The prayers taught by Our Lord Jesus to St. Bridget: Precious Blood,Holy Wounds.

Started by Xavier, July 29, 2018, 01:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

The Savior taught 15 wonderful prayers to St. Bridget which honor and worship all the Wounds He received on His Holy Body. These were approved by Pope Pius IX. https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/st-bridget-sweden-devotion-jesus-wounds/

Quote"Out of her special love for Christ's Passion, which she had since childhood, St. Bridget sincerely wanted to know how many times the body of Our Lord was struck during the various scenes of his Passion. She repeatedly prayed about this so that she could honor each one of them.

One day Jesus answered her longing and told her,

"I received 5480 blows upon My Body. If you wish to honor them in some way, recite fifteen Our Fathers and fifteen Hail Marys with the following Prayers, which I Myself shall teach you, for an entire year. When the year is finished, you will have honored each of My Wounds."

Jesus then gave St. Bridget 15 prayers to pray every day for a full year, which she would recite along with an Our Father and a Hail Mary for each. Totaled up, these prayers would equal 5475 (this could be understood as all the wounds other than the Five Wounds in his hands, feet, and side, which are more commonly honored separately).

This became known as the Holy Wounds of Jesus devotion (not to be confused with the Five Wounds of Jesus Devotion in his hands, feet, and side). It is also called the Fifteen Prayers of St. Bridget, or the Pieta Prayers, or the Magnificent Prayers.

St. Bridget lived her final years in Rome with her daughter St. Catherine of Sweden, having traveled there to obtain papal approval for her Order. These 15 prayers were given to her as she was praying before a crucifix inside the Church of St. Paul in Rome. After her death, her daughter Catherine brought her body back to Sweden for burial and assumed leadership of the newly approved Order.

Our Lord Jesus made these promises to anyone who recited/prayed these 15 Prayers for one whole year:

1. I will deliver 15 of his lineage from Purgatory.
2. 15 Souls of his lineage will be confirmed and preserved in grace.
3. 15 Sinners of his lineage will be converted.
4. Whoever prays these Prayers will attain the 1st degree of perfection.
5. 15 Days before his death, I will give him My Precious Body in order that he may escape eternal starvation; I will give him My Precious Blood to drink lest he thirst eternally.
6. 15 Days before his death, he will feel a deep contrition for all his sins and will have a perfect knowledge of them.
7. I will place before him the sign of My Victorious Cross for his help and defense against the attacks of his enemies.
8. Before his death, I shall come with My Dearest Beloved Mother.
9. I shall graciously receive his soul, and will lead it into eternal joys.
10. And having led it there, I shall give him a special draught from the fountain of My Deity, something I will not do for those who have not recited My Prayers.
11. Let it be known that whoever may have been living in a state of mortal sin for 30 years, but who will recite devoutly, or have the intention to recite these Prayers, Our Lord will forgive him all his sins.
12. I shall protect him from strong temptations.
13. I shall preserve and guard his 5 senses.
14. I shall preserve him from a sudden death.
15. His soul will be delivered from eternal death.
16. He will obtain all he asks for from God and the Blessed Virgin.
17. If he has lived all his life doing his own will and he is to die the next day, his life will be prolonged.
18. Every time one recites these Prayers he gains 100 days indulgence.
19. He is assured of being joined to the supreme Choir of Angels.
20. Whoever teaches these Prayers to another, will have continuous joy and merit which will endure eternally.
21. Where these Prayers are being or will be said in the future God is present with His grace.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Xavier

The St. Bridget 1-Year Prayers

The 15 Prayers revealed by Our Lord to St. Bridget in the Church of St. Paul at Rome, approved by Pope Pius IX.

These prayers can serve as the Way of the Cross, if we are unable to make the latter.

First Prayer:

Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, then:

O Jesus Christ! Eternal Sweetness to those who love Thee, joy surpassing all joy and all desire, Salvation and Hope of all sinners, Who hast proved that Thou hast no greater desire than to be among men, even assuming human nature at the fullness of time for the love of men, recall all the sufferings Thou has endured from the instant of Thy conception, and especially during Thy Passion, as it was decreed and ordained from all eternity in the Divine Plan.

