Baking in the Rain?

Started by Deirdre, April 14, 2014, 10:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deirdre

I've been dying to try out a new (hopefully more authentic) pan dulce recipe that I found online, and I was all set to do it today, but it's raining. I've always heard that you shouldn't bake when it's raining, because the moisture in the air will affect rising and make your baked goods come out dense. But then I thought: bakeries don't close up in the rain, so there must be some way to do it!  :P
what do you guys do? Is there any way to compensate for te rain, and help everything turn out okay?
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on April 14, 2014, 10:54:15 AM
I've been dying to try out a new (hopefully more authentic) pan dulce recipe that I found online, and I was all set to do it today, but it's raining. I've always heard that you shouldn't bake when it's raining, because the moisture in the air will affect rising and make your baked goods come out dense. But then I thought: bakeries don't close up in the rain, so there must be some way to do it!  :P
what do you guys do? Is there any way to compensate for te rain, and help everything turn out okay?

What an interesting question! I hope you get a knowledgeable answer...  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

GeorgeT

I bake in the rain all of the time. As far as I know, it doesn't affect my bread at all. If it's not fluffy enough, you can always give it more time to rise. Yeast needs darkness and moisture to do its job. Give it that and you're good.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Deirdre

So, my pan dulce didn't "spring" in the oven, despite doubling during both the first and second rise.  :(  The recipe didn't call for kneading before the second rise, but I'm thinking now that I should have gone ahead and kneaded them anyway. I even proofed the yeast! I also used the "convect" setting on the oven, which made me nervous at the time, but I'm not sure if that's what caused the roblem. What do you guys think?
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on April 25, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
So, my pan dulce didn't "spring" in the oven, despite doubling during both the first and second rise.  :(  The recipe didn't call for kneading before the second rise, but I'm thinking now that I should have gone ahead and kneaded them anyway. I even proofed the yeast! I also used the "convect" setting on the oven, which made me nervous at the time, but I'm not sure if that's what caused the roblem. What do you guys think?

Someone just told me that her bread doesn't rise as well when she uses a convection oven because it heats up too fast. The temperature of the bread has to increase gradually so that the yeast has a chance to work. But convection ovens heat the bread much faster than conventional ovens.