Response to John Salza's claim about the SSPX

Started by Mr. Mysterious, January 18, 2022, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Mysterious

Recently John Salza wrote a piece entitled "The Failed claim of the SSPX." Rather than pick it apart I'll let others read it here:
https://onepeterfive.com/the-failed-defense-of-the-sspx-reply-to-bocca/

A thoughtful response by Dr. Brian McCall was not long in coming:
https://onepeterfive.com/the-ordinary-mission-of-the-sspx-reply-to-salza/

This line by Salza jumped out at me: "Neither Archbishop Lefebvre nor any of his bishops and priests have produced a single miracle to justify their ministry without a canonical mission, even though they claim we are suffering perhaps the greatest crisis in Church history."

Do we have miracle producing bishops today in the Novus Ordo world? If so, where are they? The only time you've heard the words "bishop" and "miracle" used in the same sentence is when someone says something along the lines of "It's a miracle Bishop X hasn't closed down more churches in his diocese."

I'll also point out that the late, almost universally respected Canon Lawyer Count Neri Capponi mentioned that the excommunication of Archbishop Lefebvre violated Canon Law.
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Prayerful

The devil and his minions can perform apparent miracles. The greatest miracle is getting many into Heaven and I think Archbishop Lefebvre surely performance that miracle. Salza 'mission' thing seems a red herring. Anyhow, we won't be seeing a new edition of TOFP, which was more an apologia for the errors of V2.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Ragnarok

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on January 18, 2022, 10:24:26 AM
This line by Salza jumped out at me: "Neither Archbishop Lefebvre nor any of his bishops and priests have produced a single miracle to justify their ministry without a canonical mission, even though they claim we are suffering perhaps the greatest crisis in Church history."

Even though I disagree with Mr. Salza - this is completely taken out of context. Mr. Salza states that, traditionally, the Church only allowed supersession of Canon Law via a person having an "Extraordinary Mission", or if God directly granted it and demonstrated it via miracle - of course, if it conformed to moral and doctrinal teaching.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, for example, ordered a Bishop (through St. Juan Diego) to build a Church. Apparitions don't have canonical authority to manage dioceses; so the Bishop demanded Our Lady a miracle to prove this command came from God, to which she obliged.

Mr. Salza's claim here is that for the SSPX to supersede licit canonical authority, they would need to prove that God directly granted it via miracle.

Elizabeth.2

Food for thought.  Interesting that this is just recent, too.  I'm biased toward Mr. McCall and Catholic Family News in general.

tradical

Salsa appears to have fallen into a form of extreme or literal thinking.

For him there appears to be only two in option: either God works miracles to give his seal of approval, or the pope does.

He doesn't seem to hold with any disobedience and so he now seems to share a philosophy with the sedevacantist that he opposes.  Either Francis is the pope and he must be obeyed in all things, or he is not the pope and is to be disregarded in all things.

I am looking for time to write about this on my blog, should be fun to dig into his arguments.
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Bubba

1. Bishop Tissier de Mallerais, SSPX performed a successful exorcism without normal canonical status.

2. The Society has a list of miracles presented to the Vatican attributed to ABL's intercession, in the cause for his future canonization.

3. The greatest miracle attributed to ABL/SSPX is the preservation of Catholic Tradition largely because of them, including the existence of the ED groups and TLM indults. 

Xavier

Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)