Author Topic: Favorite version of the Bible?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Livenotonevil

• A Hope-filled Sinner
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Saint Patrick, Pray For Us!
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Inquirer
Favorite version of the Bible?
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
Read the top.
"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation."

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Favorite version of the Bible?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
I like the revised Douay Rheims but RSV is perhaps easier to read.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »
the Catholic version  :P

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
I flipped once I started reading the Bible more.  I'm back on the Douay-Rheims, having had a flirtation with the RSV-CE.  RSV-CE is a bit easier on the eyes, but the Mass texts, etc, are in the DR for TLM translations, so it's hard to argue for using anything else in the meantime....
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Gerard

• Feldwebel
  • .. and his raiment became white and glittering
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:57 AM »
I've been taking an interest in the Knox version.  He specifically translated it to be a reading Bible for the faithful.  The English is smooth so the ideas are a bit clearer than English ordered as much as possible to the Latin. 

I remember reading that Leo XIII's St. Michael's prayer loses a lot in English because of the direct translation when the sequencing would be better suited to put the emphasis on Satan and the evil spirits prowling about the world seeking the ruin of souls and the prayer more appropriately would finish with "…and cast them into Hell."

The following users thanked this post: PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:35 AM »
Douay-Rheims. Douay-Rheims eternally. ^-^ (preferably if it's Challoner edition, but doesn't matter.)

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »
D-R Challoner,  D-R 1609 and 1582, and for the times I used to get stuck Confraternity Version even though it was never quite finished. I also have a Missal from England from the late '50s or possibly 1960 which uses something called the Westminister Version which I enjoyed although I don't think I ever came across such a Bible.

In retrospect I think initially being slowed down by these versions was very useful in actually being able to understand. I find it too easy to gloss over important elements when the language is too user friendly for our era.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »
The Clementine Vulgate, because it's the official bible of the Church. Why go with anything else? (But unfortunately, I don't know enough Latin :()

For reading purposes, my favourite is the original Douay Rheims. Not the Challoner revision. The original is a lot better than the Challoner because it's a more literal translation from the Latin, and in many cases it seems to be more in line with the way that the Church has traditionally interpretted the Vulgate. It also contains a good amount of commentary, which is nice. And it was printed during the Renaissance so it's beautiful, with all the fancy designwork and also the archaic typography and everything.

But for all practical purposes, the Challoner version will have to do, since it's more easily accessible online.

The Knox is all right, but not my favourite. I'd rather stick with a more literal translation.

The following users thanked this post: Innocent Smith, PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
For reading purposes, my favourite is the original Douay Rheims. Not the Challoner revision. The original is a lot better than the Challoner because it's a more literal translation from the Latin, and in many cases it seems to be more in line with the way that the Church has traditionally interpretted the Vulgate. It also contains a good amount of commentary, which is nice. And it was printed during the Renaissance so it's beautiful, with all the fancy designwork and also the archaic typography and everything.

It if the beft.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

The following users thanked this post: aquinas138

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »
Douay Rheims
I arose, and am still with Thee, alleluia; Thou hast laid Thy hand upon me, alleluia; Thy knowledge is become wonderful, alleluia, alleluia. -- (Ps. 138. 1, 2). Lord, Thou hast searched Me and known Me; Thou knowest my sitting down and My rising up. V.: Glory to the Father . . . -- I arose, and am still with Thee, alleluia .

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
For reading for interest or devotional purposes, I like RSV-CE, making a point to use the second edition which avoids "inclusive language".  If it is for study or a debate, I check against Douay-Rheims and/or the Vulgate.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline Livenotonevil

• A Hope-filled Sinner
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Saint Patrick, Pray For Us!
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Inquirer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
What do you guys think about the King James or New King James? Growing up in Catholic education the King James was taboo and kind of ignored or discouraged...however, we were allowed to and encouraged to use the NIV (lol).

I know the tensions between Anglicanism and Catholicism have led to hostility towards this book, but we consider it as a pretty good translation (despite the limited canon and the Protestantizing elements in it). In fact, the Orthodox Study Bible uses the NKJV as its base for the New Testament (the Old Testament is translated directly from the Septaguint as are the deutercanonical books).

If you don't like it or like it, what would be your reasons for it?

My personal favorite is the Douay-Rheims, as I like the way it is sometimes translated ("supersubstantial bread", "the gods of the nations are demons," etc.)

Plus, I like to give my respects to Saint Jerome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:39:10 PM by Livenotonevil »
"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation."

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »
Before I waddled my way into Catholicism, the KJV & NIV served as my starter bibles & in overall opened me up to the world of Christianity as a whole... I admit they used to my favourites largely due to simplicity of the texts, no huge jargon whatsoever albeit somewhat heavy on translating those text for "the modern reader" (but I was a kid back then so I didn't care) ... But really when it came to the KJV I was fascinated how there's a "legend" which says of a secret "happy birthday, shakesphere" messege embedded somewhere in the Psalms (idk if it's true or not)... & how the whole KJV itself earned a dramatized audio version:

http://www.wordofpromiseapp.com/WebBibleWOP/WebPlayer.aspx

(I relied on that site alot. :P )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:48:03 PM by ServusMariae »

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
What do you guys think about the King James or New King James? Growing up in Catholic education the King James was taboo and kind of ignored or discouraged...however, we were allowed to and encouraged to use the NIV (lol).

I know the tensions between Anglicanism and Catholicism have led to hostility towards this book, but we consider it as a pretty good translation (despite the limited canon and the Protestantizing elements in it). In fact, the Orthodox Study Bible uses the NKJV as its base for the New Testament (the Old Testament is translated directly from the Septuagint as are the deutercanonical books).

If you don't like it or like it, what would be your reasons for it?

My personal favorite is the Douay-Rheims, as I like the way it is sometimes translated ("supersubstantial bread", "the gods of the nations are demons," etc.)

Plus, I like to give my respects to Saint Jerome.

Both the New International Version (NIV) and the New King James Version (NKJV) change the meaning of Genesis 3:15.  Genesis 3:15 should read like it does in the Douay-Rheims Bible "I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel."

Both the NIV and the NKJV try to make these statues and images and many more obsolete, but never will.  Why does the Orthodox Study Bible use the Protestant NKJV?  Anything but Catholic I guess, eh.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:08:10 PM by mikemac »
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto