:56:14 AM
Quote from: Lynne on December 18, 2019, 04:47:17 AM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on December 16, 2019, 02:26:19 PM
Spinach is toxic.

Raw, yes. It's okay when cooked, though?

Boiling spinach, a lot, and discarding the water afterwards, will get rid of some of the toxic oxalates that spinach is loaded with.  So a tiny bit of boiled spinach now and then probably won't cause too much harm.  Of course this depends on how much other high oxalate foods you're eating.  It's the daily accumulation of toxins that eventually poisons.

Many of the foods touted as healthy by governments agencies and medical professionals contain high levels of antinutrients of which oxalates are just one type.  Low oxalate vegetables like cabbage are an alternative, although cabbage is high in goitrogens which attack the thyroid.  So it's swings and roundabouts really.

Sigh... I can see now why some like the carnivore diet...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Lynne on December 25, 2019, 12:32:28 PM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on December 18, 2019, 07:56:14 AM
Quote from: Lynne on December 18, 2019, 04:47:17 AM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on December 16, 2019, 02:26:19 PM
Spinach is toxic.

Raw, yes. It's okay when cooked, though?

Boiling spinach, a lot, and discarding the water afterwards, will get rid of some of the toxic oxalates that spinach is loaded with.  So a tiny bit of boiled spinach now and then probably won't cause too much harm.  Of course this depends on how much other high oxalate foods you're eating.  It's the daily accumulation of toxins that eventually poisons.

Many of the foods touted as healthy by governments agencies and medical professionals contain high levels of antinutrients of which oxalates are just one type.  Low oxalate vegetables like cabbage are an alternative, although cabbage is high in goitrogens which attack the thyroid.  So it's swings and roundabouts really.

Sigh... I can see now why some like the carnivore diet...

This is obviously not really the thread but...spinach is loaded with chlorophyll which is wonderful for your heart. It reduces/eliminates plaque, etc. However, it can contribute to kidney stone formation and it sucks iodine out of your body which can then cause thyroid issues. In order to combat this you can drink a ton of water to safeguard your kidneys, and take iodine supplements. This thing with ALL food, is that it will be good for some things, and not so great for others depending on your body.

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on January 01, 2020, 04:23:49 PM
This is obviously not really the thread but...spinach is loaded with chlorophyll which is wonderful for your heart. It reduces/eliminates plaque, etc. However, it can contribute to kidney stone formation and it sucks iodine out of your body which can then cause thyroid issues. In order to combat this you can drink a ton of water to safeguard your kidneys, and take iodine supplements. This thing with ALL food, is that it will be good for some things, and not so great for others depending on your body.

It isn't, but I can't resist adding to the thread that isn't the thread, given the damage that high oxalate foods like spinach can cause.  Besides, all green vegetables contain chlorophyll and some are low in oxalates.

It's the oxalic acid in spinach and the oxalates it forms which are so damaging to the body.  Spinach is particularly high in these toxins and a serving of raw spinach contains 750 mg of oxalates which is phenomenally high.  Beet greens are almost as bad as are almonds, raspberries and lots of other 'healthy foods'.

Oxalic acid doesn't just rob the body of iodine.  Plants contain oxalic acid because it binds so readily to minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, zinc etc and pulls them out of the soil forming oxalates which the plant stores as nutrients. So when you eat spinach, the oxalic acid literally pulls these minerals out of your body and forms oxalates.  Calcium oxalate is the big baddie here because it forms insoluble crystals which the body has to get rid of via the kidneys.  If your intake of high oxalate food is too much, this can lead to calcium oxalate crystals - hence kidney stones.

But oxalates, particularly calcium oxalate crystals can do far more damage than causing kidney stones.  Too much build up from too many high oxalate foods and the body will store calcium oxalate crystals just about everywhere, in the brain, in the eyes, in the thyroid, in heart muscle, in breast tissue, in the joints, bones and teeth.

My own problems with oxalates were caused through diet, basically.  Train loads of 'healthy' foods even for decades, including lots of spinach and other greens, berries, nuts, wholegrains brought me to my knees earlier this year.  Since April, when I went low oxalate by eliminating such foods from my diet, I've had unbelievable evidence of massive oxalate dumping.

I stopped counting after around 300 hundred, off-white, hard as glass 'bits' came out of my eyes.  That was about a month ago and they're still coming.  According to nutritionist campaigner Sally K Norton, this can happen as calcium oxalate stored in the brain, eyes and sinuses is discharged by the body.  I even had them dropping into my mouth.  I'm assuming they're calcium oxalate crystals and have saved some to have them tested.

Unbelievable?  I would have thought so once.  And I would never have believed that high oxalate foods like spinach actually DEPLETE your body of minerals.  But it seems they do.

