On Immodest Dress and Fashions - warnings of Our Lady of Fatima.

Started by Xavier, May 11, 2018, 02:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

One of our Lady's most serious warnings at Fatima and a cause of great sorrow to Her Immaculate Heart was about immodest dressing. And especially Our Lady pleads with Her daughters not to follow the fashions of the world. Today, 10s of billions of mortal sins offend God every day related to the sins of the flesh and so many place themselves in danger of hell because of it. If Christian societies had been wiser 50-60 years ago, this fall into hell could have been avoided. You have the warnings of Popes and of many traditional priests way back in the 40s and 50s. Do you below that a strict return to modest and MaryLike dress is a prerequisite for the triumph of the Immaculate Heart as Fr. Bernard argues below? This will have to happen not just in the mass media - and in indecent publications that should never have been tolerated for one moment in a Christian society but should have been burnt - but also in real day to day life. The below is from a series of articles by Fr. Bernard Kunkel who died in 1969. He was a relentless crusader against immodest fashions and understood well the history of the enemy's ploy in this regard. Father's warnings are prescient and even more applicable for our time. See http://www.catholictradition.org/Children/immodest-dress.htm for more.

Quote...

She disapproves. In fact, she came down from Heaven to earth to warn against this disrobing trend. Listen to what she revealed to little ten year old Jacinta of Fatima, while Jacinta lay dying in a hospital in Lisbon, Portugal in 1920: 'Certain fashions will be introduced which will offend Our Divine Lord very much. Those who serve God ought not to follow these fashions. The Church has no fashions. Our Lord is always the same.' And she also revealed to Jacinta that 'the sins that lead most souls to hell are the sins of the flesh.'

"The devil seeks, therefore, to destroy that veneration which the faithful have always paid to Mary's chaste and virginal Body through which Christ entered this world. For centuries he has sought to find a way to remove Mary as their perfect model of chastity and modesty. Only then could he hope to bring about that mass corruption which might lead Catholics to his 'world religion'---the impure worship of the body and unrestrained sex gratification.

"This is apparently what Satan attempted through his agents, the powers of corruption, during the French Revolution. For, on Dec. 10, 1793 an angry mob rushed into the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, seized the statue of the Blessed Virgin on the altar, and dashed it to the floor. Hatred against the Mother of God? Quite evidently. But their hatred was directed chiefly against the Virgin with modest attire, the model of purity and modesty. This is clear from their subsequent action of enthroning on the altar in Mary's place a nude woman, the Goddess of Reason.' To this day Paris remains the capital of the semi-nude fashion world.

"But why should women be the first victim of the Devil's plot? Because women have a much more delicate sense of modesty, and that is exactly why the devil strives first to destroy this feminine sense of modesty which makes womanhood the guardian of chastity in the world.
"Even with the success of the French Revolution, the demon of lust was too cunning to reveal immediately his full program of moral destruction to be carried out by his human agents. To escape detection, he must develop it gradually. Had the entire program been unfolded at once, Christian women would have risen up in open rebellion. Yet, long before feminine gowns became modem'. a portion of this secret, graduated, program was disclosed by a French paper, 'The French Woman' as follows: 'Our children must realize the ideal of nakedness... Thus the mentality of the child is rapidly transformed. To escape opposition, progress must be methodically graduated; first, feet and legs naked; then, upturned sleeves; afterwards the upper and lower limbs; the upper part of the chest; the back; ...in summer the children will go around almost naked.'

"In other words, applying this to our day, keep the children in sun suits, or next to nothing, as long as possible, that becoming accustomed to this, they will see nothing wrong with exposing the body later on. Make the blouses sheerer year after year; the sweaters and jeans tighter; the shorts, shorter; the daytime dresses, sleeveless; the formals, strapless or with thin straps at best; the bathing suits more daring; all with the idea that the fashions should reveal as much as possible, rather than conceal. Who but the Devil could devise such a clever scheme, knowing the inevitable result that would follow because of fallen human nature caused by original sin?

