Free IQ Test: How much do you score?

Started by Xavier, September 24, 2018, 02:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: mikemac on October 06, 2018, 03:18:19 PM
It looks like everyone is smarter than the folks that were bragging about how smart they are a couple of weeks ago.  :)

Just wait til I make a fishing thread.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Graham

Quote from: Heinrich on October 06, 2018, 01:03:18 PM
Quote from: Graham on October 03, 2018, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on September 27, 2018, 08:19:48 AM
I have not looked into this too much lately, but a 140 is clearly the doctor, lawyer, legitimate Ph.D* average. While there are those who accomplish these intellectual and herculean academic tasks with a <140, they are outside the norm. Chemical engineers, physics and math professors, etc. are in the 150 - 160 range.

140 as an average doctor, lawyer, or PhD IQ is assuredly a substantial overestimate. 120, maybe 125

I disagree. An ~120 is where I am. I floundered and fluttered agonizingly through higher maths and sciences and logic while my peers flowed like a peaceful stream. This is Jordon Peterson's area of expertise and I have listened to his non political talks, i.e. ones dealing with actual psychology and fluid intelligence. This added also to my experiences both random and professional. I don't really have the gumption to scrutinize this anymore, but cite some peer reviewed stuff and I'll gander.

Perhaps you just lack the specific aptitude for those subjects. You can review some of the IQ research here. http://miyaguchi.4sigma.org/gradytowers/emptypromise.html .

Sen

The problem with the IQ averages of different professions is that in fields like math and physics, there is little to no affirmative action; only the best are accepted to pursue PhD studies. In fields like medicine, which at baseline require less brain cells but more sheer willpower, affirmative action surely skews the IQ averages down. Many radiologists, radiation oncologists, etc., have math, engineering, physics undergraduate degrees and could have pursued a PhD if they wanted to. Which isn't to say that on average physicians would be on the same IQ level as physics professors, just that the averages may be skewed due to confounding factors.

Maximilian

Quote from: Sen on October 06, 2018, 10:02:41 PM
The problem with the IQ averages of different professions is that in fields like math and physics, there is little to no affirmative action; only the best are accepted to pursue PhD studies.

I'm not sure that's true any more. With the enormous propaganda push to promote women in STEM, it seems unlikely that any reasonably intelligent woman who wants to pursue math or physics will be turned down.

In fields like medicine, which at baseline require less brain cells but more sheer willpower, affirmative action surely skews the IQ averages down.

I don't see that happening, and where do you get your "surely"? Medical school is still tremendously demanding, both in its entrance requirements, and in its academic and physical demands.

Sen

Quote from: Maximilian on October 06, 2018, 11:10:13 PM
The problem with the IQ averages of different professions is that in fields like math and physics, there is little to no affirmative action; only the best are accepted to pursue PhD studies.

I'm not sure that's true any more. With the enormous propaganda push to promote women in STEM, it seems unlikely that any reasonably intelligent woman who wants to pursue math or physics will be turned down.

You may be correct. However, in my observation, white and Asian men still predominate math/physics graduate studies. You can scroll through the pages of several math PhD programs and not see a single non-white/non-Asian. Not true for medical schools.

Quote from: Maximilian on October 06, 2018, 11:10:13 PM

In fields like medicine, which at baseline require less brain cells but more sheer willpower, affirmative action surely skews the IQ averages down.

I don't see that happening, and where do you get your "surely"? Medical school is still tremendously demanding, both in its entrance requirements, and in its academic and physical demands.

You don't see what happening? I don't dispute what you're saying. Medical school is undoubtedly competitive to get into, definitely more competitive on average than math/physics graduate school. But the competitiveness is due more to demand (#applicants per spot) than actual academic rigor. The content of medical school is not as difficult as even undergraduate math or physics. It simply requires sheer willpower due to the vast amount of content one must memorize and the hours one must work. Therefore, medical schools can get away with affirmative action (not choosing applicants based on GPA/coursework/MCAT/research alone) because you only need a certain baseline IQ to do well, the rest is up to hard work. Whereas, in my opinion, you need a higher IQ to do well at the math/physics graduate level, since there is more of an emphasis on making novel discoveries and pumping out research papers in high-ranking journals in order to contribute to the field.

I wasn't trying to imply that physicians were not intelligent. On the contrary, I meant to say that if there wasn't affirmative action and medical students were chosen based on MCAT scores alone, physician IQ averages would be higher than they currently are.

Graham

Quote from: Sen on October 07, 2018, 12:03:06 AM
I wasn't trying to imply that physicians were not intelligent. On the contrary, I meant to say that if there wasn't affirmative action and medical students were chosen based on MCAT scores alone, physician IQ averages would be higher than they currently are.

I concur. Note that the research I posted is pre-AA, and found averages for many PhDs and Professionals to be hovering around 125-130, which is between what Heinrich and I estimated. I think that with AA the standards for these professions fell and more up to date research would show that 120-125 is close to the mark.

Daniel

One problem with this particular online test is that several of the questions test for knowledge rather than reasoning skills.

Examples:

QuoteWhich number should come next in the series? 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13
While you can come up with the answer through reasoning, most of us will instantly notice that these are Fibonacci numbers, and most of us already know how to compute Fibonacci numbers. No reasoning needed... just add 8 and 13 and that's your answer. (If you did not know the formula already, and if you did try to arrive at the answer through reasoning, most likely you'd spend more time on this question than most people. Which is bad, since this is a timed test...)

QuoteChoose the word most similar to "Trustworthy":
Resolute
Tenacity
Relevant
Insolent
Reliable
No matter how intelligent you are, this question is unanswerable if you don't have good vocabulary.

QuoteIf you rearrange the letters "LNGEDNA" you have the name of a(n):
Animal
Country
State
City
Ocean
I personally got this one wrong, and even after seeing the answer key I still don't know which country it spells out. Maybe it simply isn't coming to me at the moment, though it's possible that it's some country I've never even heard of...
edit - Oh, wait, I just figured it out... it's England. Still, the fact that the answer wasn't coming to me while I was taking the test doesn't mean that I lack the ability to solve simple anagram puzzles.

Padraig

[Replied before I read the edit on Daniel's post.]