Popeye lied.

https://sallyknorton.com/

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Non Nobis

awkwardcustomer, are you advising everyone to stop eating spinach and other foods high in oxalates? For some people there seems to be another side. This article seems to cover your points but doesn't end with the identical conclusion: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oxalate-good-or-bad.

I apologize if I've misunderstood you.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Non Nobis on January 03, 2020, 06:08:16 PM
awkwardcustomer, are you advising everyone to stop eating spinach and other foods high in oxalates? For some people there seems to be another side. This article seems to cover your points but doesn't end with the identical conclusion: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oxalate-good-or-bad.

I apologize if I've misunderstood you.

Yes, unless your Greek friend's mother offers you one of those delicious pies made from feta, spinach and filo pastry and you don't want to be rude. 

The author of the article you linked to, Franziska Spritzler, advocates a low carb diet and is linked to 'Diet Doctor' an organisation which promotes the Keto diet.  As Sally K Norton points out in the above video, the Keto diet contains high oxalate foods.  Since there is so little awareness of the oxalate problem, unless linked to kidney stones, diets like the Keto, Paleo, GAPS, can contain too many high oxalate foods and many of Sally Norton's clients have come to her with oxalate problems after having been on these diets.

But it's not just spinach and the other high oxalate greens like beet greens and Swiss chard that are the problem.  Peanuts and potatoes are high in oxalates so it pays to be careful with peanut butter and fries. Chocolate is high, especially dark chocolate. 

I would advise a low to moderate oxalate diet.  Currently I'm at around 100 mg per day which is moderate, but considering I was consuming around 5-600 mg per day when I wasn't eating spinach or beet greens and over 1000 mg when I was which was often, that's been enough of a reduction to prompt a massive detox of what I believe are calcium oxalate crystals which I must have been LOADED with.

Which nutrients in high oxalate foods cannot be found in low oxalate foods?  And if high oxalate foods were only eaten seasonally, or occasionally, that would give the body time to get rid of any accumulations.  It's the constant daily intake that causes the build-up.

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

christulsa

(edit)  KK, have you been busy?  I know several of us several times have been notifying you about a certain person, trolling the forum instigating daily quarrels against traditional Catholics for their faith, promoting one heretical view after another across the forum, and making a habit of insulting, putting down, vilifying, and tearing down as morons and idiots anyone who disagrees with him, especially faithful Catholics.  He was reported just the other day by I think Mikemac for a bigoted statement against Asians. Are you busy? 

christulsa

More peaceful now, the forum is.   :toth: 

Jayne

I'm thinking it would be good to have some guidelines around how we speak of Fatima.  For some people, it is an important part of their devotion to Our Lady and they have every right to do this since it is an approved apparition.  Other people do not believe which they have a right to do since it is not a dogmatic teaching. 

But the people who question or disbelieve ought to do it in a way that respects the feelings of those who believe.  This is a traditional Catholic forum and we should not have to deal with attacks on our faith here.  We are on the defensive in the world but it should not be that way here.  I know of several people who left or considered leaving the forum because of this issue.

I really am not sure about what specifically these guidelines should be and I hope that people can make suggestions.  Of course, ultimately KK would decide what to implement, if anything, but a public discussion might give him some useful ideas.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Michael Wilson

I believe that we should have a thread for "Conversion Stories"; it doesn't just have to be conversion stories of our members, it could also be of saints or of famous people.
Secondly, a thread where singles could post about themselves and their desire to meet another trad Catholic; that way their post are not lost and forgotten in the "Coffee and Donuts" section.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Francisco Suárez

I'm not sure there is much more you can do to improve it, to be honest. It's roughly the best it could be. The broader problem r.e. traffic is that forums in general are just not as popular as they once were, say a decade ago. Young people of a right-wing persuasion tend to use Reddit, social media, Discord, and imageboards like 4chan these days. There are still a number of us forum loyalists who retain our preference for this format, however, despite the prevailing winds. All us users can probably do is remain friendly and courteous, and keep on keeping on.  :beer:

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Francisco Suárez on May 01, 2020, 01:40:39 PM
The broader problem r.e. traffic is that forums in general are just not as popular as they once were, say a decade ago.

Yes, this is a general trend.

Forums are slowly dying out and there's little one can do about it. Social media has decisively taken over.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

clau clau

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 03, 2020, 01:08:39 PM
The broader problem r.e. traffic is that forums in general are just not as popular as they once were, say a decade ago.

Forums are slowly dying out and there's little one can do about it. Social media has decisively taken over.

More's the pity.  Social Media = Mob Rule.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: clau clau on May 03, 2020, 02:33:49 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 03, 2020, 01:08:39 PM

More's the pity.  Social Media = Mob Rule.

Whereas forums aren't?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Lydia Purpuraria

I think that Kreuzritter's ban should be lifted.