Remember, O Lord, that during the Last Supper with Thy disciples, having washed their feet, Thou gavest them Thy Most Precious Body and Blood, and while at the same time Thou didst sweetly console them, Thou didst foretell them Thy coming Passion.

Remember the sadness and bitterness which Thou didst experience in Thy Soul as Thou Thyself bore witness saying, "My Soul is sorrowful, even unto death."

Remember all the fear, anguish and pain that Thou didst suffer in Thy delicate Body before the torment of the Crucifixion, when, after having prayed three times, bathed in a sweat of blood, Thou wast betrayed by Judas, Thy disciple, arrested by the people of a nation Thou hadst chosen and elevated, accused by false witnesses, unjustly judged by three judges during the flower of Thy youth and during the solemn Paschal season.

Remember that Thou wast despoiled of Thy garments and clothed in those of derision; that Thy Face and Eyes were veiled, that Thou wast buffeted, crowned with thorns, a reed placed in Thy Hands, that Thou was crushed with blows and overwhelmed with affronts and outrages.

In memory of all these pains and sufferings which Thou didst endure before Thy Passion on the Cross, grant me before my death true contrition, a sincere and entire confession, worthy satisfaction and the remission of all my sins. Amen.

2nd Prayer:

O Jesus! True liberty of angels, Paradise of delights, remember the horror and sadness which Thou didst endure when Thy enemies, like furious lions, surrounded Thee, and by thousands of insults, spits, blows, lacerations and other unheard of cruelties, tormented Thee at will. In consideration of these torments and insulting words, I beseech Thee, O My Saviour, to deliver me from all my enemies, visible and invisible, and to bring me, under Thy protection, to the perfection of eternal salvation. Amen.

3rd Prayer:

O Jesus! Creator of Heaven and earth Whom nothing can encompass or limit, Thou Who dost enfold and hold all under Thy Loving Power, remember the very bitter pain Thou didst suffer when the Jews nailed Thy Sacred Hands and Feet to the Cross by blow after blow with big blunt nails, and not finding Thee in a pitiable enough state to satisfy their rage, they enlarged Thy Wounds, and added pain to pain, and with indescribable cruelty stretched Thy Body on the Cross, pulled Thee from all sides, thus dislocating Thy Limbs.

I beg of Thee, O Jesus, by the memory of this most Loving suffering of the Cross, to grant me the grace to fear Thee and to love Thee. Amen.

4th Prayer:

O Jesus! Heavenly Physician, raised aloft on the Cross to heal our wounds with Thine, remember the bruises which Thou didst suffer and the weakness of all Thy Members which were distended to such a degree that never was there pain like unto Thine. From the Crown of Thy Head to the Soles of Thy Feet there was not one spot on Thy Body that was not in torment, and yet, forgetting all Thy sufferings, Thou didst not cease to pray to Thy Heavenly Father for Thy enemies, saying: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Through this great Mercy, and in memory of this suffering, grant that the remembrance of Thy Most Bitter Passion may effect in us a perfect contrition and the remission of all our sins. Amen.

5th Prayer:

O Jesus! Mirror of Eternal Splendor, remember the sadness which Thou experienced, when contemplating in the light of Thy Divinity the predestination of those who would be saved by the merits of Thy Sacred Passion, Thou didst see at the same time, the great multitude of reprobates who would be damned for their sins, and Thou didst complain bitterly of those hopelessly lost and unfortunate sinners.

Through this abyss of compassion and pity, and especially through the goodness which Thou displayed to the good thief when Thou saidst to him: "This day, thou shalt be with Me in Paradise," I beg of Thee, O Sweet Jesus, that at the hour of my death, Thou wilt show me mercy. Amen.

6th Prayer:

O Jesus! Beloved and most desirable King, remember the grief Thou didst suffer, when naked and like a common criminal, Thou was fastened and raised on the Cross, when all Thy relatives and friends abandoned Thee, except Thy Beloved Mother, who remained close to Thee during Thy agony and whom Thou didst entrust to Thy faithful disciple when Thou saidst to Mary: "Woman, behold thy son!" and to St. John: "Son, behold thy Mother!"

