Rational Self Interest Explained

Started by Probius, December 19, 2013, 03:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Right is that which exists properly, according to its nature.  Wrong is that which rebels and causes chaos and disorder.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Probius

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
Right is that which exists properly, according to its nature.  Wrong is that which rebels and causes chaos and disorder.

Maybe you can shed light on something I don't quite understand.  If something is against human nature, I can see how that might lead away from happiness.  But, why is there a need to call it a sin and add punishment in the afterlife?  It seems that if something leads away from happiness, then that is the punishment in itself and there is no need to add to it.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

LouisIX

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 09:15:48 PM

Maybe you can shed light on something I don't quite understand.  If something is against human nature, I can see how that might lead away from happiness.  But, why is there a need to call it a sin and add punishment in the afterlife?  It seems that if something leads away from happiness, then that is the punishment in itself and there is no need to add to it.

It's not added to it.  Man's nature is both corporeal and spiritual, thus the effects of hurting our nature are both spiritual and material.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Probius

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 09:31:25 PM

It's not added to it.  Man's nature is both corporeal and spiritual, thus the effects of hurting our nature are both spiritual and material.

So, the spiritual punishment is not something external, but rather inherent in the act?
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

LouisIX

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 09:53:51 PM

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 09:31:25 PM

So, the spiritual punishment is not something external, but rather inherent in the act?

At the risk of over-simplifying, yes.

Probius

Okay, I understand what you're saying then.  But, this still can't be proven.  We can't prove that a soul exists, and we can't prove that an action deemed sinful by The Church does in fact hurt the soul.  This is all speculation.