The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Started by Dymphna, January 22, 2017, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: angelcookie on January 24, 2017, 10:19:18 PM
The rosary and angelus it is then :)

Good call   ;). Once the baby is born, and you start getting some energy back, then you can reasonably add to things.  The Little Office book would be a great "welcome baby" gift, if anyone asks you for suggestions.

aquinas138

You also don't have to do the whole Office at first. In fact, I recommend against it. Make Prime and Compline part of your day, and once you feel their absence if you have to miss them one day, you can begin to add another hour. Matins should probably be last to add. It's WAY too easy to jump into such a devotion with so much zeal you burn out within a few weeks. Speaking from long experience!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Dymphna on January 24, 2017, 10:05:16 PM
Quote from: angelcookie on January 24, 2017, 09:39:13 PM
How long does this devotion take each day?
I kept track one day and all seven hours took me a little less than an hour to pray. Matins and Lauds take the most time. Prime, Terce, Sext and None take less than ten minutes each. Vespers and Compline take a little more.

How are you taking that long for these Offices?

Maybe I'm just blowing through mine.... 

(I get through 1960 Vespers and Compline in around 15 minutes.....)
:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Dymphna

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 24, 2017, 11:30:58 PM
I kept track one day and all seven hours took me a little less than an hour to pray. Matins and Lauds take the most time. Prime, Terce, Sext and None take less than ten minutes each. Vespers and Compline take a little more.

Maybe I'm slow? :)

Jayne

Quote from: Dymphna on January 25, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

I go around the same speed that you do.  It looks like KK is too fast.  ;)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Daniel

Quote from: Jayne on January 25, 2017, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: Dymphna on January 25, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

I go around the same speed that you do.  It looks like KK is too fast.  ;)
I'll point out, it's possible that you're both praying it incorrectly. Because it used to take me that long as well, maybe longer, but as it turns out, I was doing it wrong.

The (incorrect) way I used to pray it was, I would read through the psalms slowly, and sort of meditate on them, line-by-line. Not any super-deep meditation or anything, but enough to at least have some cognizance of what it was that I was reading, and to call to mind some of the typology behind it.
But as it turns out, none of that is necessary. And as I've been told, meditation during this particular prayer is a bad thing, since the Office (and presumably the Little Office as well) is public prayer. Not private prayer or meditation. (There's a time and a place for meditation, and this isn't it.) You're just supposed to read/say/chant the words, and that's it. In doing so, you participate in the Church's prayer by vocally expressing the sentiments of Christ / the Church. And your prayer is then good and glorifies God, because the Church's prayer itself is good and glorifies God. Regardless of whether or not you comprehend the words. (Though, you also should not willfully be distracted while praying it, since willful distractions are sins.)

Now I personally am a slow reader, so I likely would take a little longer than most people to pray it. But, overall, it's only supposed to take as long as it takes you to read/say/chant it at a somewhat rapid pace.

Lynne

Quote from: Daniel on January 25, 2017, 11:49:53 AM

I'll point out, it's possible that you're both praying it incorrectly. Because it used to take me that long as well, maybe longer, but as it turns out, I was doing it wrong.

The (incorrect) way I used to pray it was, I would read through the psalms slowly, and sort of meditate on them, line-by-line. Not any super-deep meditation or anything, but enough to at least have some cognizance of what it was that I was reading, and to call to mind some of the typology behind it.
But as it turns out, none of that is necessary. And as I've been told, meditation during this particular prayer is a bad thing, since the Office (and presumably the Little Office as well) is public prayer. Not private prayer or meditation. (There's a time and a place for meditation, and this isn't it.) You're just supposed to read/say/chant the words, and that's it. In doing so, you participate in the Church's prayer by vocally expressing the sentiments of Christ / the Church. And your prayer is then good and glorifies God, because the Church's prayer itself is good and glorifies God. Regardless of whether or not you comprehend the words. (Though, you also should not willfully be distracted while praying it, since willful distractions are sins.)

Now I personally am a slow reader, so I likely would take a little longer than most people to pray it. But, overall, it's only supposed to take as long as it takes you to read/say/chant it at a somewhat rapid pace.

This makes perfect sense. Thank you, Daniel.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

aquinas138

Quote from: Daniel on January 25, 2017, 11:49:53 AMBut as it turns out, none of that is necessary. And as I've been told, meditation during this particular prayer is a bad thing, since the Office (and presumably the Little Office as well) is public prayer. Not private prayer or meditation. (There's a time and a place for meditation, and this isn't it.) You're just supposed to read/say/chant the words, and that's it. In doing so, you participate in the Church's prayer by vocally expressing the sentiments of Christ / the Church. And your prayer is then good and glorifies God, because the Church's prayer itself is good and glorifies God. Regardless of whether or not you comprehend the words. (Though, you also should not willfully be distracted while praying it, since willful distractions are sins.)

If by "comprehend" you mean "exhaustively understand the full significance of what you're praying," then I would agree, especially since it is impossible anyway with divinely-inspired texts like the Psalms. But you must, at least on a surface level, understand what you are reading. Otherwise it seems a bit like an exercise in magic. I do agree that study of the Psalms should occur outside of prayer.

While the Office is the prayer of the Church, it is also the prayer of the Christian praying it, who is a member of the Church, and so he or she should take care to pray it well and come to understand it better. The speed with which you pray should be comprehensible, not rushed or hurried, so that someone listening could understand what you are saying. The admonition that comprehension is not essential can too often devolve into excessively hurried reading. I would put all notions of "rapid pace" aside. The Office is supposed to be sung in common; simply reading it is a concession to private recitation, which is not what the Office was originally intended to be.