"This plan was published many years ago, but we see from the current fashions how modern women have fallen for it, including many Catholics. Since it was done so gradually, without their being aware of any organized program, is it any wonder our young girls ask, 'What's wrong with the modem fashions?' Having been reared in them, many from the time they were children, they see nothing wrong with them, nor the dangers to themselves or to others.

"In 1846, the Pontifical Government of Italy, under Pope Gregory XVI, seized secret documents from the Communists of that day These documents the Pope sent to Cretinau-Joly, who published them in French in 1875 with the approval of Pope Pius IX. One of these documents is most revealing: 'It has been decided in our councils that we must get rid of Catholics, but we do not want to make Martyrs, so let us strive to popularize vice among the people. It must enter by their five senses: Let them drink it in and be saturated with it ... make men's hearts corrupt and you will have no more Catholics. I recently heard one of our friends making fun of our projects and saying, 'To overthrow Catholicism, you must begin by suppressing the female sex.' The saying is, in a certain sense, true, but since we cannot suppress woman, let us corrupt her along with the Church ... The best dagger with which to wound the Church to death, is corruption.'

"Our young people are great imitators. They like to 'follow the crowd.' This is fine so long as the crowd is going in the right direction. Otherwise, it can lead to serious trouble, especially in the matter of fashions. Too many teenagers say: 'Everybody else does it, so why can't we?' If everybody else jumped in front of a fast moving train, would you do the same? Because' everybody else does it' is no reason for us to do wrong. There is no security in numbers. What was wrong centuries ago as far as sin is concerned, is still wrong today. God made no special provisions for the 20th century. If 99 people do wrong because 'everybody else does it,' God will punish the 99 and reward the 1 that follows Him. This was proven at the time of the deluge, when he destroyed all, save Noah and his family. Our Holy Father Pope Pius XII has stated repeatedly: 'The greatest sin of our modern generation is that it has lost all sense of sin.' This is true particularly in regard to fashions, and the virtue of purity."...

CERTAIN FASHIONS
THREATEN TO RETARD MARY'S TRIUMPH AND WORLD PEACE

By the former Crusade Director, Rev. Father Bernard Kunkel

... if the blind lead the blind, both fall into the pit." (Matt. 15:14)
Pre-Requisite For the Triumph of Mary's Immaculate Heart

How can we expect Mary's triumph and world peace in an unchastened human society? And how can the reign of purity be established as long as these "certain fashions" continue to fan furiously the flame of passion in the hearts of men? Is it not evident from Our Lady's messages at Fatima that modesty in feminine attire is a prerequisite for Her triumph and for world peace?
Let's use our God-given faculty of reasoning. Our Lady tells us "Men must cease offending God...." In the next breath, as it were, she reminds us that one way in which God is offended "very much" is by those "certain fashions." The conclusion should be plain. These semi-nude fashions retard Mary's triumph, and are one of the chief causes bringing the world to the brink of annihilation.
Our Lady further revealed that "More souls go to Hell because of sins of the flesh, than for any other reason." Who can count the millions of mortal sins of the flesh that are daily occasioned by immodest attire-evil thoughts and desires, touches, impure embracing, kissing, raping, etc. How can the Immaculate Heart of Mary triumph as long as "more souls go to Hell" through shameless fashions?
Again, a Christian society would never tolerate the current flood of indecent literature, movies, and television if it had not first tolerated the public appearance of semi-nude women and girls IN THE FLESH. As Pius XII points out, "vice necessarily follows upon public nudity." Which implies: when public nudity is tolerated, innumerable sins against purity necessarily follow, and the corruption of mankind.
Yet, who will convince our Catholic women and girls that their shameful attire is responsible that so many "souls go to Hell..."?
It will take a miracle to save a world which has forgotten God to such an extent that even many Catholics have turned to the worship of human idols in the form of body cult and sex worship. Our Lady of Fatima has promised this miracle that will save us from the "greatest catastrophe since the deluge," (Pius XII) if we do our part.
Listen to the Virgin Mary's pleas for "prayers and sacrifices." There can be no doubt that one of the sacrifices that is very acceptable to Our Lady is the sacrifice required to become ever more Marylike ourselves; and to promote energetically in others the "Marylike Way of Life'' which will restore Marylike chastity and modesty to the world. This will hasten true world peace, which is promised only through the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

ServusMariae

My country doesn't give a damn about dressing so modestly at Sunday Masses ... but I hint the world is no less worst either. I feel grieved.

awkwardcustomer

And she also revealed to Jacinta that 'the sins that lead most souls to hell are the sins of the flesh.