I beg of Thee, O My Saviour, by the sword of sorrow which pierced the soul of Thy holy Mother, to have compassion on me in all my affliction and tribulations, both corporal and spiritual, and to assist me in all my trials, and especially at the hour of my death. Amen.

7th Prayer:

O Jesus! Inexhaustible Fountain of compassion, Who by a profound gesture of Love, said from the Cross: "I thirst!" suffered from the thirst for the salvation of the human race. I beg of Thee, O My Saviour, to inflame in our hearts the desire to tend toward perfection in all our acts; and to extinguish in us the concupiscence of the flesh and the ardor of worldly desires. Amen.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Xavier

8th Prayer:

O Jesus! Sweetness of hearts, delight of the spirit, by the bitterness of the vinegar and gall which Thou didst taste on the Cross for Love of us, grant us the grace to receive worthily Thy Precious Body and Blood during our life and at the hour of our death, that They may serve as a remedy and consolation for our souls. Amen.

9th Prayer:

O Jesus! Royal virtue, joy of the mind, recall the pain Thou didst endure when, plunged in an ocean of bitterness at the approach of death, insulted, outraged by the Jews, Thou didst cry out in a loud voice that Thou was abandoned by Thy Father, saying: "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

Through this anguish, I beg of Thee, O My Saviour, not to abandon me in the terrors and pains of my death. Amen.

10th Prayer:

O Jesus! Who art the beginning and the end of all things, life, and virtue, remember that for our sakes Thou was plunged in an abyss of suffering from the soles of Thy Feet to the Crown of Thy Head. In consideration of the enormity of Thy Wounds, teach me to keep, through pure love, Thy commandments, whose way is wide and easy for those who love Thee. Amen.

11th Prayer:

O Jesus! Deep abyss of mercy, I beg of Thee, in memory of Thy Wounds which penetrated to the very marrow of Thy Bones and to the depth of Thy Being, to draw me, a miserable sinner, overwhelmed by my offenses, away from sin and to hide me from Thy Face justly irritated against me, hide me in Thy Wounds, until Thy anger and just indignation shall have passed away. Amen.

12th Prayer:

O Jesus! Mirror of Truth, symbol of unity, link of charity, remember the multitude of wounds with which Thou was covered from Head to Foot, torn and reddened by the spilling of Thy Adorable Blood. O Great and Universal Pain which Thou didst suffer in Thy virginal Flesh for love of us! Sweetest Jesus! What is there that Thou couldst have done for us which Thou hast not done! May the fruit of Thy sufferings be renewed in my soul by the faithful remembrance of Thy Passion, and may Thy Love increase in my heart each day, until I see Thee in eternity, Thou Who art the treasury of every real good and every joy, which I beg Thee to grant me, O Sweetest Jesus, in Heaven. Amen.

13th Prayer:

O Jesus! Strong Lion, Immortal and Invincible King, remember the pain which Thou didst endure when all Thy strength, both moral and physical, was entirely exhausted, Thou didst bow Thy Head, saying: "It is consummated!" Through this anguish and grief, I beg of Thee, Lord Jesus, to have mercy on me at the hour of my death when my mind will be greatly troubled and my soul will be in anguish. Amen.

14th Prayer:

O Jesus! Only Son of the Father, Splendor and Figure of His Substance, remember the simple and humble recommendation Thou didst make of Thy Soul to Thy Eternal Father, saying: "Father, into Thy Hands I commend My Spirit!" And with Thy Body all torn, and Thy Heart broken, and the bowels of Thy Mercy opened to redeem us, Thou didst expire. By this Precious Death, I beg of Thee, O King of Saints, comfort me and help me to resist the devil, the flesh and the world, so that being dead to the world I may live for Thee alone. I beg of Thee at the hour of my death to receive me, a pilgrim and an exile returning to Thee. Amen.

15th Prayer:

O Jesus! True and Fruitful Vine! Remember the abundant outpouring of Blood which Thou didst so generously shed from Thy Sacred Body as juice from grapes in a wine press.

From Thy Side, pierced with a lance by a soldier, Blood and water issued forth until there was not left in Thy Body a single drop, and finally, like a bundle of myrrh lifted to the top of the Cross, Thy delicate Flesh was destroyed, the very Substance of Thy Body withered, and the Marrow of Thy Bones dried up.

