Worried about my friends son...

Started by pioflower, June 03, 2018, 08:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioflower

ok, so my friends son, he's only four, but I am finding his behaviour a little difficult.

For instance, If we go on a day trip and we take him to Wendys, he will gobble down all his food, and then demand pudding, instead of waiting he just moans and until mum gives in. Which means, shes still eating, but will get up just to please him.

We were out walking and if its not doing something he wants like a play centre or the park, he'll keep saying "i'm bored, i'm tired" the whole time, till his mum gives in and does something he wants.

We were watching telly, (his kids tv shows) and the ariel went, he then started kicking my carpet saying he wants his show. I told him he couldn't. He then demanded to go on my games console - which wasnt set up and I said no, he went in a big sulk,
he just thinks everything is about him all the time. He gets his own way at home, because his mum is stressed and doesn't want to hear the tantrums.

I also asked her (as she's very catholic) if she does a few prayers with him everyday, and she's like no way he wouldn't do that. He wouldn't sit through it.
When I was a child I was doing rosaries with my parents and there was no way I could ever get out of it.

I feel like no-one can see his behaviour is bad except for me. I find it hard sometimes spending time with my friend because her son is too demanding.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jacob

You should worry about your friend.  She is enabling her son's behavior by giving him what he wants when he wants it instead of making him wait.  Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Greg is right, where is the father?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

james03

He is suffering from A.D.D.: Advanced Discipline Deficiency.

Get the dad to whip his arse, then correct his wife in her lack of discipline.

Instead they'll conclude it is a chemical imbalance and string him out on drugs.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

Is it a young couple with a first time kid?  You should explain to them that they need to discipline their kids.  They should see positive results in about a week.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Chestertonian

I would stay in my own lane.  It sounds like your frienneeds to work on setting boundaries with her child but at the same time you can't expect someone else's kid to be exactly like you when you were a kid

at that age my older son did a lot of sensory play with Montessori catechesis of the good Shepherd materials, we read Bible stories, and sang hymns.  He might respond well to "praying twice" with music.  I remember focusing on playing chant cd at home, letting his mind abdorb a lot of beauty of our faith and take it in through the senses.  Children do well with repeat after me prayers then they eventually memorize it.  He always liked the Angelus because it tells a story.  He sets his watch to go off at noon to say the Angelus even at public school now

4 year olds are by nature egocentric so they generally will think everything is about them.  Eventually they learn to cope with disappointment by being disappointed and having boundaries.  They eventually learn to redirect their feelings especially when you name them.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"