Is this theologicallly sound?

Does the Church teach that lust leads more souls to hell than pride, anger, envy, sloth, covetousness, gluttony?

Claiming that immodest fashions are largely responsible for our current problems while ignoring the treachery of the Modernists seems a little strange to me.

What if a doctor said - "you have cancer, but that broken ankle of yours is the main problem?
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Xavier

Have you never read "Impurity: Hell's widest gate" by St. Alphonsus?

St. Alphonsus: "In conformity with this doctrine, it was revealed to a holy soul, that as pride has filled hell with devils, so impurity fills it with men. (Col., disp. ix., ex. 192.) St. Isidore assigns the reason. He says that there is no vice which so much enslaves men to the devil as impurity. "Magis per luxuriam, humanum genus subditur diabolo, quam per aliquod aliud." (S. Isid., lib. 2, c. xxxix.) Hence, St. Augustine says, that with regard to this sin, "the combat is common and the victory rare." Hence it is, that on account of this sin hell is filled with souls."

How many millions upon millions of sins against purity are committed in this internet age which could have easily been prevented with some vigilance? We should all practice the 3 Hail Marys devotion every day, which the same Doctor promises will be an efficacious remedy against unchastity. Impurity leads men to forgetfuless of God and neglect of their spiritual duties more than other sins, St. Alphonsus says. It also leads to repetitive sins more than other vices. Abortion culture began after fornication became widespread. One is the root, the other the evil fruit. Abortions itself have led to billions of sins. Don't tell me there are not billions of sins of impurity itself even apart from that.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

mikemac

Quote from: Xavier on May 11, 2018, 07:37:01 AM

St. Alphonsus: "In conformity with this doctrine, it was revealed to a holy soul, that as pride has filled hell with devils, so impurity fills it with men. (Col., disp. ix., ex. 192.) St. Isidore assigns the reason. He says that there is no vice which so much enslaves men to the devil as impurity. "Magis per luxuriam, humanum genus subditur diabolo, quam per aliquod aliud." (S. Isid., lib. 2, c. xxxix.) Hence, St. Augustine says, that with regard to this sin, "the combat is common and the victory rare." Hence it is, that on account of this sin hell is filled with souls."

How many millions upon millions of sins against purity are committed in this internet age which could have easily been prevented with some vigilance? We should all practice the 3 Hail Marys devotion every day, which the same Doctor promises will be an efficacious remedy against unchastity. Impurity leads men to forgetfuless of God and neglect of their spiritual duties more than other sins, St. Alphonsus says. It also leads to repetitive sins more than other vices. Abortion culture began after fornication became widespread. One is the root, the other the evil fruit. Abortions itself have led to billions of sins. Don't tell me there are not billions of sins of impurity itself even apart from that.

That reminds me that I kept an email that I received during Lent from the Lepanto Institute about the three Hail Mary devotion that I planned on posting in here.

QuoteThe most important thing in the world is the salvation of souls.  As Fulton Sheen said so often, "If souls are not saved, then nothing is saved." 

So, in the interest of saving souls, I wanted to take a moment to encourage all of you to practice quite possibly the simplest and easiest path to salvation.  It is the devotion of the Three Hail Mary's.  Our Lady has made some very powerful promises to those who take up this devotion.

St. Melchtilde was the first to make this devotion known.  As she was praying, she asked Our Lady to assist her in the hour of her death. Our Lady appeared to her and said:

"I will, certainly. But I also want you to say three special Hail Marys to me every day.