Through this bitter Passion and through the outpouring of Thy Precious Blood, I beg of Thee, O Sweet Jesus, to receive my soul when I am in my death agony. Amen.

Conclusion:

O Sweet Jesus! Pierce my heart so that my tears of penitence and love will be my bread day and night; may I be converted entirely to Thee, may my heart be Thy perpetual habitation, may my conversation be pleasing to Thee, and may the end of my life be so praiseworthy that I may merit Heaven and there with Thy saints, praise Thee forever. Amen.

Xavier

By saying these prayers many times, we can save 100s of souls of our relatives and friends; the Lord also taught St. Bridget 7 short Precious Blood Prayers to be offered to His eternal Father. For these, the Lord God gave the indulgence of 5 special promises, including being accounted a Martyr and suffering no Purgatory upon death. That is beside the possibility of saving many other souls by this simple means.

"The St. Bridget 12-Year Prayers

Prayers Honoring the 7 Times Jesus Spilled His Precious Blood for Us, as Revealed by Our Lady to St. Bridget, and Approved by Pope Clement XII.

O Jesus, now I wish to pray the Lord's Prayer seven times in unity with the love with which You sanctified this prayer in Your Heart. Take it from my lips into Your Divine Heart. Improve and complete it so much that it brings as much honor and joy to the Trinity as You granted it on earth with this prayer. May these pour upon Your Holy Humanity in Glorification to Your Painful Wounds and the Precious Blood that You spilled from them.

First Prayer: The Circumcision

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You the first wounds, the first pains, and the first Bloodshed as atonement for my and all of humanity's sins of youth, as protection against the first mortal sin, especially among my relatives.

Second Prayer: The Suffering on the Mount of Olives

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You the terrifying suffering of Jesus' Heart on the Mount of Olives and every drop of His Bloody Sweat as atonement for my and all of humanity's sins of the heart, as protection against such sins and for the spreading of Divine and brotherly Love.

Third Prayer: The Flogging

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You the many thousands of Wounds, the gruesome Pains, and the Precious Blood of the Flogging as atonement for my and all of humanity's sins of the Flesh, as protection against such sins and the preservation of innocence, especially among my relatives.

Fourth Prayer: The Crowning of Thorns

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You the Wounds, the Pains, and the Precious Blood of Jesus' Holy Head from the Crowning with Thorns as atonement for my and all of humanity's sins of the Spirit, as protection against such sins and the spreading of Christ's kingdom here on earth.

Fifth Prayer: The Carrying of the Cross

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You the Sufferings on the way of the Cross, especially His Holy Wound on His Shoulder and its Precious Blood as atonement for my and all of humanity's rebellion against the Cross, every grumbling against Your Holy Arrangements and all other sins of the tongue, as protection against such sins and for true love of the Cross.

Sixth Prayer: The Crucifixion

Eternal Father, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You Your Son on the Cross, His Nailing and Raising, His Wounds on the Hands and Feet and the three streams of His Precious Blood that poured forth from these for us, His extreme tortures of the Body and Soul, His precious Death and its non-bleeding Renewal in all Holy Masses on earth as atonement for all wounds against vows and regulations within the Orders, as reparation for my and all of the world's sins, for the sick and the dying, for all holy Priests and laymen, for the Holy Father's intentions toward the restoration of Christian families, for the strengthening of Faith, for our country and unity among all nations in Christ and His Church, as well as for the Diaspora.

Seventh Prayer: The Piercing of Jesus' Side

Eternal Father, accept as worthy, for the needs of the Holy Church and as atonement for the sins of all Mankind, the Precious Blood and Water which poured forth from the Wound of Jesus' Divine Heart. Be gracious and merciful toward us. Blood of Christ, the last precious content of His Holy Heart, wash me of all my and others' guilt of sin! Water from the Side of Christ, wash me clean of all punishments for sin and extinguish the flames of Purgatory for me and for all the Poor Souls. Amen.

