What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

The Life of Thomas More, by Peter Ackroyd. Now I'm getting all kinds of recommendations for books about Martin Luther in my audible app. Blach.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Imperial Grunts. The American Military on the Ground by Robert Kaplan
non impediti ratione cogitationis

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on November 06, 2021, 04:08:04 PM
The Life of Thomas More, by Peter Ackroyd. Now I'm getting all kinds of recommendations for books about Martin Luther in my audible app. Blach.

How is it?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss.

Watching a ton of his videos on Youtube too. Going to apply a bunch of his principles on cold calls next week, we'll see how they do. I'm willing to bet very well, considering his outcomes were life or death.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on November 27, 2021, 09:32:04 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on November 06, 2021, 04:08:04 PM

How is it?
It's good. I read it years ago and enjoyed it.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Pan's Labyrinth. I prefer it to the movie, although both are good.
My Lord and my God.

Optatus

Bernadette

Getting ready to start Shogun, by James Clavell. Got a free credit from Audible.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on December 16, 2021, 08:54:02 AM
Getting ready to start Shogun, by James Clavell. Got a free credit from Audible.

Have you read anything by James Michener?  Centennial is a one of my favorites.  Kinda similar to James Clavell stuff
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 16, 2021, 09:36:16 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on December 16, 2021, 08:54:02 AM

Have you read anything by James Michener?  Centennial is a one of my favorites.  Kinda similar to James Clavell stuff

I have a few of his books on my kindle, but haven't read them yet. My dad loves his work.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

And Les Miserables, the Christine Donaugher translation.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

General Patton. A Soldiers Life by Stanley Hirshson
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

1Q84, by Haruki Murakami. I'm trying it again as I got distracted the first time I read it, and it's not the kind of book you can pick up again after a long absence.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

I needed a little piece of non-fiction to read after finishing A Mother's Rule of Life, and my husband suggested Brave New World by Aldous Huxley  ::)
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Prayerful

The Burgundians, Bart van Loo. It covers the history of this nation from the Germanic people originating somewhere in Eastern Europe to the Valois Burgundians who went extinct in 1477 with the death in battle of Charles the Bold (his name was really relating to his recklessness). Their territory spanning the Burgogne, Netherlands, Belgium (where Burgundian is a term for eating and living well) and was the source of such innovations as oil painting as now understood, a complex administrative and financial system and even a sort of standing army, although it did the last Dukes not much good. The Habsburgs inherited the lands, like most of their lands, by marriage. Emperor Charles V saw himself as Burgundian, while his son Philip II was indifferent, and perhaps this distance was a factor in the loss of the Netherlands.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.