"The first Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Father, Whose omnipotence raised my soul so high above every other creature that after God I have the greatest power in heaven and on earth. In the hour of your death I will use that power of God the Father to keep any hostile power far from you.

"The second Hail Mary will be said in honor of the Son of God Who communicated His inscrutable wisdom to me. In the hour of your death I will fill your soul with the light of that wisdom so that all the darkness of ignorance and error will be dispelled.

"The third Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Holy Ghost Who filled my soul with the sweetness of His love and tenderness and mercy. In your last hour I will then change the bitterness of death into divine sweetness and delight."

Our Blessed Mother also revealed to St. Gertrude the Great: "To any soul who faithfully prays the Three Hail Marys, I will appear at the hour of death in a splendor so extraordinary that it will fill the soul with heavenly consolation."

This simple devotion is so powerful that Pope Benedict XV raised this devotion to an Archconfraternity by according it precious indulgences with the power to aggregate to itself all Confraternities of the same kind, and to communicate them its own indulgences.

So, if you love your soul and you wish to save it, then practice this devotion with great dedication, making sure never to miss a day without reciting these three Hail Marys.  If you wish to include the consecration prayer to Our Lady along with this devotion, the formula for it is below.  It takes about 3 minutes to say these prayers, and the spiritual benefits are infinite.  If you know of someone who is struggling, especially with sins against purity, encourage them to begin practicing this devotion.

Formula for the Consecration and Three Hail Mary's Devotion:

At the end of each, pray 1 Hail Mary and say, "By thy holy and Immaculate Conception, O Mary, make my body pure and my soul holy; preserve me this day [this night] from mortal sin."

With all my heart I praise Thee, Most Holy Virgin above all angels and saints in Paradise, Daughter of the Eternal Father, and I consecrate to Thee my soul with all its faculties. Hail Mary...*

With all my heart I praise Thee, Most Holy Virgin above all angels and saints in Paradise, beloved Mother of the Son of God. I consecrate to Thee my body with all its senses. Hail Mary...*

With all my heart I praise Thee, Most Holy Virgin above all angels and saints in Paradise, beloved Spouse of the Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee my heart, with all its affections and beseech Thee to obtain for me from the Most Holy Trinity all the graces necessary for salvation. Hail Mary...

Also years ago Father Gruner sent me a three Hail Mary devotion leaflet.  It suggested to pray the following during your morning and evening prayers.

"After the power of the Father, the wisdom of the Son and the merciful tenderness of the Holy Ghost nothing approaches the power, the wisdom and the merciful tenderness of Mary.

3 Hail Marys

Oh Mary preserve me from mortal sin during this day/night." 
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

awkwardcustomer

Accordong to Fr Kunkel,

Our Lady tells us "Men must cease offending God...." In the next breath, as it were, she reminds us that one way in which God is offended "very much" is by those "certain fashions." The conclusion should be plain. These semi-nude fashions retard Mary's triumph, and are one of the chief causes bringing the world to the brink of annihilation.
Our Lady further revealed that "More souls go to Hell because of sins of the flesh, than for any other reason." Who can count the millions of mortal sins of the flesh that are daily occasioned by immodest attire-evil thoughts and desires, touches, impure embracing, kissing, raping, etc. How can the Immaculate Heart of Mary triumph as long as "more souls go to Hell" through shameless fashions?
Again, a Christian society would never tolerate the current flood of indecent literature, movies, and television if it had not first tolerated the public appearance of semi-nude women and girls IN THE FLESH. As Pius XII points out, "vice necessarily follows upon public nudity." Which implies: when public nudity is tolerated, innumerable sins against purity necessarily follow, and the corruption of mankind.
Yet, who will convince our Catholic women and girls that their shameful attire is responsible that so many "souls go to Hell.

Fatima makes no mention of the deceitful, heretical Modernists who have laid waste to the Church.