Admonitions in the past from moralists about proper pronunciation, moving the lips even if praying silently, rapid pace, etc., were often more about discussions of what was necessary to fulfill the canonical obligation of a cleric to recite the Office, not always advice for "best practices." A lay person is generally under no canonical obligation to the Office. It is more valuable to pray just Compline attentively and worthily than to speed-read through all the hours.

All that said, my speed is a lot more like Kaesekopf's!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Jayne

I don't usually meditate, but I want to recite the prayers at a pace at which I do not feel like I am rushing. If I go too fast it feels like going through the motions rather than praying with devotion.  I expect that speed varies from person to person.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Dymphna

I don't meditate on them either. Perhaps, like I said in an earlier post, I am slow. :)

Dymphna

I decided to time myself today. Matins and Lauds took eleven minutes each. Prime, Terce, and Sext each took four minutes. None took six. Vespers took nine minutes. Compline seven. All together, a total of 56 minutes, or slightly under an hour.  :)

Daniel

Quote from: aquinas138 on January 25, 2017, 01:13:43 PM
Quote from: Daniel on January 25, 2017, 11:49:53 AMBut as it turns out, none of that is necessary. And as I've been told, meditation during this particular prayer is a bad thing, since the Office (and presumably the Little Office as well) is public prayer. Not private prayer or meditation. (There's a time and a place for meditation, and this isn't it.) You're just supposed to read/say/chant the words, and that's it. In doing so, you participate in the Church's prayer by vocally expressing the sentiments of Christ / the Church. And your prayer is then good and glorifies God, because the Church's prayer itself is good and glorifies God. Regardless of whether or not you comprehend the words. (Though, you also should not willfully be distracted while praying it, since willful distractions are sins.)

If by "comprehend" you mean "exhaustively understand the full significance of what you're praying," then I would agree, especially since it is impossible anyway with divinely-inspired texts like the Psalms. But you must, at least on a surface level, understand what you are reading. Otherwise it seems a bit like an exercise in magic. I do agree that study of the Psalms should occur outside of prayer.

While the Office is the prayer of the Church, it is also the prayer of the Christian praying it, who is a member of the Church, and so he or she should take care to pray it well and come to understand it better. The speed with which you pray should be comprehensible, not rushed or hurried, so that someone listening could understand what you are saying. The admonition that comprehension is not essential can too often devolve into excessively hurried reading. I would put all notions of "rapid pace" aside. The Office is supposed to be sung in common; simply reading it is a concession to private recitation, which is not what the Office was originally intended to be.

Admonitions in the past from moralists about proper pronunciation, moving the lips even if praying silently, rapid pace, etc., were often more about discussions of what was necessary to fulfill the canonical obligation of a cleric to recite the Office, not always advice for "best practices." A lay person is generally under no canonical obligation to the Office. It is more valuable to pray just Compline attentively and worthily than to speed-read through all the hours.

All that said, my speed is a lot more like Kaesekopf's!
Thank you. I think that clarifies things :)

Andrew

Hey, if you have some desire to pray the Little Office but can't incorporate it right now, this might be of interest to you: The Little Office of Our Lady: A Treatise Theoretical, Practical, and Exegetical (<--Link). This was originally published in 1903, so it fits perfectly with the 1904 version of the Little Office that St. Bonaventure Press publishes (<--Link). It remains beneficial for all versions based on the original Latin office; however, ICEL's Little Office, culled from the Liturgy of the Hours, has no correlation what-so-ever with this treatise.

I choose the 1904 version for many reasons. One of the main ones is that it is possible that St. Gemma may have prayed this exact version prior to her death in 1903. There are some subtle and not so subtle differences between this version and the more modern printings. I own them all, lol.

The treatise on the Little Office is really enjoyable reading. The office is so little, yet the commentary is 438 pages long. Gotta love that. It is truly some spiritual reading that can be taken in bite-sized chunks that a busy mom can handle. Every single line of each hour, one antiphon at a time, one psalm at a time, in the order that it is prayed, is given with delightfully Catholic exposition in order to understand more fully the incredible depth of Our Lady's Little Office.

Anyway, thought this might be something of interest to you, even if you might not be able to pray Our Lady's hours right now.

Lynne

Quote from: Andrew on February 05, 2017, 09:36:21 AM

Hey, if you have some desire to pray the Little Office but can't incorporate it right now, this might be of interest to you: The Little Office of Our Lady: A Treatise Theoretical, Practical, and Exegetical (<--Link). This was originally published in 1903, so it fits perfectly with the 1904 version of the Little Office that St. Bonaventure Press publishes (<--Link). It remains beneficial for all versions based on the original Latin office; however, ICEL's Little Office, culled from the Liturgy of the Hours, has no correlation what-so-ever with this treatise.

I choose the 1904 version for many reasons. One of the main ones is that it is possible that St. Gemma may have prayed this exact version prior to her death in 1903. There are some subtle and not so subtle differences between this version and the more modern printings. I own them all, lol.

The treatise on the Little Office is really enjoyable reading. The office is so little, yet the commentary is 438 pages long. Gotta love that. It is truly some spiritual reading that can be taken in bite-sized chunks that a busy mom can handle. Every single line of each hour, one antiphon at a time, one psalm at a time, in the order that it is prayed, is given with delightfully Catholic exposition in order to understand more fully the incredible depth of Our Lady's Little Office.

Anyway, thought this might be something of interest to you, even if you might not be able to pray Our Lady's hours right now.

Thank you! And welcome!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"