Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Unquestionably valid popes had to cancel out and nullify entire sections of what the world thought were ecumenical councils because they erred on ecclesiology.

This ex post facto special pleading doesn't change the reality at the time. When there were 3 validly-elected popes at the same time, then 100 years later a subsequent pope says "Pope A was the true pope, and Popes B and C were anti-popes," how does that change anything for the millions of Catholics who lived and died a century before the rewriting of history took place?

I would argue that only Gregory and Martin were validly elected. Benedict XIII and the original Antipope John XXIII, were not validly elected, but I think your point was the shafting of the faiths of millions during the 14th Century. I have no answer.

The same must happen following all of this, or else indefectibility, and even Catholicism, just becomes a joke.

On another current thread a poster is saying that we need to call a council to cancel out and nullify the heretical pope, meanwhile you are saying that we need a pope to cancel out and nullify a heretical council.

Maybe they can just cancel each other out? The heretical council can excommunicate the heretical pope while the heretical pope nullifies the heretical council.

Properly speaking, no council could ever "remove" a pope. An antipope or pope who has fallen into heresy and loss office ceases being pope. It may seem nitpicky, but it has an ecclesiological importance. This isn't like the American presidency where there would be an official trial. Metaphysically, the loss of office would happen, just as nearly every English bishop ceased being Catholic and forfeited their offices centuries ago.

Again, though, I ain't got an answer.

General News and Discussion / Re: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
« Last post by Maximilian on Today at 08:21:14 PM »

He's a whipped soy boy because he doesn't realize she doesn't love him back -- she loves his position. 

You have never even met her.  You are making all these judgments about her with very little to go on.  Why would you know her better than a person who has spent lots of time with her?

Have you seen their engagement interview?

Besides, it's often easier for others who aren't blinded by a narcissist to see what's going on...

When one only sees people in interviews and through news media, one does not actually know them.  It is all an illusion.  None of us are in a position to diagnose her as a narcissist. 

It is theoretically possible that he is blinded and deceived by her.  But I would rather trust the judgement of someone who knows her than someone who has merely seen an interview.  You seemed to be basing much of your criticism on her clothing and make up choices.  Wearing too little makeup and somewhat plain clothes is not a moral fault.  There is no reason to be directing so much cattiness at this woman.

It's admirable that Jayne as a citizen of the Commonwealth is making every possible effort to provide a charitable interpretation.
« Last post by Maximilian on Today at 08:10:36 PM »

Unquestionably valid popes had to cancel out and nullify entire sections of what the world thought were ecumenical councils because they erred on ecclesiology.

This ex post facto special pleading doesn't change the reality at the time. When there were 3 validly-elected popes at the same time, then 100 years later a subsequent pope says "Pope A was the true pope, and Popes B and C were anti-popes," how does that change anything for the millions of Catholics who lived and died a century before the rewriting of history took place?

The same must happen following all of this, or else indefectibility, and even Catholicism, just becomes a joke.

On another current thread a poster is saying that we need to call a council to cancel out and nullify the heretical pope, meanwhile you are saying that we need a pope to cancel out and nullify a heretical council.

Maybe they can just cancel each other out? The heretical council can excommunicate the heretical pope while the heretical pope nullifies the heretical council.
« Last post by Graham on Today at 08:00:15 PM »
Isn't she around three-quarters white? Why the insistence on a gospel choir and stereotypical black preacher, when these would seem to have little to nothing to do with her own roots and life experience? That bodes ill for her emotional stability, but perhaps the Windsors themselves wanted to ham it up.

lol it's as if I had yodelers and bagpipes (I'm not Scottish in any way but they are white so it just makes sense) at my wedding and then everyone wrote paeans to my proud heritage of whiteness
We find ourselves at the point the Church was immediately following the GWS. Unquestionably valid popes had to cancel out and nullify entire sections of what the world thought were ecumenical councils because they erred on ecclesiology. The same must happen following all of this, or else indefectibility, and even Catholicism, just becomes a joke.

This is the GWS 1000x where nothing makes sense.

A good friend of mine resolved to leave the Catholic Church last week and become Orthodox. He stayed Catholic because of the teachings on divorce and remarriage but with the changes of AL that would apply to all moral law (i.e. sacraments mean nothing) and to Canon Law for no fault annulments he thought the Orthodox were now more consistent. For the 1st time in my life I didn't have any argument to give him. I literally sat there, mouth half open like a monkey and just said "Yeah I don't know..."

Lord save us.

« Last post by Jayne on Today at 07:38:17 PM »

He's a whipped soy boy because he doesn't realize she doesn't love him back -- she loves his position. 

You have never even met her.  You are making all these judgments about her with very little to go on.  Why would you know her better than a person who has spent lots of time with her?

Have you seen their engagement interview?

Besides, it's often easier for others who aren't blinded by a narcissist to see what's going on...

When one only sees people in interviews and through news media, one does not actually know them.  It is all an illusion.  None of us are in a position to diagnose her as a narcissist. 

It is theoretically possible that he is blinded and deceived by her.  But I would rather trust the judgement of someone who knows her than someone who has merely seen an interview.  You seemed to be basing much of your criticism on her clothing and make up choices.  Wearing too little makeup and somewhat plain clothes is not a moral fault.  There is no reason to be directing so much cattiness at this woman.
« Last post by Graham on Today at 07:37:19 PM »
The event made little sense except as a hamfisted spectacle of multiculturalism curated for (and by?) people who experience the world in terms of virtually empty and second-hand categories of identity and tradition.
« Last post by Graham on Today at 07:02:53 PM »
Isn't she around three-quarters white? Why the insistence on a gospel choir and stereotypical black preacher, when these would seem to have little to nothing to do with her own roots and life experience? That bodes ill for her emotional stability, but perhaps the Windsors themselves wanted to ham it up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10