What are you doing for Advent?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 04, 2023, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

The First Sunday of Advent has come and gone.  What are some of your Advent practices?  Prayer, cultural, whatever related to the Catholic life.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

drummerboy

Not enough unfortunately.  I think most Catholics forget to make a battle plan for Advent like they do for Lent.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

With all of our grumping at people who celebrate Christmas during Advent, we don't have time for much.
this page left intentionally blank

Melkor

Quote from: drummerboy on December 05, 2023, 10:31:44 AMNot enough unfortunately.  I think most Catholics forget to make a battle plan for Advent like they do for Lent.

I gotta say that relates with me a lot. I usually don't do near half as much for Advent as for Lent.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Acolyte

I'll be working on humility, inspired by reading St Alphonsus' The Incarnation, Birth, and Infancy of Jesus Christ

Same routine as previous years. Perhaps I'll read the entire book this time.

I'm also going to try some penitential practices.

Eta : I just realized ~ 300 of the 462 pages are various meditations that follow the main catechesis. I'll surely finish it this time.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

LausTibiChriste

Off the booze for it is me penance. At least one extra Mass a week...I have 12 days off coming up, so I'll take my eldest to Divine Liturgy every evening.

For prayer, going to say at least Vespers and Compline of the Office of Our Lady every day and I have the meditations by Bousset that I'll try reading every day.

Considering how lazy I am though, I don't have high hopes.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

maryslittlegarden

Reading St Frances De Sales during advent.  Also trying to listen to a sermon before I go to work.  So far so good..... but it's early yet. :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace