The reality of Hell - Voris brings his A game today.

Started by Parresia, November 01, 2013, 05:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parresia

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVV5H2_JC7k[/yt]

Voris has been doing Vortex episodes on this topic for some time now (actually this is three days in a row, and there were some before that as well), but in my view this might be his strongest one.  It is the one where I feel he has laid his argument out the best and in the most systematic way.  Furthermore, he ties things to the liturgy, and makes a statement about the integration of theology. 

Very solid effort Michael.  Good job. 

Parresia

Parresia

Parresia

ResRev

I like Ralph Martin. He's so unassuming, but he drops (some of) the big bombs and then smiles and stutters a little through his very astute opinion and everybody smiles back and nods their head in agreement. How does he do that? :lol: I don't think many people argue with him, at least that I have seen.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Parresia

Quote from: ResRev on November 05, 2013, 12:14:04 PM
I like Ralph Martin. He's so unassuming, but he drops (some of) the big bombs and then smiles and stutters a little through his very astute opinion and everybody smiles back and nods their head in agreement. How does he do that? :lol: I don't think many people argue with him, at least that I have seen.

I like him also.  I have found him quite helpful in understanding this particular doctrine.  Plus, he is very hard for people to label as some "rad/mad trad". 

Parresia

http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/even-more-on-hell-population-zero/#comment-15090

More commentary.  Its a very interesting post and underscores the struggle in teaching this doctrine correctly.  Go check out almost any EENS discussion on CAF for an example of how prevalent this argument: "you're placing limits on God's mercy, etc...", is.  In fact, the statements are so similar to what I and others experienced there that I would not be completely shocked if one particular poster from CAF was the exact same person who e-mailed this blogger.  I have no direct knowledge of that, but it would not surprise me in the slightest. 

Parresia

Parresia

http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/2013/11/spe-salvi-and-universal-salvation.html

More commentary.  Fr. Barron is taking it on the chin lately on this topic, and from a variety of sources (eminent theologians such as Fr. White, OP, not just guys like Voris or some dude with a blog).  At some point, Fr. Barron is going to have to stand up and address this issue, or recant his position on the subject. 

Parresia

Voris discusses the roots of the New Theology and the chaos that ensued.   

Parresia

Voris discusses were Von Balthasar got his ideas and the Protestant roots of the "reasonable hope that all might be saved" idea. 

james03

He's getting closer and closer.  Just couldn't quite get to talking about JPII's views on hell.  Give him another year or two.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

ReadyJoan

I just talked to Fr. Barron today on youtube on his video about Hell.  He is not backing down on it at all.  I gave him the unamsanctam article too.  Don't know if he will read it or not. 

I don't understand why he thinks he is correct.  He just keeps citing recent theologians, a couple fathers of the Church who were corrected by the council, and protestants like CS Lewis.  That's all he's got on his side. 

People tell him on there that the Saints and Doctors of the Church are against his position but he just brushes it off.  I don't understand why he thinks it will help people to tell them maybe nobody is in hell. 

Kaesekopf

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 23, 2013, 11:25:17 PM
I just talked to Fr. Barron today on youtube on his video about Hell.  He is not backing down on it at all.  I gave him the unamsanctam article too.  Don't know if he will read it or not. 

I don't understand why he thinks he is correct.  He just keeps citing recent theologians, a couple fathers of the Church who were corrected by the council, and protestants like CS Lewis.  That's all he's got on his side. 

People tell him on there that the Saints and Doctors of the Church are against his position but he just brushes it off.  I don't understand why he thinks it will help people to tell them maybe nobody is in hell.

Pride.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Parresia

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 23, 2013, 11:25:17 PM

I have experienced the same thing with Fr. Barron.  We went back and forth a few times on YouTube as well.  The only way he will recant is if he is forced to by his bishop.