CAFOD talk after mass. Half congregation buggered off.

Started by Greg, February 18, 2018, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I went to a diocesan Trad mass yesterday in the suburbs of south London.  Sung mass.

It's pretty Trad there.  All the women cover their heads.  There are a lot of families with young kids and the majority of the congregation are non-whites of one kind or another.  Reflective of London.

At the end of it, a white woman representing CAFOD walked up to the lectern and announced that the priest had agreed to let her read a statement.  She did not have her head covered.

She read this out.

https://cafod.org.uk/News/UK-news/safeguarding-statement

It was all about the Oxfam prostitution scandal.  I was kind of surprised when half of the congregation got up and left while she was speaking.  I guess they have heard other bad stories about CAFOD and really don't want to hear their ass-covering b.s.

I left too.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Irishcyclist

I don't know what point you're trying to make here.

Is the point of your post that you and several others got up and walked out? ::)

Greg

I was just surprised and wondered why they left like that.  They don't usually.  It was odd because it was only 30-40 second into the reading that there was a sort of bum-rush for the exits.  It wasn't several it was nearly half the congregation!  About 40 people.

1.  They don't like CAFOD.  (There are good reasons for that, they are pretty compromised and compromsing).
2.  They didn't want their children hearing the 'news' about aid workers and under-aged third world prostitutes.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Found some time in the business lounge to google this and here is the answer.

http://www.cathud.com/RESOURCES_CATHOLIC/pages_AF/what_is_cafod.htm

I do like an informed congregation.  I really do.

St.Justin

The Catholic Agency For Overseas Development (CAFOD)

Elizabeth

Kaesekopf

Yeah, that's kinda weird. 

Luckily, the diocese mostly leaves the TLM oratory near me alone.  We give them their shekels, they just pretend we don't exist.

It's pretty nice.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

lauermar

I would have left too. I go to church to be uplifted by the mass so I have the strength to go on. Corruption will always be with us. The last thing I want to hear is politics after a mass. I can get that on the radio.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)