Whit Ember Days

Started by Jayne, June 02, 2020, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Here is some information on how the summer Ember days were treated until recently. 

QuoteWhen Are the Whit Ember Days?
The Whit Ember Days are always on the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after Pentecost Sunday. 

Fasting Rules for Whit Embertide
The fasting rules apply to everyone who is 18 years of age through 59 years of age.

How Much Food Can I Eat?
One full meal and two smaller meals, that when combined, do not equal a full meal.

Wednesday after Pentecost – Fasting & Partial Abstinence

Partial abstinence: meat is allowed during the main meal of the day.

Friday after Pentecost :  Fasting & Abstinence

Full abstinence: No meat is allowed for Latin Rite Catholics.  Fish, eggs and cheese are allowed.

Saturday after Pentecost – Fasting & Abstinence

Full abstinence: No meat is allowed for Latin Rite Catholics.  Fish, eggs and cheese are allowed.
https://www.beautysoancient.com/whit-embertide-summer-all-you-need-to-know-about-whit-ember-days/

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

mikemac

Is this just the 1st Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after Pentecost Sunday?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

MundaCorMeum

Ember Days are 4 times a year: Lucy, Ash, Cross, Dove.  The Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday following the feasts of St. Lucy, Ash Wednesday, Holy Cross, and Pentecost.

They are observed in thanksgiving for the gifts of the earth (harvest) God has bestowed on mankind

(Edited for spelling).

mikemac

Must be just the 1st Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after Pentecost Sunday.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: mikemac on June 02, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
Must be just the 1st Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after Pentecost Sunday.

For the particular group of Ember Days associated with Pentecost, yes, just the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday following Pentecost Sunday.  There are still the three other groups of Ember Days throughout the year.

Jayne

I didn't even notice until Mike posted that the way it was phrased in the article was ambiguous.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

mikemac

I'm not sure why I was thinking it would be more than the 3 days anyway.

Source

MundaCorMeum

Just in case it is helpful to anyone, I'll share how we remember our ember day fasting (it's really easy to forget).  My daughter cut down a piece of purple card stock to slightly bigger than note card size.  She glued a magnet to the back, and on Ember Days, we stick it to the microwave to remind us to fast.  It's actually very helpful.  We store it on the side of the fridge the rest of the time, so it's not cluttering the house or getting lost, either.

MundaCorMeum

I forgot the most important part!  She drew a little cross on the top, and 'Ember Day' on the front.