---

Promises for the St. Bridget 12-Year Prayers

Our Lord made these promises to anyone who recited/prayed these Prayers for 12 entire years**:

1. The soul who prays them will suffer no Purgatory.
2. The soul who prays them will be accepted among the Martyrs as though he had spilled his blood for his Faith.
3. The soul who prays them can choose three others whom Jesus will then keep in a state of grace sufficient to become holy.
4. No one in the four successive generations of the soul who prays them will be lost.
5. The soul who prays them will be made conscious of his death one month in advance.

** If the soul praying these prayers dies before the entire 12 years of prayers have been completed, the Lord will accept them as having been prayed in their entirety, because the intention of the soul was to complete them as directed.

If a day or a few days are missed due to a valid reason, they can be made up for later, at the soul's earliest opportunity.

Xavier

Just as we glorify Jesus the most when we honor Mary the best, so we most compassionate the dolors of Mary and help to relieve the swords piercing Her Heart when we accompany Christ on the Way of the Cross and try in some small measure to console Jesus and Mary by our love.

Let us start to think about gaining indulgences for ourselves and for the holy souls as well. The Way of the Cross is a heavily indulgenced devotion. "A Plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who make the pious exercise of the Way of the Cross. Those who are impeded can gain the same indulgence if they spend at least one half an hour in pious reading and meditation on the Passion and Death of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, no. 63)

The Stations of St. Alphonsus Ligouri.

Stations of the Cross

by St. Alphonsus Ligouri

Preparatory Prayer

ALL: My Lord, Jesus Christ, / You have made this journey to die for me with unspeakable love; / and I have so many times ungratefully abandoned You. / But now I love You with all my heart; / and, because I love You, I am sincerely sorry for ever having offended You. / Pardon me, my God, and permit me to accompany You on this journey. / You go to die for love of me; / I want, my beloved Redeemer, to die for love of You. / My Jesus, I will live and die always united to You.

At the cross her station keeping

Stood the mournful Mother weeping

Close to Jesus to the last

The First Station:

Pilate Condemns Jesus to Die

V: We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You. (Genuflect)

R: Because, by Your holy cross, You have redeemed the world. (Rise)

V: Consider how Jesus Christ, after being scourged and crowned with thorns, was unjustly condemned by Pilate to die on the cross. (Kneel)

R: My adorable Jesus, / it was not Pilate; / no, it was my sins that condemned You to die. / I beseech You, by the merits of this sorrowful journey, / to assist my soul on its journey to eternity./ I love You, beloved Jesus; / I love You more than I love myself. / With all my heart I repent of ever having offended You. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Our Father..., Hail Mary..., Glory be...

Through her heart, His sorrow sharing
All His bitter anguish bearing
Now at length the sword has passed

The Second Station:

Jesus Accepts His Cross

V: Consider Jesus as He walked this road with the cross on His shoulders, thinking of us, and offering to His Father in our behalf, the death He was about to suffer. (Kneel)

R: My most beloved Jesus, / I embrace all the sufferings You have destined for me until death. / I beg You, by all You suffered in carrying Your cross, / to help me carry mine with Your perfect peace and resignation. / I love You, Jesus, my love; / I repent of ever having offended You. / Never let me separate myself from You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

O, how sad and sore depressed
Was that Mother highly blessed
Of the sole Begotten One

The Third Station:

Jesus Falls the First Time

V: Consider the first fall of Jesus. Loss of blood from the scourging and crowing with thorns had so weakened Him that He could hardly walk; and yet He had to carry that great load upon His shoulders. As the soldiers struck Him cruelly, He fell several times under the heavy cross. (Kneel)

R: My beloved Jesus, / it was not the weight of the cross / but the weight of my sins which made You suffer so much. / By the merits of this first fall, / save me from falling into mortal sin. / I love You, O my Jesus, with all my heart; / I am sorry that I have offended You. / May I never offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Christ above in torment hangs
She beneath beholds the pangs
Of her dying, glorious Son

The Fourth Station:

Jesus Meets His Afflicted Mother

V: Consider how the Son met his Mother on His way to Calvary. Jesus and Mary gazed at each other and their looks became as so many arrows to wound those hearts which loved each other so tenderly (Kneel)

R: My most loving Jesus, / by the pain You suffered in this meeting / grant me the grace of being truly devoted to Your most holy Mother. / And You, my Queen, who was overwhelmed with sorrow, / obtain for me by Your prayers / a tender and a lasting remembrance of the passion of Your divine Son. / I love You, Jesus, my Love, above all things. / I repent of ever having offended You. / Never allow me to offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Is there one who would not weep,
'whelmed in miseries so deep
Christ's dear Mother to behold.