Instead it is the immodest clothing of women that is largely responsible for "bringing the world to the brink of annihilation" and causing so many souls to go to hell.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Xavier on May 11, 2018, 07:37:01 AM

How many millions upon millions of sins against purity are committed in this internet age which could have easily been prevented with some vigilance? We should all practice the 3 Hail Marys devotion every day, which the same Doctor promises will be an efficacious remedy against unchastity. Impurity leads men to forgetfuless of God and neglect of their spiritual duties more than other sins, St. Alphonsus says. It also leads to repetitive sins more than other vices. Abortion culture began after fornication became widespread. One is the root, the other the evil fruit. Abortions itself have led to billions of sins. [bDon't tell me there are not billions of sins of impurity itself even apart from that.[/b]

I'm not telling you anything like that. And I'm not defending immodesty. I'm questioning the claim that immodest clothing on women is one of the primary causes of the disaster that has befallen the Church.

Did immodest women's clothing cause the men of the Church to embrace the Modernist heresy en masse and seek to destroy the Church?

You quote St Alphonsus. And yet Dante placed the realm of the lustful in the first level of hell, the traitors being at the lowest. I just wondered what the Church teaches.

mikemac

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on May 11, 2018, 08:52:33 AM
Fatima makes no mention of the deceitful, heretical Modernists who have laid waste to the Church.

Not necessarily.  Remember the third secret of Fatima was supposed to be revealed before 1960.  It still hasn't been.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

Miriam_M

awkward,
I think the point is that sins of the flesh are so common, so multiple, so habitual.  And because of that, the Devil easily finds his home within those sins.  Experientially and theologically, when we are comfortable with one mortal sin, the others easily follow, "due to," or "because of," or "proceeding from," the first. 

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: mikemac on May 11, 2018, 09:21:22 AM

Not necessarily.  Remember the third secret of Fatima was supposed to be revealed before 1960.  It still hasn't been.

Boy talk about grasping at straws.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

I think from what Ive read Fatima n awkwards point are in congruence.

Lust leads more sins to hell, but pride and sins of the spirit lead those deeper into hell
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

mikemac

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 11, 2018, 11:01:48 AM
Quote from: mikemac on May 11, 2018, 09:21:22 AM

Boy talk about grasping at straws.

How is it grasping at straws when entire books have been written about it.

Source

Larry

I know this will ruffle some feathers, but something we need to keep in mind is this: not one of these quotes are from the actual revelations at Fatima. Most come second hand, from a nurse who tended to Jacinta when she was near her death. Many Fatima scholars, including Frere Michel, give little credence to the authenticity of these sayings. So when people say something that Our Lady supposedly said at Fatima, I always ask, "In which of the six apparitions did She say this?". 99% of the time, the answer is none of them.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

mikemac

Quote from: Larry on May 11, 2018, 11:57:10 AM
I know this will ruffle some feathers, but something we need to keep in mind is this: not one of these quotes are from the actual revelations at Fatima. Most come second hand, from a nurse who tended to Jacinta when she was near her death. Many Fatima scholars, including Frere Michel, give little credence to the authenticity of these sayings. So when people say something that Our Lady supposedly said at Fatima, I always ask, "In which of the six apparitions did She say this?". 99% of the time, the answer is none of them.

If you read the OP you will find that it is not saying that Our Lady of Fatima said that at one of the six apparitions at Fatima.  And if you do a search for "Certain fashions will be introduced which will offend Our Divine Lord very much" you will find many sites quoting that from Our Lady of Fatima.

I don't know why some members of this forum go into a hissy fit just at the mention of Fatima anymore.

Source

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 11, 2018, 10:54:27 AM
awkward,
I think the point is that sins of the flesh are so common, so multiple, so habitual.  And because of that, the Devil easily finds his home within those sins.  Experientially and theologically, when we are comfortable with one mortal sin, the others easily follow, "due to," or "because of," or "proceeding from," the first.

Okay, fair enough, but does the Church actually teach that lust leads more souls to hell than, say, pride, or envy?

But the real point is the OP's argument that the most serious warning given by Our Lady at Fatima concerned immodest dress, but not the heresies of the Modernists which Fatima never mentions.