The Fifth Station:

Simon Helps Jesus Carry the Cross

V: Consider how weak and weary Jesus was. At each step He was at the point of expiring. Fearing that He would die on the way when they wished Him to die the infamous death of the cross, they forced Simon of Cyrene to help carry the cross after Our Lord. (Kneel)

R: My beloved Jesus / I will not refuse the cross as Simon did: / I accept it and embrace it. / I accept in particular the death that is destined for me / with all the pains that may accompany it. / I unite it to Your death / and I offer it to You. / You have died for love of me; / I will die for love of You and to please You. / Help me by Your grace. / I love You, Jesus, my Love; / I repent of ever having offended You. / Never let me offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Can the human heart refrain
From partaking in her pain
In that Mother's pain untold?

The Sixth Station:

Veronica Offers Her Veil to Jesus

V: Consider the compassion of the holy woman, Veronica. Seeing Jesus in such distress, His face bathed in sweat and blood, she presented Him with her veil. Jesus wiped His face, and left upon the cloth the image of his sacred countenance. (Kneel)

R: My beloved Jesus, / Your face was beautiful before You began this journey; / but, now, it no longer appears beautiful / and is disfigured with wounds and blood. / Alas, my soul also was once beautiful / when it received Your grace in Baptism; / but I have since disfigured it with my sins. / You alone, my Redeemer, can restore it to its former beauty. / Do this by the merits of Your passion; and then do with me as You will.

Bruised, derided, cursed, defiled

She beheld her tender Child

All with bloody scourges rent.

The Seventh Station:

Jesus Falls the Second Time

V: Consider how the second fall of Jesus under His cross renews the pain in all the wounds of the head and members of our afflicted Lord. (Kneel)

R: My most gentle Jesus, / how many times You have forgiven me; / and how many times I have fallen again and begun again to offend You! / By the merits of this second fall, / give me the grace to persevere in Your love until death. / Grant, that in all my temptations, I may always have recourse to You. / I love You, Jesus, my Love with all my heart; / I am sorry that I have offended You. / Never let me offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

For the sins of His own nation
Saw Him hang in desolation
Till His spirit forth He sent.

The Eighth Station:

Jesus Speaks to the Women

V: Consider how the women wept with compassion seeing Jesus so distressed and dripping with blood as he walked along. Jesus said to them, ``Weep not so much for me, but rather for Your children.'' (Kneel)

R: My Jesus, laden with sorrows, / I weep for the sins which I have committed against You / because of the punishment I deserve for them; / and, still more, because of the displeasure they have caused You / who have loved me with an infinite love. / It is Your love, more than the fear of hell, / which makes me weep for my sins. / My Jesus, I love You more than myself; / I am sorry that I have offended You. / Never allow me to offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

O sweet Mother! Fount of Love,
Touch my spirit from above
Make my heart with yours accord.

The Ninth Station:

Jesus Falls the Third Time

V: Consider how Jesus Christ fell for the third time. He was extremely weak and the cruelty of His executioners was excessive; they tried to hasten His steps though He hardly had strength to move. (Kneel)

R: My outraged Jesus, / by the weakness You suffered in going to Calvary, / give me enough strength to overcome all human respect / and all my evil passions which have led me to despise Your friendship. / I love You, Jesus my Love, with all my heart; / I am sorry for ever having offended You. / Never permit me to offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Make me feel as You have felt
Make my soul to glow and melt
With the love of Christ, my Lord.

The Tenth Station:

Jesus Is Stripped of His Garments

V: Consider how Jesus was violently stripped of His clothes by His executioners. The inner garments adhered to his lacerated flesh and the soldiers tore them off so roughly that the skin came with them. Have pity for your Savior so cruelly treated and tell Him: (Kneel)

R: My innocent Jesus, / by the torment You suffered in being stripped of Your garments, / help me to strip myself of all attachment for the things of earth / that I may place all my love in You who are so worthy of my love. / I love You, O Jesus, with all my heart; / I am sorry for ever having offended You. / Never let me offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Holy Mother, pierce me through
In my heart each wound renew
Of my Savior crucified.

Xavier

The Eleventh Station:

Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross

V: Consider Jesus, thrown down upon the cross, He stretched out His arms and offered to His eternal Father the sacrifice of His life for our salvation. They nailed His hands and feet, and then, raising the cross, left Him to die in anguish. (Kneel)

R: My despised Jesus, / nail my heart to the cross / that it may always remain there to love You and never leave You again. / I love You more than myself; / I am sorry for ever having offended You. / Never permit me to offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Let me share with you His pain,
Who for all our sins was slain,
Who for me in torments died.

The Twelfth Station:

Jesus Dies Upon the Cross

V: Consider how Your Jesus, after three hours of agony on the cross, is finally overwhelmed with suffering and, abandoning Himself to the weight of His body, bows His head and dies. (Kneel)

R: My dying Jesus, / I devoutly kiss the cross on which You would die for love of me. / I deserve, because of my sins, to die a terrible death; / but Your death is my hope. / By the merits of Your death, / give me the grace to die embracing Your feet and burning with love of You. / I yield my soul into Your hands. / I love You with my whole heart. / I am sorry that I have offended You. / Never let me offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Let me mingle tears with thee
Mourning Him who mourned for me,
All the days that I may live.

The Thirteenth Station:

Jesus Is Taken Down from the Cross

V: Consider how, after Our Lord had died, He was taken down from the cross by two of His disciples, Joseph and Nicodemus, and placed in the arms of His afflicted Mother. She received Him with unutterable tenderness and pressed Him close to her bosom. (Kneel)

R: O Mother of Sorrows, / for the love of Your Son, / accept me as Your servant and pray to Him for me, / And You, my Redeemer, since you have died for me, / allow me to love You, / for I desire only You and nothing more. / I love You, Jesus my Love, / and I am sorry that I have offended You. / Never let me offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

By the cross with you to stay
There with you to weep and pray
Is all I ask of you to give.

The Fourteenth Station:

Jesus Is Placed in the Sepulcher

V: Consider how the disciples carried the body of Jesus to its burial, while His holy Mother went with them and arranged it in the sepulcher with her own hands. They then closed the tomb and all departed. (Kneel)

R: Oh, my buried Jesus, / I kiss the stone that closes You in. / But You gloriously did rise again on the third day. / I beg You by Your resurrection that I may be raised gloriously on the last day, / to be united with You in heaven, to praise You and love You forever. / I love You, Jesus, and I repent of ever having offended You. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

Virgin of all virgins blest!
Listen to my fond request:
Let me share your grief divine.

Prayer to Jesus Christ Crucified

My good and dear Jesus, I kneel before You, asking You most earnestly to engrave upon my heart a deep and lively faith, hope, and charity, with true repentance for my sins, and a firm resolve to make amends.

As I reflect upon Your five wounds, and dwell upon them with deep compassion and grief, I recall, good Jesus, the words the Prophet David spoke long ago concerning Yourself:

"They pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones."

For the intentions of the Holy Father:

Promises of the Way of the Cross:

From iPieta: "Brother Estanislao (1903 - 1927)

At the age of 18, a young Spaniard entered the Novitiate of The Brothers of the Christian Schools at Bugedo. He took the Vow of Regularity, Perfection and Pure Love. In October, 1926, he offered himself to Jesus through Mary. Soon after this heroic donation, he felt ill, and was obliged to rest. He died saintly in March 1927. He was, according to the master of novices, a privileged soul, who received Messages from Heaven. Confessors and Theologians recognized these supernatural facts. His Director asked him to write the Promises made by OUR LORD to those who have devotion to THE WAY OF THE CROSS.

They are:

1. I will grant everything that is asked of Me with faith, when making The Way of the Cross.

2. I promise Eternal Life to those who pray from time to time, The Way of the Cross.

3. I will follow them everywhere in life and I will help them, especially at the hour of death.

4. Even if they have more sins than the blades of grass in the fields and the grains of sand in the sea, all of them will be erased by The Way of the Cross. (Note: This promise does not eliminate the obligation to confess all mortal sins, and this, before we can receive Holy Communion.)

5. Those who pray The Way of the Cross often will have a special glory in Heaven.

6. I will deliver them from Purgatory, indeed if they go there at all, the first Tuesday or Friday after their death.

7. I will bless them at each Way of the Cross, and My blessing will follow them everywhere on earth and, after their death, in Heaven for all Eternity.

8. At the hour of death I will not permit the devil to tempt them; I will lift all power from him in order that they will repose tranquilly in My Arms.

9. If they pray it with true love, I will make of each one of them a living Ciborium in which it will please Me to pour My grace.

10. I will fix My Eyes on those who pray The Way of the Cross often; My hands will always be open to protect them.

11. As I am nailed to the Cross, so also will I always be with those who honor Me in making The Way of the Cross frequently.

12. They will never be able to separate themselves from Me, for I will give them the grace never again to commit a Mortal sin.

13. At the hour of death I will console them with My Presence and we will go together to Heaven. Death will be sweet to all those who have honored Me during their lives by praying The Way of the Cross.

14. My soul will be a protective shield for them, and will always help them, whenever they have recourse.

St. Alphonsus Liguori wrote: "If you pray you are positive of saving your soul. If you do NOT pray you are just as positive of losing your soul"

Xavier

The Way of the Cross is among the most powerful spiritual devotions we can make outside of Holy Mass. Lent is especially suited to it. It has Apostolic roots. The 15 prayers taught by Our Lord to St. Bridget can serve for the Way of the Cross. Let us contemplate the fasting and penances, the labors and sorrows undertaken by our Lord Jesus Christ to save the world and save our souls and let us resolve to follow Him as true disciples of the Cross, and co-operate with His works and sufferings, by bearing our daily crosses well, and by praying the Way of the Cross this Lent. Since the Stations of the Cross composed by St. Alphonsus are above, I'll just post the pictures here for those who wish to pray and contemplate: https://www.ecatholic2000.com/liguori/stations/cross.shtml It is ideal but not necessary to pray them before Stations. A crucifix erected in one's house will do.

Please note the Lord's promise to give the grace never to commit mortal sin again to those who regularly pray the Lord's Cross, "12. They will never be able to separate themselves from Me, for I will give them the grace never again to commit a Mortal sin". This is in accord with what St. Alphonsus teaches us to ask, and promises we will receive if we ask perseveringly in praying it, "R: My beloved Jesus, / it was not the weight of the cross / but the weight of my sins which made You suffer so much. / By the merits of this first fall, / save me from falling into mortal sin. / I love You, O my Jesus, with all my heart; / I am sorry that I have offended You. / May I never offend You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will." It is necessary to fast not only from food, but above all from sins, and by persevering prayer we will unfailingly obtain efficacious grace to do that.

Station I: Jesus is condemned to die on the Cross

Station II: Jesus begins to carry His Cross

Station III: Jesus falls the first time under His Cross

Station IV: Jesus Meets His Mother on the Road of the Cross

Station V: Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry His Cross

Xavier

Station VI: Veronica wipes the face of Jesus as He carries the Cross

Station VII: Jesus falls the Second Time under His Cross

Station VIII: Jesus stops on the Road of the Cross to console the women of Jerusalem

Station IX: Jesus falls the Third Time under His Cross

Station X: Jesus is stripped of His Garments.

Station XI: Jesus is nailed to His Cross.

Station XII: Our Lord Jesus dies on the Cross.

Station XIII: Jesus is taken down from the Cross in the arms of His Mother.

Station XIV: Jesus is buried in the Sepulchre until the Third Day.

An online video of the Stations of the Cross, composed by St. Francis of Assisi:
And one from 1962 Propers by Angelus Press with Stabat Mater Dolorosa in Latin:

Xavier

During Holy Week especially, let us try to pray the Way of the Cross, in remembrance of the terrible Price it cost Our Lord to redeem us.

Let us try to say other prayers focused on the Precious Blood and Holy Wounds such as that Our Lord revealed to holy St. Bridget.

Edit: Please note the Priceless and very important Promise the Lord made to the Way of the Cross. Grace never to commit mortal sin again.